PDA

View Full Version : Film on urine. Scared

heyitsmeyou
17-11-16, 10:16
Hello. I posted a couple days ago about reddening of the skin and fears over kidney disease. Today I've noticed that after I urinate, there is a fine film on top of the urine in the toilet bowl. This seems to happen more noticeably when dehydrated but still occurs when ive had plenty of water. I've used multiple toilets, flushing before I go, and dont see the film when the toilet hasn't been used. I dont appear to have any infection that I know of, or at least no other symptoms. Have a Dr app. on Tuesday. Really worried :(

SLA
17-11-16, 10:48
Possible Causes of Oily Urine

The urine mainly comprises of waste products and excess water from the body. The waste products and excess water are filtered from the blood by the kidneys. Additionally, urine contains a certain amount of urochrome, a pigment in blood. It is this pigment that gives urine its yellow color. However, the color of urine is also determined by the level of hydration of the body and ranges from light yellow to dark yellow or tinted orange. Mentioned are some of the possible causes of traces of oil in urine.

1. Dehydration

If your urine is golden yellow in color, it may be a sign that the body is dehydrated. Dehydration can be as a result of vigorous activity, such as exercise. Additionally, dehydration in the body may also be caused by excessive sweating due to high temperature or sickness. Once you notice that your urine is dark yellow in color, you should increase water intake. If drinking more water does not solve the issue or you show other symptoms, you should seek medical attention.

2. Excessive Vitamins

Oily urine may be an indicator of excess vitamins in the body. Additionally, it may be a sign that the vitamins are not being absorbed into the body. In such a case, you should change your diet to include whole food supplements that are easy for the body to absorb.

3. Chyle

Basically, it is normal to have a small amount of oil-like substance in the urine. This is particularly the case when the urine is allowed to sit in the bladder for a long period. However, if the amount of this substance is too much or is accompanied by a milky appearance of the urine, it is advised that you seek medical attention. In this case, the oily substance is chyle, which comprises of proteins and fats.

4. Ketones in Urine

Ketones appear in the urine when the body is in a state referred to as ketosis. This can happen when you are on a stringent dietary regimen, are starving or you have uncontrolled diabetes. Though this condition is thought to be dangerous, but it depends. Under normal conditions, the body breaks down carbohydrates to produce energy. When the carbohydrate reserves in the body are over, the body will break down fats. It is this metabolism of fats that leads to ketones in the urine.

:flowers:

heyitsmeyou
17-11-16, 14:35
Thanks SLA. Though it doesn't seem to appear oily to me. More of a very fine, gritty texture?

Fishmanpa
17-11-16, 15:01
I don't promote doctor visits for reassurance but if you're that concerned a simple urinalysis will determine if there's an issue.

That being said, I don't believe this is anything of concern as the anxious mind creates issues where none exist. The sheer number of bodily excrement threads on the forum is evidence of this.

Positive thoughts

heyitsmeyou
17-11-16, 21:48
Thanks Fishmanpa. I had a routine urinalysis a few weeks ago and the Dr. never mentioned anything. I have another appointment next week to discuss the results in more detail.

SLA
18-11-16, 08:44
Thanks SLA. Though it doesn't seem to appear oily to me. More of a very fine, gritty texture?

A film will be caused by oil.

hanshan
18-11-16, 09:45
If you had a routine urinalysis a few weeks ago with nothing unusual turning up, it's highly unlikely that anything needing treatment would show up in the meantime, with the possible exception of a urinary tract infection. But you'd know it - they're generally quite painful (but easily treated).

What you describe is almost certainly just an ordinary variation in urine appearance. If you already have an appointment to see the doctor, try not to worry about it before then.

(Another thing changing the surface texture of urine for males is seminal fluid getting mixed up in it.)

heyitsmeyou
19-11-16, 06:06
Thank you Hanshan. That's what I was thinking. Or well, at least logically hoping haha. All I can do is wait patiently until Tuesday.

heyitsmeyou
24-11-16, 06:41
So a little update. Had my appointment with my Dr. on Tuesday and all seems good. Kidney functions are alll good and she wasn't worried. How ever we are both confused as to what it is. I even showed an image I had taken before hand. :shrug: But I will trust the results and the Dr.

Champagnebox
08-07-22, 19:29
I’m having the same thing, noticed it a few years ago but my HA is pretty bad as I’ve been diagnosed with thyroid cancer lately ☹️ When I was in hospital the nurses had to measure my wee every time I went to the toilet and no one mentioned it? It’s only when I look really close.