PDA

View Full Version : Chronic Pancreatitis?

Moondreams
17-11-16, 15:24
Another day, another worry.

So, backstory. I suffer with bad acne and have ever since I was 13 (I'm now 29). When I was around 14, I went on the contraceptive pill (Dianette) and stayed on it for 10 years because it seemed to be the one thing that actually worked. I came off it three years ago to see how it was without it and naturally the acne came back.

It reached the point that I decided to go back on it because the acne just makes me miserable. But I remembered that in the last year or so of taking it, I was getting dull aches on my left side by my ribs and sometimes a sharp pain along with mucus-y stools. After just a few days of going back on the pill, I ended up throwing up one night (although I recognise that I did have a headache verging on a migraine and had gotten very little sleep trying to keep up on election news!) to the point where I was just throwing up water because my stomach was empty.

And over the next few days, my stomach felt sensitive and the dull ache came back along with the occasional stabbing pain in the ribs that made it feel like they were going to break. I know that accutane (which is another form of the pill for acne) has been connected to pancreatitis and I'm immediately worrying that that's what this is. Could being on it for so long have caused damage? If so, would I have still had trouble while I was off it? Because for the most part, I don't think I've suffered with it the last few years. I've already stopped taking the pill for nearly a week now but the dullness is still lingering.

Does it sound pancreatic or could it just be more intestinal?

Any reassurances would be appreciated as I know the worrying is only going to make things worse.