PDA

View Full Version : Still worrying about throat

Primula
18-11-16, 09:17
Well even after clear blood tests I still cannot rationalise this bloody throat sensation, that's been going on for almost 5 months. I have no difficulty swallowing, no lumps in neck, but just can't get my mind off this sensation in the left side of my throat. Sometimes I feel it on the back of my tongue and sometimes on the side of my top palate. When I'm relaxed which is rarely these days I can almost forget it.
Could my mind be playing very cruel tricks on me? Could do with some support. :weep:

Sam Winter
18-11-16, 09:36
Hi there! x.
I have got to say I'm amazed I'm not the only one, I have LPR but since I was eight I've always had the throat sensation you get, it hasn't caused me any harm but its mighty uncomfortable especially after eating because I still panic its a choking sensation lol, I have a feeling its nothing dangerous especially as the doctors didn't find anything but I know it doesn't stop it feeling uncomfortable, if you ever need someone to talk to I'm here for you :hugs: x

Primula
18-11-16, 09:43
Thank you Sam. Thats very kind of you. I'm in am intense state of panic at the moment, and I know it's making me focus on my symptoms.

MyNameIsTerry
18-11-16, 11:30
When you are relaxed you almost forget it.

Now that sounds like a big clue as to why it bothers you so much when you aren't relaxed and also why working on being more relaxed will largely take this problem away.

Did they say why it has started now? Or is it possible it is no different but it's become the focus of your anxiety?

You've had doctors looking at this for you. Was there a referral about it? I can't remember what was on the other thread. So, if that's the case the panic is the same as how it can manifest over any symptom so how do you normally deal with that? What tools & techniques do you use off that site you often post in to help others can used now? What can you do to ease the adrenaline e.g. some walking to cause it to be metabolised. Are you just sitting thinking and if so what would you tell someone to try?

I hope you feel less anxious & panicky soon. :hugs:

pulisa
18-11-16, 12:55
Sometimes even if you know every tool and technique in the book it just doesn't work and your brain is just fixated on that symptom. Don't give yourself a hard time about this, Primula-I would suggest just accepting that you have these symptoms and what the hell..You have no problems swallowing,you're not regurgitating food and you aren't presenting with red flag symptoms. Most importantly, your GP isn't worried. Don't attach too much significance to your throat-the symptoms aren't preventing you from eating or swallowing and that is the main thing.

alxwang
18-11-16, 16:52
I have the same experience.
After I keep push the GP, he send me to see an ENT. ENT check me with all his devices like insert a camera into my nose. Then he also booked a CT for my head.
No problem was found but I still have the feeling like yours.
On top of I do not feel that when I am relax, I also can not feel it when I am busy.
I have no solution except live with it.

Primula
18-11-16, 20:24
Thanks everyone. When I'm rational I know what tools to use, but at the moment I'm in a deep dark spiral of health anxiety, and as Pulisa says, no matter what you know about health anxiety and whatever tools you have, sometimes nothing works.
I've realised that health anxiety comes and goes in cycles, and right now nothing I do or say to myself makes any difference, regardless of any counselling or what anyone says about not wasting my life worrying.
Of course I don't want to waste my life and I know that most likely my fears are unfounded, but unless you have first hand experience of hypochondria you really don't understand the horror it visits upon you. I will just wait patiently, trying out what I know has helped in the past, and looking forward to the day when health anxiety releases its grip on me once more.
I completely understand that people have real illnesses, and don't have much time for those of is with 'imaginary illnesses ' but health anxiety is so debilitating and affects the sufferers life in so many ways.
I wish so much that no one had to put up with this damned affliction.

Carrie8484
18-11-16, 21:38
Hi Primula
As you know I've had very similar issues, with a sensation down the right side of my throat, for the past 5 months. It even makes me gag.
I can feel it at the back of my tongue, sometimes at the top back part of my palate, and in that area in general all the time.
I've had a tonsillectomy,which was hell, (one large tonsil pointed to these symptoms at the time) a nasal endoscopy and 2 lots of meds for silent reflux. Nothing alleviated the symptoms!
The sensation is still there, but after the ENT surgeon showed me, on the screen, the camera down my throat showing a clear passage, I felt much more relaxed about it.
I just think 'what the heck' and get on with it now.

Others have advised you against reassurance seeking, and you have said that yourself, so if you don't want to ask for a nasal endoscopy, which I understand, I think you need to think about the fact that when you are relaxed, you don't feel it. That speak volumes!
You aren't alone with your symptoms ,I think it's a clear symptom of anxiety.
I hope you find comfort that others have experienced the same, and that you aren't tormented with it when you aren't anxious. I know how hard it is when you are in a horrid spiral like this X

Primula
18-11-16, 21:55
Thank you so much for your reply Carrie, it has given me comfort. I know that realistically that this is being caused by anxiety, it's such a powerful thing isn't it? I will try to just accept the feeling in my throat. It's never become any worse, but it's just so damned annoying, and of course as you know your mind can tell you all sorts of stories. I've made an appointment with doctor next week, and if they suggest further investigations I will go with it, but I won't ask to be referred unless they think it's advisable. Thanks again.

pulisa
19-11-16, 08:39
I think you can have too much knowledge of all the "tools and techniques" sometimes which puts pressure on you to rise above the symptoms..The more you try the worse it gets so maybe try the "I don't care, do your worst" approach? I think you have a very sensible approach as regards your GP visit next week.

Elen
19-11-16, 10:04
I think you can have too much knowledge of all the "tools and techniques" sometimes which puts pressure on you to rise above the symptoms..The more you try the worse it gets so maybe try the "I don't care, do your worst" approach? I think you have a very sensible approach as regards your GP visit next week.

Agree wholeheartedly. I hope you get relief soon Primula.

pulisa
19-11-16, 12:17
I think you know you are on the right track when you get past the caring about it stage. I've never found CBT remotely helpful with HA as it makes me try too hard to "overcome" the feeling and I personally find tools and techniques obstructive. That's just me though-I know NICE guidelines say otherwise. We all find our own way to navigate these murky waters..

Dasani95
21-11-16, 20:46
I'm having very similar symptoms.

Mine started about 10-12 weeks ago. I noticed some food go down rough and it seems like I've been getting a lump in my throat and difficulty swallowing since.

I had a thyroid ultrasound because it looked enlarged but that came back normal. Then I did a barium swallow which looked good. Finally, a transnasal endoscopy which resulted in a LPR diagnosis as well as tightness in my throat musculature (which could be anxiety related, therefore exacerbating my symptoms).

You could very well be similar to what I have. The tightness is also on my left side, like yours. I feel like our anxious response is a natural response to something occurring that shouldn't be (LPR). In a sensitive area like the throat, it would make sense to become anxious. It isn't fun but I'm trying to learn to cope with it. I was prescribed medication for my LPR and trying to adjust my diet and lifestyle.

Let me know if you want to chat.

Primula
25-11-16, 19:02
Update: saw doctor today. He says it's globus. He was very nice and explained it all to me. I feel relieved but still anxious. I know I need to get back on my plan. Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread.

London37
26-11-16, 18:11
I'm experiencing these symptoms at the moment but the things that terrifies me is that I've not had any tests like many of you have. I have been suffering a conveyor belt of unrelated symptoms for what seems like an eternity and now this. I cannot deal with it anymore. The thought of having to have tests because of this throat thing petrifies me. I would rather just bury my head in the sand as I cannot face going to the Dr to talk about yet another symptom that I'm convinced is cancer.

dale12345
26-11-16, 20:00
I had the same thing off and on, been to the Dr, said it was anxiety every time.

Kathryn313
27-11-16, 09:24
I'm experiencing these symptoms at the moment but the things that terrifies me is that I've not had any tests like many of you have. I have been suffering a conveyor belt of unrelated symptoms for what seems like an eternity and now this. I cannot deal with it anymore. The thought of having to have tests because of this throat thing petrifies me. I would rather just bury my head in the sand as I cannot face going to the Dr to talk about yet another symptom that I'm convinced is cancer.

Burying head in sand is a bad idea and doesn't change things, avoidance will make a problem bigger, especially if the problem is one that doesn't really exist...I hope you learn to face your fears and find some relief.

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

Hi

Bit late to the party with this thread but throat feelings sound just like mine.