PDA

View Full Version : High blood pressure and pulse when ill

Steviewoodman
12-11-16, 18:43
I've had a pretty bad cold for the last week and the worst cough for the last few days, which is a mucusy hacking cough. On the whole, I'm feeling OK, it's just a general cold I think.

However, earlier, I could feel my heart beating a bit loudly, and there's a blood pressure machine in my bathroom so I checked it. The results are very high, and it's made me feel very anxious since. The results were 145/92 with a 99 pulse.

Since taking it, I've felt a bit jittery, light headed, clammy and few stabs of chest pain which I'm putting down to anxiety. I'm a bit worried that maybe there's a hidden infection like in the lung and ultimately I'm worried about something going suddenly badly wrong, like a heart failure or collapsing etc. The results are as high as its ever been, even at my worst anxiety points.

I've taken the blood pressure 3 times today including after sitting down for an hour, and all the results are pretty much identical.

Is this a concern or is it just because of my cold?

xBettyBoopx
12-11-16, 18:58
First off go to your bin and chuck the blood pressure machine out!!:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: No good can come of any of us anxiety sufferers having any kind of 'what's going on in my body' machine!! :weep::weep:

If you're anxious it doesn't really matter whether your sitting down, standing up or running, your blood pressure will always be high.

If you have a high temperature because of infection your heart rate will be higher, it's just your body trying to fight off the infection, it happens to us all except we anxiety sufferers feel it more and worry about it.

There is no point in me telling you not to worry coz I know that you will that's what an anxious mind does! I have only a half an hour ago messaged someone and told them I have a pain in my chest left side going through to my back, why can't I just tell myself it's indigestion and not that I'm having a heart attack!!! Only time will tell us that we don't have what we think we have........until the next thing, right? :weep::mad::mad::mad:

Steviewoodman
12-11-16, 19:07
It is a bit silly, because apart from the cold, I actually feel ok in myself and not anxious at all, until I checked and now I'm all over the place, and all I can feel is my beating heart. I'm home alone too, which doesn't help.

Beckybecks
12-11-16, 19:54
That readings not all that high. If you'd said 180 over 110 then I'd agree.
Every time you check you'll cause yourself more anxiety and a higher BP
Whenever I go to the dr I feel very anxious and my BP is always up.
Stop taking your BP, rest up until you recover from your cold.
The anxiety is causing a lot of those symptoms.

Sparkling_Fairy
12-11-16, 20:04
Your pulse is raised anyway when you're sick.
Mine was pretty high all week I had a cold. Your body is fighting off a cold. So your heart will work a little bit harder

dale12345
12-11-16, 20:24
I agree with everything everyone has said.

Steviewoodman
12-11-16, 20:27
Thanks guys, I'm reassured now. I was worried about getting chest infections because they can turn nasty. Right now, my ear seems to have blocked itself and feels heavy and I'm worrying about never being able to hear again or whether the heaviness is the start of a stroke!

I need to somehow work on my first thoughts!