PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong/brain tumour

Ljthompson10
08-11-16, 16:31
Hello.

I am fearing a brain tumour again and would just like a reasurrance message from the main account to look at when I'm in fear

I have no headaches
No nausea
No vommitting
No seizures
Had my eyes tested and they were fine.
No real severe drowsiness.

But I don't feel myself and feel quite negative a lot of the time especially when I seem to focus too much out of my eyes and 'try to be happy'. I feel quite dazy sometimes and feel like there is a black cloud over my head/eyes and then I start to notice my floaters.

I just don't feel like 'the happy boy I used to be and feel like something is attached to me that I just want to GO AWAY!!

It's a very wierd feeling that I can't EXPLAIN

Firstly...
Do I have a brain tumour?
And secondly is there anything seriously wrong with me (I have been worrying constantly for 9 weeks now!!)

Thanks guys x

KeeKee
08-11-16, 16:41
If you truly can't help but seek reassurance for a brain tumour, then you need to look elsewhere. I love this website but ultimately people telling me I don't have x, y or z doesn't really help (it does/did to a certain extent but not in the same way a medical professional would).

You are basically saying you have no symptoms yet still worrying. You need real help, we have all been where you are. My Health Anxiety used to destroy my every thoughts and I even once lost 3lbs due to it (I'm a comfort eater and for me to lose my appetite is a big deal).

Now I still have HA and still get those odd heart pounding moments where I think something is up, but this year I've worried about 2 major things (Ovarian Cancer and Inflammatory Breast Cancer), I truly thought it was possible I had one or the other, yet I still ate, read, watched TV etc, it didn't tear me apart. Basically saying I no longer suffer the way you are right now and that's because I got real help (and yes contrary to what most believe reassurance did help me, my GP has been amazingly patient, kind and empathetic).

Go to your GP, mention your BT fear if you have to and also mention your health anxiety issues and they should be able to offer you further help.

Fishmanpa
08-11-16, 16:44
Might want to revisit these....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=190280
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=190471
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=190671
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=190623

Positive thoughts

Ljthompson10
08-11-16, 16:50
No one gives reasurrance

KatiePink
08-11-16, 16:55
No one gives reasurrance

Nobody gives reassurance on here? 🙈

Please tell us you didn't mean that.

Gary A
08-11-16, 17:03
No one gives reasurrance

What do you deem as "reassurance" if you don't mind me asking?

I mean, seriously, look through your threads and they're chock full of posts telling you that you really don't have whichever illness you're concerned about.

In what way is that not reassurance?

Ljthompson10
08-11-16, 17:06
Nobody gives reassurance on here? 🙈

Please tell us you didn't mean that.

No I don't mean to sound harsh but a few people comment on all of my threads and instead of talking about my issue and making we feel better/giving reasurrance they just change the topic and ruin the thread.

Sorry I don't mean to come across and ass

KatiePink
08-11-16, 17:14
If you truly can't help but seek reassurance for a brain tumour, then you need to look elsewhere. I love this website but ultimately people telling me I don't have x, y or z doesn't really help (it does/did to a certain extent but not in the same way a medical professional would).

You are basically saying you have no symptoms yet still worrying. You need real help, we have all been where you are. My Health Anxiety used to destroy my every thoughts and I even once lost 3lbs due to it (I'm a comfort eater and for me to lose my appetite is a big deal).

Now I still have HA and still get those odd heart pounding moments where I think something is up, but this year I've worried about 2 major things (Ovarian Cancer and Inflammatory Breast Cancer), I truly thought it was possible I had one or the other, yet I still ate, read, watched TV etc, it didn't tear me apart. Basically saying I no longer suffer the way you are right now and that's because I got real help (and yes contrary to what most believe reassurance did help me, my GP has been amazingly patient, kind and empathetic).

Go to your GP, mention your BT fear if you have to and also mention your health anxiety issues and they should be able to offer you further help.

Great reply KeeKee. Hope you're well x

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

No I don't mean to sound harsh but a few people comment on all of my threads and instead of talking about my issue and making we feel better/giving reasurrance they just change the topic and ruin the thread.

Sorry I don't mean to come across and ass

Well maybe those people shouldn't comment anymore. But then you would probably get no replies at all.

Ljthompson10
08-11-16, 17:16
Your horrid to me on every thread. So just leave.

Thanks babes x

KatiePink
08-11-16, 17:18

Thanks babes x

:roflmao:

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

And for the record, that wasn't a 'horrible' comment. Just a truthful observation, in that 'those people' you refer to are the only ones who reply to your threads and you are rude to them.

Thanks goodnight

Dave_Lister
08-11-16, 17:53

Thanks babes x

LJ, I think it is time that you spoke with your Mum about her taking you to your Gp and talk this out.

There have bee multiple users on here give you the reassurance that you are looking for, but it isn't helping you son.

I think your only recourse is to go to your GP, and take your Mum, or Dad and have them sit with you while you tell the GP what you are feeling.

Your GP can refer you for a CT scan, and that will alleviate all your fears once it comes back clean(which I am 100% sure it will).

You can't be taking runs at people on this site when they are trying to reassure you and prompt you to go and get the help you need.

I know you are very stressed out right now, and so am I, but I went and saw my GP, and got him to give me some help with the HA I am having right now.

If you were my son, I would want to know that there was something wrong, so start with your parents first. Can you speak with your Mum or Dad about this?

Elen
08-11-16, 18:13
Go to the GP by all means but ask for help with your anxiety.

A CT scan is expensive and will provide re-assurance for a nano second.

Then we will swing back to the schizophrenia fear which is also groundless.

People have given you loads of re-assurance but instead of being grateful you decide to have a go.

People on a forum can only do so much, sadly the rest is up to you. That applies to the rest of us as well, just in case you think that I am singling you out.

Go to the doctor, explain how your mind is jumping from one illness to another and ask for some proper help.

Gary A
08-11-16, 21:11

Thanks babes x

"Wah wah wah, people are mean to me and don't respond exactly how I think they should. :weep:"

What an ungrateful little person. You might not mean to come across as an ass but by god you do anyway.

Colicab85
08-11-16, 22:23
Try to use reason and logic. In your opening post you said yourself that you have no symptoms of a brain tumour.

If you have none of the symptoms, it's unlikely you have it. You have all the reassurance you need and you provided it yourself.

You're not going to get any reassurance from any one here because you already know you don't have a tumour. Reassurance is given if someone has genuine symptoms of the things they fear like lumps or vomiting or whatever.

If you have no symptoms and your fear has no basis in reality then expect replies like the ones you have been given.

Oh and, you absolutely do not have a brain tumour.

MyNameIsTerry
08-11-16, 22:45
To be fair, several members were hinting at him being a fake profile and that derailed one thread. So, I'm hardly surprised he is upset about that.

But he needs to recognise that people have been trying to help too and not to generalise about all posters.

Let's not descend into inflammatory posting and end up in an argument again on the forum.

Anyway, as KeeKee said, some can use reassurance to rationalise, it's not always part of the cycle since HA has various forms. In the case of the OP though, it's evident it is and constantly openly seeking it shows this.

Scaredlady
09-11-16, 00:31
LJ you don't have a brain tumour, just as I previously told you that in my opinion you do not have the other illness that you fear.

I understand why people are against the reassurance method, I get it, I really do but as I said a few days ago if someone is only getting to grips with their anxiety it is natural that they would not yet have the vast array of coping mechanisms that other members have, so perhaps a little patience and more compassion is in order in some of these conversations.

I know personally that at times I feel the need for reassurance but by the same token I have started to take steps to help myself; Whereas I sense LJ has not. LJ you really need to speak to a doctor and I would sincerely implore you to do so asap.

hanshan
09-11-16, 05:27
Reassurance is at best a temporary relief from health anxiety. That can be justified if the person genuinely understands their condition and is working on ways of getting better. Too often, however, the health anxiety sufferer won't let go and comes back countering the reassurance with further symptoms and questions like "But what if ...?" and "Isn't there still a slight chance ...?"

Most folks here would love to give reassurance if they genuinely thought it would put an end to the health anxiety.

MyNameIsTerry
09-11-16, 05:56
LJ you don't have a brain tumour, just as I previously told you that in my opinion you do not have the other illness that you fear.

I understand why people are against the reassurance method, I get it, I really do but as I said a few days ago if someone is only getting to grips with their anxiety it is natural that they would not yet have the vast array of coping mechanisms that other members have, so perhaps a little patience and more compassion is in order in some of these conversations.

I know personally that at times I feel the need for reassurance but by the same token I have started to take steps to help myself; Whereas I sense LJ has not. LJ you really need to speak to a doctor and I would sincerely implore you to do so asap.

I think you make a very good point. Something I've seen many times is how some people get frustrated at the lack of progression within a thread or a group a threads by a member like this and it has felt to me like people seem to expect a magic "aha" moment, an epiphany, that changes the person's thinking to stop them reaching for reassurance.

I understand why it's frustrating but at the same time I know how many years it has taken me to get to where I am now. It took a couple of years to rid myself of my many compulsions, and some of the strongest obsessions are still being worked on 5 years from when they started.

But I have reassurance-seeking compulsions in my OCD and so no one will know much about what I'm going through and what I am working on.

Somewhere between the two, there must be the person on scale from no reassurance to fever pitch reassurance, and then how many like me who spend as long but you never know about us?

Mercime
09-11-16, 07:01

You make reasonable points, but is there not a strong possibility that continued reassurance can be detrimental? In this case I decided to stop answering his posts. He is 17, is starting/has started therapy, and attends a sixth form college. Our opinions may differ on this, but I don't believe spending time getting reassurance on here is conducive to helping himself.

I do also have a problem with people who chuck their toys out of the pram when they don't get the responses they want, but that's just my personal feelings.

MyNameIsTerry
09-11-16, 08:12
You make reasonable points, but is there not a strong possibility that continued reassurance can be detrimental? In this case I decided to stop answering his posts. He is 17, is starting/has started therapy, and attends a sixth form college. Our opinions may differ on this, but I don't believe spending time getting reassurance on here is conducive to helping himself.

I do also have a problem with people who chuck their toys out of the pram when they don't get the responses they want, but that's just my personal feelings.

Not for all, it depends if it's part of the cycle for them. For the OP, it clearly is. The trouble is, how can you ever stop it? If it's going to make things worse, that's a different story but I think it's naïve to think people like this don't just head to another forum, ask friends, ask parents, etc.

I agree with you on your last point, but also being fair we should remember what happened in the last thread and that Admin had to tell members they were barking up the wrong tree. The OP needs to put them behind him too, but one effect could have been him leaving the forum because of being upset and none of us want that.

Mercime
09-11-16, 08:26
Terry, I also consider the feelings of someone who was called "horrible", maybe they were upset too. I think that there should be an apology made for that. There is no excuse for rudeness, from either the OP OR those answering his posts.
Regarding your first point, I see what you are getting at but again, it's down to personal viewpoint. I have watched Lj's posts from the beginning and seen them get more frequent and more fixated, therefore I conclude that more input from me - I don't speak for anyone else - is not a good idea.

On that note, I'll bow out, I don't wish to prolong this thread and I've got my own stuff going on. I sincerely hope that Lj has a better day.

Ljthompson10
09-11-16, 08:26
Guys. I am getting help and I'm all honesty in day to day life you could say I'm doing a lot better.

I'm sorry for the strops. I just didn't appreciate not being taken seriously. And reasurrance does help me (even my therapist said) - and sometimes I just need people to tell me how silly I'm being and that I do NOT have a tumour on my brain. !!!!

MyNameIsTerry
09-11-16, 08:32
Yes, apologies from BOTH sides. When you accuse someone of, or start hints for others (loading the gun), there is a good chance they will react. He did. Not all are so willing to take it like Reb does.

---------- Post added at 08:32 ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 ----------

Guys. I am getting help and I'm all honesty in day to day life you could say I'm doing a lot better.

I'm sorry for the strops. I just didn't appreciate not being taken seriously. And reasurrance does help me (even my therapist said) - and sometimes I just need people to tell me how silly I'm being and that I do NOT have a tumour on my brain. !!!!

Well I think you need to address this with your therapist because the kind of reassurance-seeking you are doing at the moment reinforced anxiety. If you have OCD, I know for a fact your therapist shouldn't be encouraging that, albeit it has to continue until he/she helps you eliminate it BUT that doesn't mean encouraging it.

I suggest the way to approach this issue is to print off these threads and hand them to him/her. I would be very surprised if they thought what I have seen is a good thing. Whilst I didn't follow much of the brain tumour one, I did the others and that is a typical problem with some forms of anxiety.

Colicab85
09-11-16, 08:44
I feel I should also apologise, I didn't want my post to be a curt as it is as I read it back.

I feel I should reiterate that if there are no symptoms of a brain tumour then, logic dictates, you don't have one.

Gary A
09-11-16, 08:56

It's not a case of not being taken seriously, it's a case of people not taking your imaginary illness seriously. Why would they? It's imaginary.

On one hand you're telling people that you want to be told your worries are unfounded, yet on the other you want to be "taken seriously." As much as there were one or two people a bit suspicious about your first few posts, for the most part, people gave you very good solid advice.

Dont get caught in the trap of only wanting to discuss whichever illness you think you have, all that does is give that fear attention that it simply doesn't deserve. Focus on your actual condition, which is anxiety.

Ljthompson10
09-11-16, 08:57
I'm gonna lay off the forum a bit guys.

Calm my anxiety and have fun

Gary A
09-11-16, 09:00
I'm gonna lay off the forum a bit guys.

Calm my anxiety and have fun

I think that's a very good idea.