PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints

KeeKee
17-11-16, 09:35
I didn't know where to post this as I'm not anxious about it. I am, however fed up of getting what I think are shin Splints. It started a couple of months ago, it's mainly when I walk uphill or walk fast. I know this can happen when you are doing something you aren't used to but I've been doing the school run for 5 years now and never had it happen before, it's absolutely killing my shins now every single day. Today it was the worst it's ever been as it lasted until I got home even when I was walking on even ground and really slowly. I don't understand why I'd all of a sudden start getting these.

SLA
17-11-16, 10:31
How to Get Rid of Shin Splints

If you have shin splints, a number of exercises or activities can help:

Decrease activity or make sure that you gradually increase your activity. For example, when running, you should never add more than about 10% volume each week.

Run or exercise on softer surfaces. For example, if you run on concrete, which is one of the hardest surfaces you could possibly run on, switch to pavement, or better yet, the gravel or dirt on the side of the road, off-road running trails, or grass.

Choose your footwear wisely. Rather than buying your shoes at a sporting goods store or online, go to a store that specializes in selling running shoes and have them watch you stand, walk and run, and then make shoe recommendations based on your unique body mechanics.

Change worn-out shoes. Running shoes should be replaced every 300-500 miles, or every 3-6 months--whichever comes first. If you frequently run on hard surfaces, you’ll need to change your running shoes more frequently.

Train your core. A strong core will allow you to place less stress on your lower limbs with each step. Check out “What Is Your Core,” “How to Get A Flat Stomach,” and “How to Make Your Abs Stronger.”

Stretch your calves. Each day, preferably before you run, do a wall calf stretch, in which you place both hands on the wall and lean into it with one leg outstretched behind you, and a down dog, in which you get into a push-up position, then lift your butt towards the ceiling until you feel a stretch in the back of your legs. You can also do foam rolling exercises for your calf. Stretching the calves is good for both preventing and recovering from shin splints.

Strengthen the front of your legs. One of the best ways to strengthen the front leg muscles is with toe lifts, in which you stand in place and lift the front of your foot off of the floor while keeping your heels on the floor. Try to hold this position for 10 seconds and then slowly lower the front of your foot back to the floor. Try to get 30 of these done, 3 times a day. Once you get to the point where that is easy, you can begin heel walks, in which you walk on your heels with your toes pointed straight ahead, for 3-5 minutes per day.

:flowers:

KeeKee
17-11-16, 11:53
Thank you for all that advice SLA. I'll try those exercises

I did suspect it could've been due to the fact I always wear cheap footwear, my feet are always covered in blisters due to them, but unfortunately that's one factor I don't have any control over as I'm struggling financially. I do have some proper trainers but they're more fashionable as opposed to comfortable. Hopefully it isn't due to that and the exercises will help.

Decreasing my activity is also impossible as there's only one route to the school and it's up a hefty bank. Hopefully those exercise will work as it absolutely kills

SLA
17-11-16, 12:03
I got a tight IT band last year from walking/running in bad shoes.

The stretches I found relieved it within a week or so.

KeeKee
17-11-16, 12:10
I got a tight IT band last year from walking/running in bad shoes.

The stretches I found relieved it within a week or so.

That's good to hear. Will it work even more if I continue wearing bad shoes do you think?

MyNameIsTerry
17-11-16, 12:41
KeeKee, I had it too when I started walking again. It lasted for quite a while but it's been gone for years now...and on a good note, I have calf muscles like steel! :yesyes:

KeeKee
17-11-16, 12:52
KeeKee, I had it too when I started walking again. It lasted for quite a while but it's been gone for years now...and on a good note, I have calf muscles like steel! :yesyes:

Haha, I wouldn't mind steel like calf muscles!

I just find it strange why I've started getting them seemingly out of the blue. As I say the school run isn't new to me and I've only been walking more than usual this past fortnight yet I've been getting these shin splints for around 3 months now. I also get shin pain when I kneel, I never used to before. Maybe I'm just getting old hehe.

MyNameIsTerry
17-11-16, 13:02
That's what I thought, getting old (I mean me :biggrin:), because I had walked for years and no problems. I also started having ankle & knee pain. These went after months.

I ended up putting it down to anxiety and the impact it has on the body. The knee pain was more due to compensation in walking to ease the ankle pain. I was at quite a bad stage in my anxiety back then and just getting back into routines and the walking was tough back then.

The stretches SLA posted will hopefully help. Shin splits plague runners and given it mentions about impact from concrete, I bet he's taken that off a runners site so if they can get rid of it, we must be able to as they are high impact.

Maybe some more supportive footwear is needed? Or some orthotics? It can help knowing how you walk first. I went in Sports Direct because they have a pressure pad in the running/football boots section and it tells you what type of walker/runner you are. I'm a heel striker because I put more pressure on there and connect the heel first.

Transdermal magnesium might help, it has with my aching knees that have come later. And my back. It might be worth a look into that. Or magnesium bathing which some do for muscular pain, it's just like Epsom salts (which is a form of magnesium) but more absorbent in magnesium chloride form.

KeeKee
17-11-16, 13:20
Thank you for all that info Terry. I might get some cheap gel inserts or something but I can't afford any more footwear. I've just bought myself some boots this week and it'll be a while before I can get some more and even when I can it'll be a budget of around £20.

Yes I'll try some stretches. If I remember correctly stretches can help lengthen your muscles and although I'm not new to walking at all, I have been pretty much sedentary this year as I have self esteem issues and going out during the summer is virtually impossible so maybe it's an accumulative effect and that's why it appears to have popped up all of a sudden. I'll have probably stopped walking around April/May and noticed this pain around August (I did a 10 mile walk back in June and definitely didn't get any pain back then) so I guess 3/4 months of relative inactivity could cause this.

It could also be the way I'm walking like you've mentioned. I have been getting lower back pain and other various pains around my hips and GP told me it'll be joint or something so guess this could be related.

If it's the shoes though I'll be so angry as that's the only thing I don't really have any control over.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

I'll have a look at that magnesium thing too thanks. My pain does stop the minute I stop walking, so not sure if it'd still be a help but worth a try.

mezzaninedoor
17-11-16, 16:23
Thanks everyone, I thought this was down to the increased weight that I now carry as I have had shin splints when doing fast walking recently as exercise.

Lots of good advice Terry & SLA, thanks

Thanks for the topic Keekee

MyNameIsTerry
18-11-16, 05:54
Haha, I wouldn't mind steel like calf muscles!

I just wish the rest of my body would catch up with them!

---------- Post added at 05:49 ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 ----------

Thank you for all that info Terry. I might get some cheap gel inserts or something but I can't afford any more footwear. I've just bought myself some boots this week and it'll be a while before I can get some more and even when I can it'll be a budget of around £20.

Yes I'll try some stretches. If I remember correctly stretches can help lengthen your muscles and although I'm not new to walking at all, I have been pretty much sedentary this year as I have self esteem issues and going out during the summer is virtually impossible so maybe it's an accumulative effect and that's why it appears to have popped up all of a sudden. I'll have probably stopped walking around April/May and noticed this pain around August (I did a 10 mile walk back in June and definitely didn't get any pain back then) so I guess 3/4 months of relative inactivity could cause this.

It could also be the way I'm walking like you've mentioned. I have been getting lower back pain and other various pains around my hips and GP told me it'll be joint or something so guess this could be related.

If it's the shoes though I'll be so angry as that's the only thing I don't really have any control over.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

I'll have a look at that magnesium thing too thanks. My pain does stop the minute I stop walking, so not sure if it'd still be a help but worth a try.

Yes, it will lengthen them but also make them more flexible and cause more blood to flow.

Some gentle exercising of the lower leg might help too. Perhaps some calf raises? This can be combined with stretching by standing on a box or a step and dipping below it and then raising upwards to do the calf raise part.

New shows can certainly cause problems at first. Whenever I get new walking boots I will often have a few weeks of some extra aching. I guess the muscles get used to the changes in walk based on how the grips wear down and so new ones are a little harder than expected?

You might not need a full foot orthotic. Gel inserts are a possibility if it's more one part of the foot. Sometimes I've found just adding some basic cushioning inside a show can help anyway but I don't have prominent arches, I'm pretty flat-footed, so less padding can make my soles ache. I rarely have that with walking boots though as they are well cushioned.

---------- Post added at 05:54 ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 ----------

Thanks everyone, I thought this was down to the increased weight that I now carry as I have had shin splints when doing fast walking recently as exercise.

Lots of good advice Terry & SLA, thanks

Thanks for the topic Keekee

Extra weight is bound to add to the issue, Tony. It depends how much but the more overweight, the more the stress on any of the joints anyway.

The faster you walk or the more uphill, you can expect a faster build up of lactic acid that will make your muscles weak & feel a bit sore. It could mean you need to do some walking up & down? Perhaps the stretches SLA posted too? It could be that how you are walking is more like cardio, if you get what I mean? Any exercise beyond normality can cause muscle aches as it takes the body a few weeks to adjust to the extra load, a basic principle of bodybuilding and why they keep pushing the weights up to tear the muscles to rebuild. Cardio can easily do the same, especially with any added resistance like extra weight, speed or uphill or uneven movement.

KeeKee
18-11-16, 09:36
I just wish the rest of my body would catch up with them!

---------- Post added at 05:49 ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 ----------

Yes, it will lengthen them but also make them more flexible and cause more blood to flow.

Some gentle exercising of the lower leg might help too. Perhaps some calf raises? This can be combined with stretching by standing on a box or a step and dipping below it and then raising upwards to do the calf raise part.

New shows can certainly cause problems at first. Whenever I get new walking boots I will often have a few weeks of some extra aching. I guess the muscles get used to the changes in walk based on how the grips wear down and so new ones are a little harder than expected?

You might not need a full foot orthotic. Gel inserts are a possibility if it's more one part of the foot. Sometimes I've found just adding some basic cushioning inside a show can help anyway but I don't have prominent arches, I'm pretty flat-footed, so less padding can make my soles ache. I rarely have that with walking boots though as they are well cushioned.

Yeah calf raises would be a good idea. I've been meaning to do them anyway as I have (in my opinion, those around me say otherwise) quite chunky calves and if they had a bit more definition they wouldn't look as bad. I also notice I'm getting a lot of what feels like slightly pulled muscles in my calves most days even though I'm just walking regular pace and not uphill or anything.

Yeah I guess new boots can definitely make the problem worse. Yesterday and today was the most pain I've had in my shins and that's when I started wearing my new boots. Today coming home from the school the pain was unreal and felt like my legs were about to give way. I had to walk really slowly. Hopefully it'll ease off. It's making the already dreaded school run task even harder.

I'll look into some inserts. Thanks again.

mezzaninedoor
18-11-16, 12:14
[/QUOTE]

Extra weight is bound to add to the issue, Tony. It depends how much but the more overweight, the more the stress on any of the joints anyway.

The faster you walk or the more uphill, you can expect a faster build up of lactic acid that will make your muscles weak & feel a bit sore. It could mean you need to do some walking up & down? Perhaps the stretches SLA posted too? It could be that how you are walking is more like cardio, if you get what I mean? Any exercise beyond normality can cause muscle aches as it takes the body a few weeks to adjust to the extra load, a basic principle of bodybuilding and why they keep pushing the weights up to tear the muscles to rebuild. Cardio can easily do the same, especially with any added resistance like extra weight, speed or uphill or uneven movement.[/QUOTE]

I have an extra 12.5 kg due to Quetiapine and not managing to rein myself in
I did find at the Gym last night that on a Running machine the shin splints were less pronounced
I did a basic programme which had ups and downs for 20 minutes
But generally my walking is on tarmac paths so I also think I ought to look at my footwear as maybe a softer sole will help as well

I like to walk at pace everywhere to up the value of the walks

KatiePink
18-11-16, 12:25
I have this issue!!

I walk home for my lunch at work and i live about 10 minutes stroll away. I however walk as if i am in the Olympics because i want to get home as soon as possible haha!
The pain builds slowly but is excruciating by the time i get home it is real agony. My shins are then sore to touch and even later that night if i lean on them they are both so sore, it feels like the shin bone is going to snap.

I am guessing for me it is solely the fact that i am walking ridiculously fast.. but i wan't that extra few minutes at home so i just go through the pain :doh: it probably doesn't help that i go from being sat at my desk to 100mph in a few minutes.

KeeKee
18-11-16, 13:31
KatiePink that's me on the school run. It's also uphill too. I usually leave as late as possible so I don't have to pass as many people.

Everywhere else I usually just walk at leisure pace. I'm definitely thinking of getting some inserts.

Mezzaninedoor I gained weight from meds, it's what made me quit. I was 'lucky' and only gained 30lbs and was skinny to begin with so even at my heaviest I only just got to borderline overweight (BMI 24.7 I think). I've lost half that weight now but seems I'm pretty stuck at the weight I am now.

MyNameIsTerry
19-11-16, 09:02
I have an extra 12.5 kg due to Quetiapine and not managing to rein myself in
I did find at the Gym last night that on a Running machine the shin splints were less pronounced
I did a basic programme which had ups and downs for 20 minutes
But generally my walking is on tarmac paths so I also think I ought to look at my footwear as maybe a softer sole will help as well

I like to walk at pace everywhere to up the value of the walks

Yes, it sounds like an impact issue. Padding up your shoes, maybe orthotics, and you should find it easier.

When walking faster do you find yourself trudging? Being a heal striker I tend to do this so it's a bit like stamping all the time. If so, maybe slowing it down until your shins are better may help?

Strengthening your calves in the gym will help too.

---------- Post added at 09:02 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

I have this issue!!

I walk home for my lunch at work and i live about 10 minutes stroll away. I however walk as if i am in the Olympics because i want to get home as soon as possible haha!
The pain builds slowly but is excruciating by the time i get home it is real agony. My shins are then sore to touch and even later that night if i lean on them they are both so sore, it feels like the shin bone is going to snap.

I am guessing for me it is solely the fact that i am walking ridiculously fast.. but i wan't that extra few minutes at home so i just go through the pain :doh: it probably doesn't help that i go from being sat at my desk to 100mph in a few minutes.

If it's only when you exercise like that, maybe it's just the natural build up of lactic acid? If you were into lifting weights you would find it's exactly what happens once you reach a certain number of reps...lifting a bag of sugar at "muscle exhaustion" can be hard and make your arms shake. It's basically because the energy to the muscles is gone and the lactic acid is there. It may be the same if you are not used to hard walking?

mezzaninedoor
19-11-16, 09:57
Thanks folks

flipp
19-11-16, 12:18
That's it,no more walking or exercise for me..lol.once I get back to Brisvegas I'm gunna let others do the walking,these new thongs I bought from Target are not doing their job my shins,hips and bloody feet give me grief,good luck with the exercise I'm off to have a rest.:D.

pulisa
19-11-16, 12:21
Good for you, flipp! You get your feet up and let others run around for you!xx

MyNameIsTerry
20-11-16, 04:47
That's it,no more walking or exercise for me..lol.once I get back to Brisvegas I'm gunna let others do the walking,these new thongs I bought from Target are not doing their job my shins,hips and bloody feet give me grief,good luck with the exercise I'm off to have a rest.:D.

I didn't know they were supposed to help your feet too, I just thought they disappeared up your bum crack...http://www.bestemoticon.com/smiley/sexe/sexes455.gif:D

flipp
20-11-16, 10:08
Where did you get that pic of my arse?Terry.:D.It was supposed to be of my shin splints.:blush:.

MyNameIsTerry
20-11-16, 10:32
Where did you get that pic of my arse?Terry.:D.It was supposed to be of my shin splints.:blush:.

Shh...Phill sent it to me. :winks:

flipp
20-11-16, 10:51
Just hope he doesn't send the naughty ones, I might have too confiscate his drone....:winks:.