PDA

View Full Version : Song stuck in my head - urgency to find out what it is!

Arron1
09-11-16, 15:33
Hi all,

I haven't posted on here for a while as my anxiety has been a lot more controlled and I have been doing better then before. I have suddenly today felt very distressed and in panic mode. I was playing a line of a song in my head, and I could not remember what song it was from. I frantically tried searching the lyrics for the song to no avail and it feels almost like I must know the song before I can calm down.

Forgive me if this sounds really silly, I know it does to myself and I have been trying to convince myself it is just a song, but I don't feel calm until I know the song. I have had similar feelings before if I have lost an item and cannot find it, however, this has only recently developed.

Please can anyone advise me what I should do in this situation. I don't mind playing the song in my head as I have dealt with intrusive thoughts before and realised fighting it makes it worse. This however, feels different as I am panicking about the song and cannot feel reassured until I know where it is from.

I apologise if this seems really trivial, I haven't experienced anything like this before and it is causing my anxiety and panic to rocket.

Thank you all.

A

SLA
09-11-16, 15:41
Can you hum it for us? :D

The best way to remember something is to not try and remember.

Focus on doing other things, and eventually the answer will pop into your head.

Is there a downside to not remembering the song?

Arron1
09-11-16, 15:46
Hi,

haha i wish i could hum it. Appreciate your reply to my thread once again.

I am fully aware if I do not know/remember the song it is of no concern really. But for some reason with my heightened anxiety, I feel I have to to know before I can continue as normal (again, I realise how silly this sounds).

Thank you for your reply to this and my previous posts.

A

Chachi
09-11-16, 16:19
Hi!
I know exactly how you're feeling. I suffer from OCD and when my anxiety was at its peak, I would wake up with songs in my head, sometimes alternating between two. It was what actually triggered my anxiety and panic.

I still have songs in my head but can dismiss them more easily and before I know it they're gone. So try to not think about it. I also know that at the peak of my anxiety I would have random thoughts and would have to know where they came from. I once remember thinking of outdoor yoga and wondering why. It literally was driving my nuts because I had a visual of it in my head, so I sat for hours and went through all my social media and eventually found what I had been thinking about. Someone had posted a video on Instagram.

Anyway, I should have dismissed it and let it go but I couldn't because I had to know what it was. My advice, is to let it go, it doesn't matter. The more you think about it the longer it will be in your head.

Arron1
09-11-16, 16:21
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate the importance of letting it go and paying it no mind, but sometimes I have to know the origination of the song otherwise I cant rest.

Its really hard.

A

SLA
09-11-16, 16:37
Is it you that needs to know, or your OCD thoughts?

Just because we have certain thoughts that make us feel a certain way doesn't mean we need to entertain them.

When you start to let go of the importance of these OCD thoughts, they usually subside over time.

So while it would be nice to remember the song, not remembering and accepting that is what YOU ultimately want.

I get these kind of things a lot. Its very easy to let them ruin your day, but eventually, when you stop panicking about them, they go away.

Catherine S
09-11-16, 17:06
Is it just the melody you have in your head, or are there any words? Google is pretty good at giving you the title of a song with even just one or two words from it. Might be worth a try . It's not only ocd sufferers who get frustrated by this :-/

ISB x

Arron1
09-11-16, 20:18
Is it you that needs to know, or your OCD thoughts?

Just because we have certain thoughts that make us feel a certain way doesn't mean we need to entertain them.

When you start to let go of the importance of these OCD thoughts, they usually subside over time.

So while it would be nice to remember the song, not remembering and accepting that is what YOU ultimately want.

I get these kind of things a lot. Its very easy to let them ruin your day, but eventually, when you stop panicking about them, they go away.

Hi

It is defo the OCD that needs to know, as I dont really care. I have been in this position before and not needed to care at all, but for some reason when i get it now i have an urgency to want to know and I begin a panic attack. Although i can control a panic attack I cannot help constantly thinking of this.

Hope this helps and thank you once more for taking the time to reply.

A

---------- Post added at 20:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Is it just the melody you have in your head, or are there any words? Google is pretty good at giving you the title of a song with even just one or two words from it. Might be worth a try . It's not only ocd sufferers who get frustrated by this :-/

ISB x

Hi

I tried this last night to no luck. Its annoying that I have to resort to that to feel better though.

Thanks for your response

A