PDA

View Full Version : Anxious about anxiety - give me a break!

helenhoo
13-11-16, 23:21
(i am back home for a few weeks, i feel i should clarify)

I am anxious about insomnia even though I have been sleeping like a baby for however long. I've gone through a week or two here or there but point is I am fine currently. Gone from a 'ha, remember when i worried about that' to a 'shit what if i bring it on tonight because i have thought aboit it' fear. I have been doing ALOT better and I'm picking off the bone to find something to worry about. Sigh.

nomorepanic
13-11-16, 23:24
Why are you home?

helenhoo
13-11-16, 23:42
I'm maid of honor for my sisters wedding next week! Luckily I sorted it with the school before I left. Missing iut christmas at home though :(

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

*before i left originally to SK.

Gary A
14-11-16, 01:09
I am anxious about insomnia even though I have been sleeping like a baby for however long.

I'm sorry...but, what?

Shazamataz
14-11-16, 01:49
Worried about insomnia but sleeping like a baby? I'm confused!

ServerError
14-11-16, 02:13
Babies wake up in the night screaming. Perhaps that's it.

Fishmanpa
14-11-16, 02:21
Babies wake up in the night screaming. Perhaps that's it.

Maybe you need your diaper changed :whistles:

Positive thoughts

Scaredlady
14-11-16, 02:56
This may be insensitive but I'm wondering now if I worry about sleep, would it induce sleep? I am absolutely shattered and can't sleep at all thanks to my anxiety, so I quite envy you Helen.

That aside, I worry that my anxiety will "bring on" more serious mental health conditions because I fear that all of the over thinking, intrusive thoughts and stress etc could contribute to full on insanity but I'm not so sure that I'd worry about something positive.... You are able to sleep, enjoy it!

MyNameIsTerry
14-11-16, 05:28
This may be insensitive but I'm wondering now if I worry about sleep, would it induce sleep? I am absolutely shattered and can't sleep at all thanks to my anxiety, so I quite envy you Helen.

That aside, I worry that my anxiety will "bring on" more serious mental health conditions because I fear that all of the over thinking, intrusive thoughts and stress etc could contribute to full on insanity but I'm not so sure that I'd worry about something positive.... You are able to sleep, enjoy it!

I wouldn't have thought so. Insomnia is one that you only make worse by worrying about it as you give it importance. That's really only like anything else with anxiety.

Sure, you could wear yourself worrying so that you literally drop but inducing sleep through worrying about sleep otherwise would be something I've never heard before.

It's just anxiety searching for something to worry about to me. When you are having a better time, it will say "no, you should be worrying about something" and then your better time ends because back comes anxiety. I've been through that stage in mine and spoken to many people on here and in the groups I used to attend who had found the same.

Isn't that the essence of fight or flight? It's a bit like having running your antivirus 24/7.

kerryann
14-11-16, 09:14
why are you worrying about insomnia if you are sleeping well???

SLA
14-11-16, 10:29
Why do people worry about health issues when they don't have them!!?

If we all thought logically and rationally, this place wouldn't exist!

skymaid
14-11-16, 12:11
This might also sound insensitive/mean but i kinda envy you too Helenhoo. If I could work full time in a decent job and fly halfway round the world and back to go to a wedding and sleep like a baby and have a nice relationship too i'd be pretty damn happy.

I'm working on my intrusive thoughts (like you seem to have done very successfully) buy they ruin my life.

I don't really have any advice since you seem to be doing great anyway. Perhaps you could give me some advice on getting rid of my intstrusive thoughts about vomit and scenarios/things related to that. Although i guess that's hijacking your thread a bit. But whatever it's not like I post asking for help much anyway.

I hope that doesn't sound too bitter. You're honestly doing great, I'm a little jealous but happy for you too.

ServerError
14-11-16, 12:21
Have to say, I too would love Helenhoo's life, assuming I could replace the boyfriend with a girlfriend.

But mental health problems are no respecter of how "great" someone's life appears to be.

GadGirl
14-11-16, 12:30
I would love to worry about insomnia if I was sleeping like a baby, I haven't had 1 night of restful sleep or a night where i did not wake up every hour in over a year - BTW I have insomnia

helenhoo
14-11-16, 20:09
Thank you for you responses. For me my anxiety about one is typically replaxed with another. Im worried about the seemingly new freckle and that my arm fell alseep before i did last night and had tingles.

As suspected i didnt sleep brilliantly last night but am not saying i have insomnia and sorry for those that do. I have had bouts of it.
I was making example of how mu anxiety works. Nothing to worry about, remencise, worry again. I found whilst busy today i wasn't worried and didnt experience 'tingles' as i had worried.

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

Would my arm fallling asleep before i did causr concern? I was on my side and it was hanging over me?

KeeKee
14-11-16, 20:49
I don't want to get involved with the usual hoo ha that Helens threads always seem to entail. However I'm pretty sure if this was posted by a respected member of this forum it wouldn't be filled with 'wish I had that kind of life', 'wish I was able to work', 'wish I could get a nights sleep'. I don't mean to be mean to anybody, I love this site and its members, but for gods sake this is getting pathetic now. We all have our issues, some could be perceived as worse than others, but we are all still in the same boat to a certain degree.

nhelen79
14-11-16, 20:54
I think it's time for me to seek counseling and meditation. I'm starting to not believe doctors' words and wondering whatif they are wrong? like my latest episode of the leg lump. before the surgery, he marked the swollen area. he told me he took only 40% of the bump to be enough for biopsy, and to avoid me a long scar. The biopsy report come back with BLAND FIBROUS PROLIFERATION, and most suggestive of scar formation from the pathologist. I shall be super happy right? No, i'm sitting here, feeling a little bit of relief, but now wondering what if the surgeon didn't cut the right tissue pieces? why the report doesn't say something 100% but thing like "possibility of remote nodular fasciitis"?

anyway I need to put my energy to solve this mental issue and trust the doctors

ServerError
14-11-16, 20:57
I don't want to get involved with the usual hoo ha that Helens threads always seem to entail. However I'm pretty sure if this was posted by a respected member of this forum it wouldn't be filled with 'wish I had that kind of life', 'wish I was able to work', 'wish I could get a nights sleep'. I don't mean to be mean to anybody, I love this site and its members, but for gods sake this is getting pathetic now. We all have our issues, some could be perceived as worse than others, but we are all still in the same boat to a certain degree.

Can't speak for others, but I was only making conversation really. I really would love to do something like what she's doing right now. Hopefully I will get to. I guess wishing for something isn't gonna make it happen.

For what it's worth, the only advice Helenhoo needs is about tackling her anxiety disorder. Any response to her actual worries is counterproductive.

KeeKee
14-11-16, 21:01
Sorry ServerError it wasn't meant to be a dig at anybody. I just think it lind of sounds like a 'my life's worse than yours' type thing kicking off. That's not directed at you or any individual, just the way it reads.

helenhoo
14-11-16, 21:10
Please no bitching. And nhelen (did i read your username right?) well done for going to the doctors. Write down the words the doctor told you and stick them to your fridge. Read them each day.

Gary A
14-11-16, 21:16
Please no bitching. And nhelen (did i read your username right?) well done for going to the doctors. Write down the words the doctor told you and stick them to your fridge. Read them each day.

^ This.

Progress personified. The moment you start to move away from talking about yourself and aid in assisting others through their anxiety, you've officially started recovering. Well done you.

I do think it speaks volumes that you're home from SK and more rational already. Very interesting indeed.

helenhoo
14-11-16, 21:28
Thank you. I have been busy at the school and making mpst of evenings with my man. I've found im not worrying and when i am i am trying to use logic. The dead arm thing is weirding me out.

Gary A
14-11-16, 21:33
Thank you. I have been busy at the school and making mpst of evenings with my man. I've found im not worrying and when i am i am trying to use logic. The dead arm thing is weirding me out.

Think about it this way. How many different things have "weirded you out" over the last few months? I reckon there are dozens. How many turned out to be a symptom of anything at all, let alone anything remotely sinister.

Why would this be any different? It isnt, it's just your anxiety trying to reel you in. Don't let it.

helenhoo
14-11-16, 21:35
I know this, thank you. It's hard but I've been enjoying myself more.

Scaredlady
14-11-16, 21:48
I wasn't being mean towards Helenhoo, I was only saying I am a tad envious of her good sleeping pattern; It wasn't at the time of writing a "Oh your life is so easy" dig.

Although in saying the above, I have just realised that Helenhoo was living in the UK, moved abroad to work, travelled back to her homeland (to attend a social gathering) and to be perfectly honest in a non-bitchy way I am thinking "I wish I could do that - I can't even get on the local bus."

That's not being "pathetic", that's simply one person recognising that another can live in a way that they can't, it's acknowledging that mental illness affects people differently, it's accepting that there are varying degrees of severity etc, none of which in my opinion should be deemed as a point scoring exercise.

I try to be encouraging of others and I applaud Helenhoo for overcoming her anxiety, she has done very well.

helenhoo
14-11-16, 21:56
Scaredlady - i wasnt insulted :)

Anxiety does treat us differently. Some of us can't leave our house, and others can't attend work. I am lucky in the sens i can do these things. But some of you look at posts and think im beyond help. Ive always been a very honest person and i guess that helps.

KeeKee
14-11-16, 22:03
I understand what you're saying Scaredlady I never said anybody was purposefully trying to be mean. There are times in my own life when others are moaning about their jobs or their crap wage and in my own head I am also thinking around the lines of 'well I wish I could work for any amount of wage', but I wouldn't say that as it undermines their worry) in my opinion. Not saying anybody is purposefully trying to do that, but it certainly doesn't help.

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

I also agree with the above that I guess we are all 'lucky' to others in some ways. I have a long term partner and a child. A life some people could only dream of for various reasons, but I'm unbearably happy and if somebody said 'if I had your life I'd be happy' it would make me feel like I was ungrateful for the life I have, perhaps that I was undeserving.

Just my opinion.

Gary A
14-11-16, 22:10
I understand what you're saying Scaredlady I never said anybody was purposefully trying to be mean. There are times in my own life when others are moaning about their jobs or their crap wage and in my own head I am also thinking around the lines of 'well I wish I could work for any amount of wage', but I wouldn't say that as it undermines their worry) in my opinion. Not saying anybody is purposefully trying to do that, but it certainly doesn't help.

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

I also agree with the above that I guess we are all 'lucky' to others in some ways. I have a long term partner and a child. A life some people could only dream of for various reasons, but I'm unbearably happy and if somebody said 'if I had your life I'd be happy' it would make me feel like I was ungrateful for the life I have, perhaps that I was undeserving.

Just my opinion.

I took it as a "look at all the stuff you've got to be happy about" type of thing. Sometimes reminding someone that their life really isn't as bad as they think can do some good. I'm utterly astonished that the OP can do all of those things with the clearly high level of anxiety she suffers. I say that as a compliment to her.

The hell is wrong with me tonight? I'm being way too nice. :whistles:

KeeKee
14-11-16, 22:22
I took it as a "look at all the stuff you've got to be happy about" type of thing. Sometimes reminding someone that their life really isn't as bad as they think can do some good. I'm utterly astonished that the OP can do all of those things with the clearly high level of anxiety she suffers. I say that as a compliment to her.

The hell is wrong with me tonight? I'm being way too nice. :whistles:

I noticed you were too Gary hehe. Hope things are going ok for you lately.

As for the way you took it I guess it's possible we see things differently due to how we'd feel should those comments be directed at us. I have had severe depression for over a year now and comments such as 'but you have so much to be thankful for' (as an example) make me feel so little and ashamed of how I feel. They aren't helpful to me in the slightest in the way I wouldn't respond well to "A kick up the back side", whereas some people would.

Gary A
14-11-16, 22:35
I noticed you were too Gary hehe. Hope things are going ok for you lately.

As for the way you took it I guess it's possible we see things differently due to how we'd feel should those comments be directed at us. I have had severe depression for over a year now and comments such as 'but you have so much to be thankful for' (as an example) make me feel so little and ashamed of how I feel. They aren't helpful to me in the slightest in the way I wouldn't respond well to "A kick up the back side", whereas some people would.

Yeah, I hear you. It's just another variation of "snap out of it" or "get a hold of yourself". It's almost insinuating that you're choosing to be depressed or anxious. It's probably never intended to come across like that but I can easily see how it could be taken that way.