PDA

View Full Version : Help!! I drank very expired coconut milk!

Roosterruby
08-11-16, 04:10
Hi there, you all!!
I am an enormous hypochondriac and I have severe phobias/anxiety, so any advice/words of wisdom you have here would be GREATLY appreciated!
I just popped open a carton of refrigerated coconut milk and drank a good half glass (my best friend did the same.). The carton was swollen, but I foolishly ignored this! After drinking the milk, I noticed its expiration date was October 14th! Yikes! It didn't taste strange but I don't think that means much. I am terrified I will get salmonella, as I hear it grows quite well on rotten coconuts! I proceeded to throw up, but the coconut milk didn't come up! Just my dinner!
Has anyone done something similar to this? What would you do if you were in my shoes? Thank you so so so so much for reading this!

Scaredlady
08-11-16, 04:20
Was the date "Best by" or "Use by"?

Not that it's too relevant though because if there was no foul odour/flavour/appearance (obviously there wasn't or you wouldn't have drunk a decent amount) then I'm pretty sure it was safe to drink if it was stored correctly and you've already said it was in the fridge, so that's good.

Roosterruby
08-11-16, 04:25
It was Best Before! Thank you for your comfort- I appreciate it a lot!

MyNameIsTerry
08-11-16, 05:40
What do your best before dates mean in the US?

Over here we have Best Before and Use By. Best Before just means the date the manufacturer guarantees quality by, nothing more. Use By is added to products that can cause illness if eaten later, so these are considered important. However, food experts say it matters more about the smell, texture, taste, etc even with these and some are safe to eat afterwards, whereas some are absolute no-no's (like shellfish).

I've eaten cheese, drank milks, eaten yoghurt, etc after the Use By by up to about 4-5 days with no problems.