PDA

View Full Version : Did I have a small pulmonary embolism?

blox123
09-11-16, 08:41
When I was around 8 weeks pregnant I had a quire sudden dullish pain in the centre of my chest..it spread to my left arm and jaw.. It hurt if I tried to take a deep breath.. It went away after around 20 or so minutes... I never went to my go, until around 6 weeks later after wondering whether I'd had a heart attack... He told me he didn't think I had and put it down to anxiety... It has now been about 12 weeks since the pain in my chest and I've read about pulmonary embolism.. It seems to match my symptoms. Do you think this is what I had? And what should I do next.

GadGirl
09-11-16, 15:58
Hi Hun, TBH I'm not a doctor but if you had something like that I'm sure you would have ended up in hospital for it. My friend had one of them and was quite ill in hospital for a while.

SLA
09-11-16, 15:59
Did I have a small pulmonary embolism?

Probably not.

But worth getting checked.

Catherine S
09-11-16, 18:21
The fact that you were sitting in front of him 6 weeks after it happened talking about it, would probably have been enough for him to know you hadn't experienced anything serious. He would've referred you to a cardiologist if he thought it was, especially as you are pregnant. Best wishes.

ISB x

blox123
10-11-16, 11:25
I went to see the gp again yesterday and feel like I just get fobbed off because they put me down as having anxiety!
I know the pain I had was not normal and it's been bothering me for 12 weeks but they won't look into it further, I feel even more vulnerable being pregnant x

Catherine S
10-11-16, 11:53
Did your doctor listen to your heart through a stethoscope when you were there? That's the least he could do to reassure you I would've thought. But pregnancy itself can bring many changes to your body as it gets itself ready to accommodate a growing baby, and we get all sorts of random pains as muscles begin to shift. Also, depending on your anxiety levels, it could be that anxiety has made your muscles much more tense and that can result in alot of pain. Another thing is the changes to your digestion so heartburn, very common in pregnancy..might be to blame.

But you know your own body best, and if you feel fobbed off ask if you can talk to someone else such as a practice nurse, or even your local pharmacist as they are really good with listening and advising people about all sorts of symptoms and medications.

ISB x

blox123
10-11-16, 12:21
It just annoys me, I've been refused any investigation because I'm a young woman.. If an older man said he'd had such severe central chest pain going into the jaw and arm I'm sure he would have been offered something 😪 X

Fishmanpa
10-11-16, 12:36
It just annoys me, I've been refused any investigation because I'm a young woman.. If an older man said he'd had such severe central chest pain going into the jaw and arm I'm sure he would have been offered something 😪 X

Yes, you've been refused investigation because your situation doesn't warrant it! And yes, it's because you're a young woman with a history of anxiety and it's exactly what you said about feeling more vulnerable because your pregnant (hormones and all that fun stuff). Look at where you're posting this. If you're that vehement about this then pay your hard earned money for reassurance you absolutely don't need. I'm sure it will be a "told ya so" moment.

blox123
10-11-16, 12:45
If you look at my post history you will see I haven't used this forum for quite a long time before posting about my concern over this! Young people can and do have serious things happen to them.. And like I said I'm more at risk of blood clots because of being pregnant! I don't think it's fair to be turned away purely based on my age x

Fishmanpa
10-11-16, 12:56
Then pay to get a 2nd opinion. I gave you mine.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts