PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! Fear that i'm going blind - Could my visual symptoms be anxiety related?

floracia
09-11-16, 17:21
Hi!
So I'm 16 years old, I've always had perfect vision, never needed glasses, never damaged my eyes or had any visual problems (aside from the auras I get before migraines). I have severe GAD and recently have been experiencing particularly high stress levels due to school etc. Last night I felt intensely uneasy and just plain 'weird' which is the best way I can describe it, as if I was on the brink of losing my mind. I knew it was my anxiety (had felt like that before) so I'd tried to distract myself and did succeed in calming down for about an hour or so. I'd been getting this recurring fear that I was about to have a seizure (despite not being epileptic) and as I sat on my bed after pacing manically around my house with my headphones in to burn off the anxious energy, I noticed a slight flashing in my vision (and I knew from hypochondria-fuelled research that flashing lights were a symptom of a seizure). Instantly the panic rose and suddenly I became hypersensitive to all the little flashing, jolting patterns in my eyes, which seemed to be intensified. I freaked out thinking I was going blind. For the rest of the evening I had 'visual snow'. It was HORRIBLE. And when I awoke in the morning it hadn't gone! Although it wasn't severe during the day, now it's the evening and the light levels are low the visual snow is worse. It's not the only odd visual thing I've been experiencing, here are some others:
- jolting vision (especially in my peripheral vision after I blink)
- random flashes
- trembling vision
Could these be created by my anxiety? After googling about visual snow it appears that it's quite rare and none of the known causes really apply to me. I'm basically after some reassurance that it's psychosomatic? Or maybe just an exaggeration of my normal vision that I'm noticing more because I'm hypersensitive to it. Has anyone got any similar experiences? Thank you !
:) (By the way my eyesight itself hasn't been impaired, I can still see things clearly, it's just this awful veil of flashing dots like a TV static over everything!)

SLA
09-11-16, 19:29
Whats your diet like, and do you drink plenty of water?

Simple things like eating poorly, and being dehydrated can cause anxiety problems, and poor vision.

Just reading this reminded me of a weird phase I went through earlier in the year.

When I looked out of the window I was convinced that it was raining. But it never was. There was a very weird visual disturbance going on.

It was a stressful time, and my anxiety was high. Haven't had it since.

Could be that.

randomforeigner
10-11-16, 03:56
Old people (like over 50) might sometimes suffer from something called retinal detachment, but since you're 16, it's pretty unlikely in your case for two reasons: age, and that the symptoms don't quite fit in, although the 'flashes' and the mentioning of it affecting your peripheral vision might be interesting to notice.

The other option I can think of is migraine. It says on the web "Aura may occur before or during migraines. Auras are symptoms of the nervous system. They are usually visual disturbances, such as flashes of light or wavy, zigzag vision." I have two colleagues who has had migraine for years, and one is now approaching sixty, and isn't blind yet. But when the migraine hits (with the aura) they head home for that day.

A third option is that it's something called "mouches volante" that a lot of us older people get, and annoying as those are, they don't include anything that can be described as 'flashes'.

Anyway, given what you describe, to be on the safe side, you might just as well go and see an eye doctor today. It's probably nothing worth worrying about, but that way you'll get it out of your mind, and if it is the case that you of all unlucky people - very unlikely - were to have a problem, they'll find out and can treat it. There are treatments for all of these things I believe, were you to have any of these problems.

Just to make it clear that you might want to go today, and not wait and see if it disappears. You might just as well wait and see at the eye doctor's office, or at the emergency ward's waiting room, as sitting at home, worrying and panicking. Just mention the symptoms as a matter of fact, and let them decide what is the cause; anxiety or something physical.

Anyway, having glasses or not doesn't have anything to do with this, because it concerns different parts of the eye, the lens, the retina, the vitreous body, and for migraine - none of these but sort of a hiccup in the very brain itself. I'm sure you learned in school there are different parts of the eye.

Catherine S
10-11-16, 11:39
Old people over 50 Randomforeigner? What are you 12? Lol! :ohmy::D

Floracia you mention the migraine aura, well it could be just another manifestation of that. The pattern of the warning signs of a migraine can change over time, and what you are describing sounds alot like a period of time in my 20s when I felt just like you before the migraines hit. As I got older the warning signs changed yet again. Stress can bring on migraines more severely as you probably know already, and it sounds like you're pretty stressed at the moment.

ISB x

randomforeigner
10-11-16, 14:23
Old people over 50 Randomforeigner? What are you 12? Lol! :ohmy::D

Hm, actually turning 52 this December, now that you mention it.

Catherine S
10-11-16, 18:52
Really? Ah, so it was said tongue -in-cheek then :)

ISB x