PDA

View Full Version : Kidney worries

heyitsmeyou
13-11-16, 01:12
Good evening. Would a generalized urinalysis pick up on kidney deseases? I recently had one along with other blood work as routine tests for a minor fatty liver I have. I've noticed that my face and arms have been a lot redder recently and that I've been urinating more frequently. I know that frequent urination is pretty common with stress/anxiety but my skin turning red is worrying my quite a bit. I had the tests done about a month ago but my GP never mentioned anything about my urinalysis. My feet and ankles do not seem to be swollen, and the appearance of my urine seems fine (not dark, foamy, etc) I have textbook perfect blood pressure. 30 years old, non smoker, quit drinking a year ago. Thanks guys.

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:10 ----------

I should also mention that I have no known allergies.

hanshan
13-11-16, 01:55
I'm not an expert, but clearly a urinalysis can be helpful in pointing to some of the problems with kidneys/bladder/urinary tract. However, be careful of self-diagnosis based on some very general symptoms that everyone gets from time to time. If the symptoms persist, of course see your doctor, who will consider a range of possibilities, and order any appropriate tests.

If you are insistent, the doctor will probably order a urinalysis as it's not an expensive test, but not necessarily because it is justified. If you are thinking "I just want it to be sure", it doesn't work like that in health anxiety - the anxiety will quickly return.

heyitsmeyou
13-11-16, 08:10
Yes and thank you hanshan. I'm going to book another appointment to further discuss the results.

hanshan
14-11-16, 11:46
Good luck with the appointment. There's nothing wrong with getting standard tests which are quick and inexpensive. Where I work in Japan (and I think this is a general thing in Japan) there is a free annual health check that checks everything - blood, blood pressure, electrocardiogram, urine, chest x-ray, weight, waist measurement (hate that one), eyesight, hearing - all nicely printed up to take to your doctor (with categories of anything amiss marked!) for any follow-up. Would this increase or decrease health anxiety? I don't know.

Old 68
22-04-18, 10:50
After my recent Blood test results,which showed low Iron.Doctor has given me supplements for a month.Why would he also ask me to take a Urine sample when I go for my next test.?Kidneys,not perfect,but affected by Water tablets.What could he be looking for ? I'm baffled.