PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on treatment for their HA? Should I?

thomas1998
13-11-16, 17:11
Do you guys generally recommend medical treatment for HA? (The most common ones I see are Prozac and Zoloft etc), what's the general view on them, beneficial?

I ask because I'm seriously thinking about booking an appointment and asking for a prescription of something to help with my anxiety, it's really taken over my life, every day is filled with me worrying about new symptoms and panicking about what serious illness I'm getting next. I've had a host of blood tests, a stool test, I've had two different GP's check my lymph nodes and tell me they're not concerned, etc etc yet I still worry about health issues.

The last straw for me was last night where my health anxiety creeped in to my dreams and I had what was essentially a nightmare - in my dream I was diagnosed with a serious illness & told I was dying, this was only an hour in to my sleep, I woke up in a panic, heart beating really fast, I can't believe its gone this far, I can't be worrying about my health constantly throughout the day and then going to sleep and being faced with awful dreams too.

I'm sorry I've gone on a rant here but I already feel a little better just typing it out.

Stena
13-11-16, 18:13
H,

My GP has prescribed citalopram, but I have not started it yet as I am too worried about the side-effects and becoming hooked on them. However, if I could believe it would make me feel better and get rid of the HA, I think I,would take them immediately. Would be good to hear views from others.

Glad you feel better typing it out:D

Mummytofour
13-11-16, 19:27
Hi,

I am on citalopram for my health anxiety. Was on it for 3 yrs and it worked wonders. Now after being off of it for 6 months my anxiety came back and I am just starting up again. I am on my 4th week. It does work well for me, everyone is different mind you but I personally didn't think twice when I went back to the Drs and they asked how I feel about going back on them as I had gotten bad again. Citalopram and other ssri medications are not addictive. You get withdrawal symptoms if you stop them suddenly but it's your body adjusting without them just like the side effects upon starting them. Your body is adapting to them. It is tough for the first couple of weeks but I am seeing good improvements again in myself from 3 weeks in. It's such a relief as I was in a right state just a couple of weeks ago. Don't get me wrong I am not completely better and won't be anxiety free probably for weeks yet but I am part way there.

It's a tough decision as to whether you want to start medication or not but you have to just do what's best for you. I had to do something as I have kids to look after and I couldn't think about anything other than my health, their health and terminal illnesses, dying etc and now those thoughts are lessening and I am functioning better. Any help I can be feel free to pm me or chat on here.

Maxine

katyfitz
13-11-16, 20:07
Cotalopram worked really well for me x

Dave_Lister
14-11-16, 18:28
Do you guys generally recommend medical treatment for HA? (The most common ones I see are Prozac and Zoloft etc), what's the general view on them, beneficial?

I ask because I'm seriously thinking about booking an appointment and asking for a prescription of something to help with my anxiety, it's really taken over my life, every day is filled with me worrying about new symptoms and panicking about what serious illness I'm getting next. I've had a host of blood tests, a stool test, I've had two different GP's check my lymph nodes and tell me they're not concerned, etc etc yet I still worry about health issues.

The last straw for me was last night where my health anxiety creeped in to my dreams and I had what was essentially a nightmare - in my dream I was diagnosed with a serious illness & told I was dying, this was only an hour in to my sleep, I woke up in a panic, heart beating really fast, I can't believe its gone this far, I can't be worrying about my health constantly throughout the day and then going to sleep and being faced with awful dreams too.

I'm sorry I've gone on a rant here but I already feel a little better just typing it out.

I have just started on Prozac 10mg. I am going through HA over MS.

Mine started with smelling cigarette smoke off and on, and then I googled it and brain tumors came up. I was obviously concerned, and then I started to get muscle twitches in my left arm, and then it progressed to other places on both sides of my body so I googled muscle twitches and then MS came up, and now I am scared about this now:doh:The doc gave me a neuro exam making me trace his finger with my eyes, and then he told me to push against his hand with my head, and checked my reflexes, and he says I don't have it, but I have myself so worked up.

I did blood work, and other than my cholesterol and glucose levels being, high it was normal.

I told the Dr about my HA, and he put me on Prozac, and I have been on 10 mg for about 6 days, and I am set to go up to 20mg in a day or two.

I feel a little better, but Prozac takes some time to kick in, but I am feeling a little better than I was before so i am hoping that the increase in dosage will make me feel even better.

I remember feeling like this last year with a heart scare, and it went away after a while with some help.

swajj
15-11-16, 08:24
Maybe you should see a counsellor. Medication alone isn't the answer. You sound like your HA is getting a hold of you. It gets worse the longer you do nothing so try to see someone as soon as possible.

KeeKee
15-11-16, 09:03
No medication touched my health anxiety (although Propranolol seriously helped with the physical symptoms). I believe mine was helped (I still have it but it's no longer unbearable) with time and an understanding doctor. Also staying away from Google is a big must.