PDA

View Full Version : Breathing issues

AndyKimzor
15-11-16, 21:51
Evening,

I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with breathing (related to anxiety)? If so could you please describe your physical experiences, assuming it isn't uncomfortable for you to do so?

I feel at times that I CAN'T breath, not that I am choking but it's as if by breathing is that shallow that I'll almost stop.I assume this would cause the onset of the faintness/lack of sensation in my body? I'm taking it for granted that this is anxiety related, however I am sure it certainly is.

Can anyone help out?

SLA
15-11-16, 22:17
You'll never stop breathing through your own volition.

If you need any reassurance try holding your breath for as long as you possibly can.

Seriously, just no point ever worrying about breathing.

Its hard wired into your brain. No-one ever died because they forgot to breathe.

AndyKimzor
15-11-16, 22:25
You'll never stop breathing through your own volition.

If you need any reassurance try holding your breath for as long as you possibly can.

Seriously, just no point ever worrying about breathing.

Its hard wired into your brain. No-one ever died because they forgot to breathe.

I am not concerned about not breathing at all. I am looking to see what physical experiences other people have had to see if they match up with my own.

ana
16-11-16, 11:05
I don't usually experience breathing issues, but I do remember once having a sensation that made me feel like I was being choked to death. There was a lump in my throat, my heart was racing, and inhaling felt impossibly effortful.

DPW16
25-11-16, 09:40
I was diagnosed with GAD 8 years ago and have since been managing it rather well.

A thing I do struggle with though is the shortness of breath, which stems from my Anxiety issues.

It doesn't matter what I'm doing, where I am or how I'm feeling it can come on all of a sudden.

I find myself trying to get deep full breaths instead on breathing naturally and this tends to make things worse.

During this phase I feel nervous, slightly sick, agitated, on edge and have a general fear of hyperventilating in front of people (which has never happened).

Once I've returned to my 'normal state' (which can be anything from 30mins - 24 hours) I can be left feeling tired, anxious and stressed.

I think the best method of combating this is by ignoring it and keeping busy. For every time I just sit there dwelling on it things seems to get worse, where as if I get up get busy and keep my mind occupied it subsides a lot quicker.

I find alcohol / hangovers are a big switch on and also big events such as my wedding last June / things coming up in which I'm nervous about.

Just remember to keep calm, keep busy and don't ever let it stop you from doing what you had planned to do that day. For if you do it will consume you and will progressively get worse.

xBettyBoopx
29-11-16, 19:11
Heart and breathing are my main issues so I can relate!

I seem to have a couple of different types of not being able to breathe properly. One is where I have what they call 'air hunger' and have to keep sighing to get the air in, this can last for hours and btw Dr Claire Weekes talks about this in her books. Another is where I seem to be breathing ok but appear to not be getting enough air, what I do then is make myself breathe quickly to get the air in and this seems to do the trick:winks:

Try 'pursed lip' breathing. Breathe in thru your nose and out thru pursed lips slowly. All kinds of breathing issues can be put right with this type of breathing because when you get anxious or tense or both you tend to hold onto air so when you go to breathe in next time, you can't get as much air in, that's because there's already air in there. Pursed lip breathing helps you to get all the air out slowly and hopefully eliminate the breathing issue.

xBettyx