PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Travel Leads To Migraines...HELP!

Frances123
10-11-16, 15:52
Any tips on dealing with travel anxiety? I've had it since elementary school. I'd go to a sleepover and be nauseous the whole night...and it wasn't because I missed my home or anything! When I became a teenager and in college I did a lot of traveling - trains/buses cross country, cheap flights overseas - and I'd be sick the first few days from anxiety/nausea. I forced myself to go because I didn't want to miss out on experiences just because of my 'condition.'

Now that I'm older (40) I don't get the nausea, but I have a sped-up heart rate, feel jittery and anxious, and get migraines. The fear of getting a migraine actually triggers one. Then I stress about vomiting in public. I have come to the point where I despise traveling, but I have to travel a little for work and also travel to another state for Christmas every year. I'm actually traveling today - going to another state for a long weekend - anxiety, sped-up heart rate, jittery, and slight pressure that will eventually lead to a migraine. How can I get over this? I don't want to go on meds if I can help it. I'm drinking a lot of water, worked out this morning, and have planned everything out. I don't know why I get so anxious. I think it's because I hate to be out of my routine. But why the extreme reaction??

I'd love to hear any advice!

randomforeigner
10-11-16, 16:07
Is it the unpredictability of the trip that's the problem, do you think? Or is it being in an enclosed space? Something else?

Frances123
10-11-16, 16:31
I don't think so. There have been times where I've felt 'trapped' (like in a center row in a packed theater) but mainly I feel..."away." I'm away from my pets. I'm away from my books. I'm away from my gym. I'm away from my routine. I've always felt this way but have forced myself to go. After a couple of days, I acclimate. But this pre-trip stress is just a killer. I had a lot of instability as a child and became very anxious. I'm sure this is just a holdover from those days! There's that feeling of being "away," but I've developed a real fear of getting sick on trips. I hate being sick away from home. Before a trip, I start panicking. Do I feel pressure in my head? Am I getting a migraine? Stress, stress. Take migraine meds. Get an upset/nauseous stomach from the medicine. Start stressing about throwing up. Stress overrides medicine and creates migraine. Migraine upsets stomach. It's a vicious cycle. I feel like it's becoming worse as I get older. Although I hate traveling, I don't WANT to. I don't want to be so inflexible that I don't want to be away from home for more than a day. I want to overcome this. I just don't know how!

randomforeigner
10-11-16, 17:00
I had a lot of instability as a child and became very anxious. I'm sure this is just a holdover from those days!
That's why we sort of end up here... :byebye:

Would it help bringing pictures of your pets and family, to have with you in the hotel room? (I read this tip somewhere). Would it help going through the itinerary in detail before so you know exactly where to be, at what time, what the carriages look like etc? Would it help bringing a roll of plastic bags with you (for the possibility of sudden vomiting out of fear)?

At least you travel in a country where you know the language. Big advantage.

Frances123
10-11-16, 17:05
Yes, that's definitely true (about the language)!

I will use those tips today! Especially the one about the plastic bag. I think that will help. Also, I'm trying my "SO WHAT?" attitude. "So what if you have to throw up?" "So what if you're sick away from home?" At least this is a short flight and a quick trip. Great for a trial run! :)