PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Have Any Good Self Distraction Techniques

Dothrehearse12
15-11-16, 16:39
I am going through a particularly difficult episode of Health Anxiety at the moment. I really need some distraction techniques to help me ignore the horrible thoughts I'm having.

I have been trying to stay away from 'Dr Google' but I slipped up yesterday and started searching health related articles online. I really need help. I'm terrified.

orthagonal
15-11-16, 16:51
When ever I start getting anxious I play virtual pinball on my tablet. I can't really focus well when I'm anxious so I can't read or do anything too complex, but pinball is right in that sweet spot where it distracts me but I can do it.

I know that's awful specific, but maybe there's some type of video game you like that would work.

SLA
15-11-16, 16:52
Tetris!

Worried Pete
15-11-16, 17:02
I know what it's like. You need constant reassurance. Dr Google isn't all bad as it can reassure as well as provide information. If I'd had Google in the early 90's I could have looked into the heart virus I suffered in early 92 and got the proper advice. Instead of that I went back to my young man exercise routine and had a much worse relapse a year later that lingered with me another 13 years, robbing me of my prime and giving me mental health issues. But I'm okay. Got to be strong. Things that helped me were self hypnosis and spiritual healing. Didn't take away the health anxiety but I felt better. 50ml Sertraline is however a must for me now.

Dothrehearse12
15-11-16, 17:30
Thanks for your advice. ��

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

I meant to send this. :)

Scaredlady
15-11-16, 18:05
I have two games on my tablet that I resort to as a means of distraction, a word game and a silly virtual farm game. I wouldn't normally play games but when you need to stop obsessively over thinking doing something else can be helpful sometimes.

I have also started keeping a journal and write in it as and when I feel it may help to distract me.

Mummytofour
15-11-16, 18:27
Hi, sorry to hear your having a rough time at the moment. I find getting into a good tv series helps when I am going through it bad. Last time it was game of thrones. Literally watched so many episodes in a couple of weeks (box sets on sky as it was already a few series in by then). This time found a series called the strain. Takes my mind of the racing thoughts as I just let myself get engrossed and ignore the real world for a bit ��

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Silly question marks. Was meant to be :)

Fishmanpa
15-11-16, 19:03
When I was a kid and was bored, my Dad used to say "Bend over and run into the wall" ~lol~ Hmmm... maybe that's what's wrong with me!

Positive thoughts

dale12345
15-11-16, 21:32
When I was a kid and was bored, my Dad used to say "Bend over and run into the wall" ~lol~ Hmmm... maybe that's what's wrong with me!

Positive thoughts

My mom used to say the same thing!

TuesdayBlue
18-06-17, 01:03
Hey there,
Have you tried exercise? You can search youtube for free online yoga classes.
Mental games only work for a few minutes, I find.