PDA

View Full Version : I have caught a nasty cough bug

countrygirl
17-11-16, 16:33
My husband had it first and was quite ill for over a week with bad cold and very sore throat and cough, he is very stoical so for him to sit around watching tv for a week means he was ill.
He then "kindly" passed it on to me. Started in head and nose then I thought I had shrugged it off then 4 days ago I got the worse sore throat ever and cough. I now have a very croaky voice and its painful in throat and upper chest to cough. My sinuses are bunged as well.

I always get really bad coughs and throats with any cold virus and in the past I usually rush off to Drs after a week to check I do not have a chest infection, because as soon as I start to feel the sore chest I panic.

Mostly they say my lungs are clear and the problem is all in throat/trachea and it gets better itself but sometimes I am given antibiotics in case which means I never really know if I needed them or not.

Its coming up to a weekend and I know that if I still feel like this I will panic but my husband is saying I do not have a chest infection ( he has had quite a few so knows what they are like, he has even had pneumonia) so I would feel bad about gong to the GP tomorrow if I don't really need to.

Any words of wisdom please?

miggymoggy
21-11-16, 16:35
Hiya I have EXACTLY the same! I started last Wednesday with an awful cough. Coughing so much I was heaving throwing up. Went to GP on Wednesday, she listened to my chest and said all in trachea not in lungs and said viral. By Friday it was worse and I was coughing up brown phlegm so GP consult over phone issued antibiotics. Amoxicyllin.

Ill all over weekend. In bed most of it. Feeling totally and utterly wiped out. Coughing for England and coughing up rubbish. Headache and aching limbs. By Sunday I felt like I couldn't take a full breath, and rang 111 who said I had to go to A and E.
Went to A and E. They said chest completely clear, all in upper respiratory area. They suggested I may have flu but also said loads and loads of really bad cough viruses around this year, which can wipe you out for 2 weeks! They said I have a temperature and just need to rest.
This morning I haven't been well enough to go to work again and I have literally slept all morning. No appetite for days.
This is one nasty virus!