PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else's health anxiety worse in the winter?

half-empty
16-11-16, 20:25
My health anxiety seems to rear it's ugly head during autumn peak round winter and seem to be at its lowest during the spring/summer. I am seriously believing that I'm suffering with s.a.d. just wondered if anyone else has a pattern like me?

EKB
16-11-16, 21:01
My big bout of HA a couple years back started in October. This current one also started in October. I really don't think it's a coincidence. And I know my mood gets low at the best of times once the day gets shorter. You're definitely not alone in this.

half-empty
16-11-16, 21:56
I read that a lack in vitamin d can cause anxiety to worsen, and vitamin d comes from sunlight which we obviously lack in the winter months. I really believe this is what it is for me. I have had health anxiety for 4 years but the last 3 winters seem to have been the worst with me ending up at the doctors more times than I care to admit. I just wondered how many other people out there suffer worst through the winter like me.

fruitandnutlover
17-11-16, 10:19
I always get worse in the winter. My depression, anxiety, ibs and lots of other symptoms are worse on a daily basis. I have been wondering recently if I have a a lack of vitamin D? I really do hate winter and am hating it a little bit more every year :(

EKB
17-11-16, 11:58
The research on vitamin D and sad/depression/anxiety isn't conclusive. But it has been proven to support musculoskeletal health. That said, "isn't conclusive" doesn't mean it has no effect on anxiety - it just means studies haven't teased out an effect if there is one. Couple years ago when I was tested for vitamin D deficiency (and mine was very low - like rickets territory low) my doc at the time said vitamin D is so intwined in so many bodily functions that it could very well affect anxiety.

Thing is, vitamin D is a very low risk thing to try taking, so it makes sense to try it. I'm back taking around 800 IU/day and make sure I eat foods enriched in vitamin D since this most recent bout came on. I think it helps me, and at the very least I won't get rickets!

---------- Post added at 11:58 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

But I should also say it's not a magic bullet. I also have to up my self care regime in the winter.

Dave_Lister
17-11-16, 15:49
Yes!

I had a bad bought of it last year around the same time. Mine was an HIV scare, and now this years is an MS scare.:mad: