PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Akkangel
11-11-16, 03:26
Hi all! I am new to the site, and looking for support, and maybe validation in what I have been feeling of late. I have experienced anxiety throughout my life, but I never really have it a name I guess. I just know that I have an incredibly hard time coping if something bad happens. I will fixate, to the point where the rest of my life completely falls by the wayside. I can't sleep, eat, work....everything I think about surrounds that issue.

This brings me to my current situation:( My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's 3 weeks ago and is truly doing great, as is my mom. Everyone is so optimistic, he is taking charge of his health, and is even eating better and exercising. Having said all of this, it sent me into an absolute tizzy. I began doing internet research for him. Medications, things he could really do to help....and it sent me into anxiety overload. I have read every single site available, and am now also convinced I will get it, if I don't already have it:(. Since finding out, I have had the following symptoms: heart palpitations, racing pulse, insomnia, panic in the middle of the night, muscle tension, muscle twitching, I can feel my heart beating in every part of my body, and an upset stomach. The twitching terrified me, and has me fearing the worst!

I am hoping someone might be able to relate, and possibly put my mind at ease?❤️

Anxiety sucks! Thanks so much in advance:)

Scaredlady
11-11-16, 04:03
Hi.

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad but it's inspiring to hear that he (and your mum) are facing it head on together and taking pro active steps to be positive; They have my admiration for their strength.

As for what you're saying about symptoms etc, it is very much understandable that your dad's Parkinson's is playing on your mind and spilling over with the anxiety; Who wouldn't be feeling on edge?

What you describe though (palpitations, muscle tension, insomnia etc) are common anxiety related symptoms and A) You have had bouts of anxiety in your past and B) You have received news about the health of a close family member that has stressed you out which I would imagine has triggered an episode of anxiety.

You recognise that it's anxiety so you already have the tools required to put your own mind to rest - Believe yourself, ignore the anxious thoughts.

Good Luck to you and your family; I hope all turns out well.