PDA

View Full Version : Should I see another gastroenterologist?

andram
11-11-16, 21:41
I've had a sore throat for nearly 2 weeks now. I read that it may be related to acid reflux because there have been quite a few times as of recent where I have burped and had it come up in my throat and saw 2 ENT's because of it. Both of them agreed that it's probably acid reflux. I've been very scared of some type of throat/head and neck cancer so I'm trying to look at this more "realistically" but I still fear and suspect cancer.

I also saw a gastroenterologist because of a change in my bowel movements and slight stomach discomfort, and appetite changes along w/ the sore throat and mentioned acid reflux to him. He just felt around my stomach and said it was probably just nerves and urged me to start taking anti-anxiety medication again. This I can agree with - but I still think he should have checked incase I have GERD or something more serious than acid reflux I'd need some type of medication/regimen for. Do you think I should see another gastroenterologist or ask for another appointment for him for another look and maybe a sonogram, endoscopy or some other kind of tests? I've been taking the nasal spray and pill the ENT gave me for acid reflux for a little under a week now - is that too soon to expect any type of improvement? I feel like my throat is only getting worse and I'm very worried. Do you think anti-anxiety medication alone with fix these issues? Is this all just anxiety and nerve related? Need opinions/advice/suggestions/etc.

Fishmanpa
11-11-16, 21:44
I think the doctors were spot on and pursuing further medical reassurance is a waste of time and money. Treating your anxiety and making lifestyle/dietary changes along with taking the medication as prescribed will do more in the long term than pursuing a diagnosis and/or further testing.

Positive thoughts

andram
12-11-16, 03:08
I'm autistic low-income, and live in the US so I have Medicare as my primary insurance, so money isn't necessarily an issue in regards to my healthcare fortunately.

I just feel like something is going on gastrointestinally possibly and want the reassurance that it's not cancer either, which I fear and feel is another possibility, despite being 22 years old and would like it checked out ASAP, as I've been very scared of HPV-related cancers after being diagnosed with HPV and being a former smoker. I agree anxiety is something I need to fix and work on, but unfortunately I don't have an appointment with my physiatrist for another 2 weeks and I'm still worried and scared.

Super_Freaked
12-11-16, 03:54
your 22 it's very very unlikely you have cancer, it's just stress and 2 weeks for a symptom is nothing. You should probably listen to your doctors, after all they know what they are talking about where as your just guessing completely.

EKB
12-11-16, 11:50
When I was suffering from gastritis, which came on with anxiety, I read a paper that really turned things around for me. I had been on a series of anti acid meds for months that were barely putting a dent in my symptoms. The paper was a study that showed that those who had functional gastro issues did not get better on anti acid medication alone until they addressed their anxiety.

Your gut is like your second brain, and anxiety will screw it up is basically the bottom line. So whether you have GERD, gastritis, or IBS, unless you also work on your anxiety the other stuff will not get better. Listen to your doctors. It's not "just anxiety" rather anxiety is a very real part of what's affecting your health.

pulisa
12-11-16, 11:52
When I was suffering from gastritis, which came on with anxiety, I read a paper that really turned things around for me. I had been on a series of anti acid meds for months that were barely putting a dent in my symptoms. The paper was a study that showed that those who had functional gastro issues did not get better on anti acid medication alone until they addressed their anxiety.

Your gut is like your second brain, and anxiety will screw it up is basically the bottom line. So whether you have GERD, gastritis, or IBS, unless you also work on your anxiety the other stuff will not get better. Listen to your doctors. It's not "just anxiety" rather anxiety is a very real part of what's affecting your health.

Wonderful post, EKB and so true.

andram
14-11-16, 06:19
If you have the link for the paper/study please link me! I'd love to read it, but your response was good and very well said too.

I̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶f̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶y̶p̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶e̶c̶k̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶c̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶s̶y̶m̶p̶t̶o̶m̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶c̶e̶r̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶ :frown: