PDA

View Full Version : OCD or eating disorder?

Butterfly22
09-11-16, 13:12
I suffer from GAD and OCD, have been dieting for sometime have done very well just need to shift the last half a stone, but I feel I've developed a problem, I'm always thinking about food, eating in a way to prevent hunger, worry about what to eat and when to eat, seemingly always hungry, feel very guilty if I have a bad day, feel fat even though I'm losing weight, I seem to feel compelled to eat even when not hungry, any help please?

Scaredlady
10-11-16, 00:21
Hi Butterfly.

Firstly, you sound incredibly hard on yourself and that must be exhausting. I hate the idea of "fad diets" as I always find them to be restrictive beyond necessity and at the end of the day why shouldn't we allow our selves a little treat if we want one?

If you're obsessing about food to any degree it's obviously playing on your mind but it doesn't need to. Three decent meals a day and maybe a snack or two, plenty of water, you shouldn't be beating yourself up or feeling that you have to limit or indulge excessively.. If you have a "bad" day and decide to eat the contents of your entire fridge, so what? It won't affect anyone else and you can get back on track the following day. If you want a chocolate bar, have one, if you want an apple, have one.

Are you receiving any therapy or seeing a doctor? You should speak to them about it if you feel it has become overly obsessive. What medication are you on? Sertraline has made me feel starving for the last few days and today I really over indulged but that's alright, I consider it a treat.

Please don't be harsh with yourself. Perhaps a food journal might help? If you for the next 7 days kept a record of what you eat/what your mood is on each day etc you may be able to determine the negative pattern (if there is one).

Loads of people advised me to cut out refined sugars/caffeine as it can worsen anxiety, so I did but it didn't make the slightest bit of difference. Sorry if none of this is of any help to you but I hope you find some peace soon, good luck!

Carley79
13-11-16, 11:44
Sounds like you are underrating. I don't want to advertise any diets here but I would advice to eat as much as you want but healthy foods. Like raw tomato chips or Kale chips.