PDA

View Full Version : 6 month update

Andy1718
17-11-16, 22:36
Thought I would update you guys as it's been awhile. 6 months since my anxiety was triggered by stress at work as a teacher. I am still on 20mg cit daily. Back at work and it's still stressful but I have not missed a meeting even though I feel uneasy in them. Teaching a huge workload and not sure I can sustain it. Anxiety is ok and settled. Wife says I am generally happier. Still have mornings full of stress and anxiety but I am managing it.
This forum is priceless.

lior
17-11-16, 23:22
Well done Andy!!

Do you have support at work? If they're overburdening you, that's not great management. I know a lot of the time it's issues from above that make those situations, though. So much politics in education!

Andy1718
18-11-16, 06:56
It's ok but not great. I am very much overworked in a struggling school. I was supposed to be on a phased return but that wasn't great. Just taking day by day but it's very tough. Thinking of leaving teaching altogether if I can find another career.

lior
18-11-16, 08:14
I'm sorry to hear that. If your boss knew you felt that way, do you think anything would change?

pollynewsome
18-11-16, 16:36
I'm struggling at mo. Had a few cracking weeks though. Well done Andy.. you are doing so well and come such along way. Xx

Andy1718
18-11-16, 20:43
Thanks guys. He knows that and says his hands are tied. It's a case of man up or get out sadly.

lior
19-11-16, 11:48
Man up? That's a damaging phrase if I ever heard one. Like, you're *not a man* if you've got more work on than is possible to do without getting really unhappy and anxious? You're still going to be a man, a human being, whether you are anxious or not, and whether you are happy in your job or not. It's ridiculous that people put pressure on men to behave a certain way, which stops them from being able to express anxiety/being overloaded with work, without feeling like they are not worthy of having their own balls. This is an issue which affects most men without them even realising.

F**k that. Your boss is being unsupportive. Can you go to anyone else? He doesn't really understand, or maybe he doesn't have the insight into his own problems enough to have empathy with you.

23fish
19-11-16, 18:56
Your head is wrong! He has a duty of care to all staff. Have you sought advice from the union?

Andy1718
27-11-16, 22:06
Yes my union have been informed that he didn't follow procedures. My head teacher is an ex PE teacher so he is quite brash and harsh at times. Many people especially male colleagues just don't get it.
I am hoping to move schools by mid next year or leave teaching altogether. The job sadly is not what it used to be. The cit definitely helps me.