PDA

View Full Version : Considering going on Celexa (First SSRI)

Nina102
16-11-16, 19:43
This will be my first SSRI. I've always been against getting medicated because I usually get better overtime anyways.

However, when I suffered from major anxiety over two years ago I never completely got back to my old, happy self. I did get better and things did get back to normal, but I lost that happy, hopeful, eager young girl I once was. I didn't feel depressed, sad, or had anymore panic attacks but I stopped being truly happy as well.

Exercise and healthy eating did help A LOT but it still didn't bring back the old me.

The reason why I'm considering getting medicated this time is because last month my anxiety came back. This time I feel as if every time I fall asleep, I forget to breath. This can happen all throughout the night preventing me from getting any sleep. I know I'm not going to actually stop breathing, so I'm not afraid of that. I know I will eventually get some sleep, so I'm not afraid of that. I don't have to wake up early anyways, so I'm not afraid of that. What I'm afraid of is that I'll never be able to enjoy going to bed anymore. I'm not sure if anxiety caused this, or if it's the other way around. I did get a sleep study done but it will take a few weeks to get the results. I do know anxiety is making this worse though, because I take Lorazepam and I can usually get to sleep pretty quick and get a good night's rest. However if I don't take it, dread sets in fearing I won't be able to sleep without it. So it has become this horrible cycle.

I got a doctor's appointment on Friday, and I think I'm going to ask for 10mg of Celexa since I've heard from two friends now that it has done wonders for them.

I know medication isn't the solution and I need to tackle these problems face on, but the thing is there's really no problems to face. There's nothing stressful going on in my life right now, nothing sad, or nothing upsetting. Everything is perfect. I have a amazing supportive parents, a very loving boyfriend, and Christmas is just around the corner.

That's another thing, I probably can get through this on my own after awhile but I'm afraid it is going to ruin my Holidays like it did two years ago, and I'm also afraid that if I start taking Celexa that the side effects will also ruin my holidays. So I'm unsure of what to do.

I have no appetite, no motivation, can't sleep, no sex drive, no energy, and feel like a zombie, so really what's the worst this medication can do?

Mummytofour
17-11-16, 17:16
Hi Nina,

It's a tough one to answer as only you can make that decision as to whether you want to go down that road or not in the end but I can tell you that I never thought I would need this kind of medication but I do and now I really couldn't care less because it does it's job and I want to make the most out of my life not living with horrible anxiety. I was on citalopram for 3 years and tapered off as I was 'better' for a long while but that only lasted 6 months and now I am currently heading into week 5 now again. I didn't hesitate in the slightest to start retaking them as the state I was in I couldn't of functioned day to day with overwhelming fear inside. I am now about 50% back to myself. Still a bit more to go but getting there. The side effects to begin with are very tough but only last a couple of weeks at there worst before they start to dull down and it is so worth it in the end in my opinion. Everyone reacts different and has different experiences. Really you need to think about whether you can overcome it alone or if you need a little help. Doesn't even need to be medication, you could ask your doctor for therapy. Maybe they can find a trigger where you can't.

Maxine

pollynewsome
17-11-16, 19:11
Hi, I can relate to the sleep thing and the breathing. i get to sleep fine but wake up coughing and spluttering. its like i have stopped breathing but something wakes me up to start breathing.. i didnt know what it was but i guess it could be the anxiety.. I was also reluctant to take meds but took the plunge and so glad i did, Not 100% but better than i was, x

Nina102
21-11-16, 19:34
Thanks for the responses!

I'm on my 4th day on citalopram. So far no big differences. Perhaps a slight increase in my anxiety but that's about it.

I'm really hoping this helps with my sleep.

Dec
22-11-16, 16:09
Thanks for the responses!

I'm on my 4th day on citalopram. So far no big differences. Perhaps a slight increase in my anxiety but that's about it.

I'm really hoping this helps with my sleep.

It took me 1 - 2 weeks before I noticed much of a change, but I started on 20mg at the time.

Citalopram is pretty effective at managing Anxiety, although I had quite a few side-effects. Not so much at the start, but over the 3 years I was taking them I gradually noticed problems.

Tiredness was a big one, I found it hard to do more than leave my room most days. Also I often felt spaced out and had difficulty concentrating.

If you intend to stay on it long term just be wary of the withdrawal if you ever decide to come off of it. Like with any medication the slower the better, but Citalopram in particular seems quite nasty for some people if they miss doses too often.

Good luck!

Nina102
22-11-16, 16:55
It took me 1 - 2 weeks before I noticed much of a change, but I started on 20mg at the time.

Citalopram is pretty effective at managing Anxiety, although I had quite a few side-effects. Not so much at the start, but over the 3 years I was taking them I gradually noticed problems.

Tiredness was a big one, I found it hard to do more than leave my room most days. Also I often felt spaced out and had difficulty concentrating.

If you intend to stay on it long term just be wary of the withdrawal if you ever decide to come off of it. Like with any medication the slower the better, but Citalopram in particular seems quite nasty for some people if they miss doses too often.

Good luck!

I felt like that before I started, so I wasn't sure what else to do.

I think at the moment it's making my anxiety a lot worse, but I have to stick with it. I can't get a restful sleep anymore, so I'm hoping when these pills kick in, I'll be able to get back to sleeping normally.

I'm just so sick of being so, so tired and can't sleep. I'm on Lorazepam as well to help with sleep, but I've been on them for 2 weeks now and I'm so worried about getting dependent on them. I'm only on 1MG, but last night I tried to take only half and it did nothing.