PDA

View Full Version : Deeply concerned about Pancreatic Cancer.

KaalynJohnson
14-11-16, 02:47
I'm 28 years old, which I know is generally young for that kind of concern, but the symptoms are mounting and I'm freaked out.

I started with vague abdominal pain, which I pushed through thinking it was something minor. I've also noticed vague flashing pains in my shoulder-blade, now mostly my upper-left. Then at work one day I had a weird bout of incontinence, where a small amount of leakage seeped and forced to me go home.

I went to my doctor and she sent me for bloodtests and an abdominal X-ray, where they found a kidney stone (maybe incidental to my symptoms). I was sent for more blood-tests and all that came up was a slightly elevated ALT Liver Enzyme (the normal is 7-56, I had a 75 - which my doctor assured me was minor). I have normal CBC, blood-sugar, etc.

Just to be safe, she sent me for an abdominal ultrasound. The Pancreas was, of course, obstructed but she informed me I have a fatty liver and that was the likely cause of the ALT elevation

However, at this point, I had noticed that my stool (which was at this point hard and/or pebble like) was much darker than usual. I had noticed in the past that it was "marbled" with small but visible chunks of what could have been fat, although the coloring was normal and the stool sunk to the bottom of the bowl. She was concerned about an ulcer or my stomach acid weakening the lining of my stomach, so she prescribed me Pantaprazole Magnesium, which I've been taking as prescribed for a week. She also sent for a Urea Breath Test, where I tested negative for bacteria.

Over the last few days, things feel like they've deteriorated immensely though. I generally feel exhausted and pained. I had pain in my left shoulder blade and was suddenly very itchy during one shift (three days ago, no real itchiness since then). My eyes are veiny and I'm constantly debating whether or not there's jaundice based on the lighting of my bathroom. If there is, it's mild and in the very corners of my eyes. The last two days I've been uncomfortable laying down for bed, with irritating but not crippling pain in my stomach and lower back. I've lost a lot of my appetite and have dropped from 239lbs to 235lbs in the space of 2 days. I can't stop weighing myself. My last couple stools have been paler than usual and have floated. I'm not able to go very much and when I do, it's usually soft pebbles.

I went to the doctor on friday and they ordered Pancreatic Enzyme tests when I offered my fears. I will do them tomorrow. However, I've read that a good chunk of people with Pancreas tumors do not have elevated enzymes and I'm wondering if I should just demand a CT or something. Would they even listen to me and order it?

I guess I have a referral in to a Gastroenterologist, although that may take several weeks and I'm too anxious and fixated on this to wait that long.

Aussie11
14-11-16, 10:11
I'm not going to be much of a help, but wanted to say you're not alone with these fears. I have exactly the same fear going on at the moment. It's been a repeated fear that comes back every few years. Mine always follows the same sort of path - burning feeling across my stomach which I initially think ulcer or gastritis, but then when antacids, prescription medication etc. doesn't work I then start feeling gnawing sort of pain in my left upper abdomen, with awful aching back and shoulder, and then turn my fears to pancreatic cancer. Then starts the looking for changes in stool colours etc and whether I'm jaundiced or not. I had blood tests done including pancreatic enzymes and liver function which were normal (and like you of course not satisfied with this based on info I've got off google!). Having gastroscopy and colonoscopy this Thursday, I already know that if that turns up no explanation for my pain I'm going to want an ultrasound. Last time I went through this same thing 2.5 years ago I had an ultrasound, as well as a CT scan. I'm worried to have another CT scan as I've had too many CT's and Xrays over the past 6 years since my health anxiety started up. Maybe I can just ask the gastroenterologist for his opinion, although it's difficult to get across to drs exactly what you want them to look for without coming out with it directly and then they seem to think you're mad!

I know that each time I've had this sort of fear the thing that has started it has been stress - initially just stress related to work or whatever, then the stomach issues start, and then I start stressing about what sinister thing I have got. Definitely think it's worth googling affects anxiety can have on digestive system, might help to divert the googling from other more sinister causes!

SLA
14-11-16, 10:31
Seems to be in fashion at the moment. ALS was so last season.

Stop reading about it.
Stop focussing on it.
Do something else.
Enjoy life.

KaalynJohnson
15-11-16, 07:30
Update for anyone who may care or is going through similar concerns:

Had blood-tests done for Pancreatic enzymes, but apparently I had a Lipase test in October as well and it was normal. Doctor checked me for jaundice and I was clean.

He said "your Pancreas is fine!" in that annoying way Doctors do when they want to reassure you. It's like, yeah, I have google. I know we haven't done the tests you need to know that for certain.

He did say that he was sure it was IBS+anxiety and gave me Dicetel and Ativan. My abdominal pain has diminished after taking the pill, but the back pain remains. Still don't have much of an appetite, but I'm hoping that comes back in the next few days.

Terrifying to drop 5 pounds in a weekend when you're already worried about cancer.

NoraB
15-11-16, 07:45
Terrifying to drop 5 pounds in a weekend when you're already worried about cancer.

Just shows you what the mind is capable of.

The reverse also applies but it's a lot harder to be positive than it is to imagine you have something life-threatening eh? It's work in progress for me.

Good to hear you got good news.

P.S 'Marbled poo' sounds like constipation where you have impacted bits of poo mixed in.

Aussie11
18-11-16, 09:39
Glad to hear the abdominal pain has gone since seeing the doc and getting the medication. Hope the back pain stops soon for you! I had my colonoscopy and gastroscopy yesterday and they foujnd nothing. I still have the back pain and upper left abdominal pain and nausea. Had chest xray and upper abdominal ultrasound and more bloods earlier this week also and they were also fine. Still not convinced my pancreas is fine but what else can you do!!

KaalynJohnson
18-11-16, 19:18
Update: Had more blood in the stool, this time fresher. Not much, but enough to send me back to my GP. Got an immediate referral and appointment with an internist, who saw me the same day.

He said not Pancreatic Cancer - It'd be super rare and I'd be losing weight by now. He said 0% chance it was Colorectal Cancer, I'm too young and in 15 years - I'd be the first one my age he's seen. "You would be a case study". Less than 1% I'd have Chrones, but he'll send me for another marker.

Felt nothing with the digit test. The lumps and bumps in my abdomen are fat. No issues elsewhere. The fact that Dicetel is working suggests IBS was correct guess. But to be safe, he's sending me for more bloodtests, a Small Bowel Follow Through and a UGI X-ray, as well as a stool test.

Feeling better after making this appointment. If you're worried: GO TELL A DOCTOR. It's the only reliable immediate help for health anxiety IMO.

paranoid-viking
19-11-16, 20:41
Seems to be in fashion at the moment. ALS was so last season.

Stop reading about it.
Stop focussing on it.
Do something else.
Enjoy life.

Fashion? I would rather say it is a scare created by the rubbish tabloid media(like your Daily Mail)and the "awareness crusraders" and the most aggresive campaign to scare people into believing they have pancreatic cancer is British based. I have seen their wbpage and I would not recommend ANYONE with health anxiety to look at it; I mean if someone never had health anxiety before they WILL after looking at the UK Pancreatic Cancer awareness website which is very close too; not close too; but IS scaremongering propaganda at its most extreme. Someone should look into the way they are prestenting themselves. Some of it is downright misleading IMO.