PDA

View Full Version : lump on my mastoid bone (behind ear)

duke27
18-11-16, 11:17
Ok so I'm so freaked out. For a while now I've had a lump behind my ear which appears to be attached to the mastoid bone. It is about the size of a baked bean and feels immobile. This sounds so bad doesn't it. ConVincent it's something sinister. I've had this for a while and it feels larger than it was since having my baby 8 months ago. It's behind my right ear and feels larger in the morning I guess wheb j haven't been pushing it and prodding it all day. I can also feel my glands all down the side of my neck both sides all the time is this normal? Think they've always been like that. Had a neck ultrasound on them about 6 years ago and came back normal size. Is it normal to always feel them? Saw the doctor about another issue and brought up about lump behind ear. She felt it and just said cyst and was quick to get me out. So unbelievably worried 😟

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Also my throat is swollen on the right side and has been tor a while no sore throat etc but it's the same side as the lump. So petrified.

Gary A
18-11-16, 11:23
There are lymph nodes in the area you mention, they're called the occipital lymph nodes. Most people can feel them, and being the size of a baked bean sounds like a perfectly normal size for a lymph node. You may have some kind of minor throat infection or inflammation, this will always cause the glands to raise slightly.

If it gets bigger then it would be worth seeing your doctor again, but it doesn't sound like anything at all sinister, especially as its been checked by a doctor who clearly thought nothing much of it.

duke27
18-11-16, 11:28
Thanks for your reply. I just don't feel like I've got any sort of throat infection etc... my throat does look slightly swollen on that side and I also have a swollen lymph node in front of my right ear too which I've had for about 3 years I think. So petrified I'm convinced this is cancer. I have an 8 month old but I'm also getting dizziness, weight loss (could be from breastfeeding), and huge fatigue x

Gary A
18-11-16, 11:34
Thanks for your reply. I just don't feel like I've got any sort of throat infection etc... my throat does look slightly swollen on that side and I also have a swollen lymph node in front of my right ear too which I've had for about 3 years I think. So petrified I'm convinced this is cancer. I have an 8 month old but I'm also getting dizziness, weight loss (could be from breastfeeding), and huge fatigue x

If you're that convinced then you really need to speak to a doctor. Again, nothing you say sounds like anything other than a minor infection, perhaps even the effects of being run down and anxious, but if you aren't convinced by that then you simply must see a doctor.

saf138
18-11-16, 11:35
Hello
It wasn't too long ago I also posted a thread about the same issue as what you are having right now I too had a baked bean sized lump on the mastoid bone behind my left ear which was rock hard, immovable and very painful it turned out to be an active lymph node which flared up after I banged that left side of my head.
It remained like that for about 3 weeks before it went back to normal you mentioned you have a swollen throat so you too could have a active lymph node going on which is fighting of a minor infection or virus.
It is also perfectly normal to feel many glands around the neck and also around the rest of your body too.
All the best

duke27
18-11-16, 11:39
Thanks for your reply. This lump is not painful at all and I don't have any other symptoms relating to an infection. Can they be underlying? I remember I had blood tests about 4 months ago which showed nothing up is that a good sign? I do suffer with very painful jaw so maybe it's related to that? I need a trio to the dentist as I have a couple of fillings that need doing but I'm so nervous incase it triggers an underlying diseases.

Gary A
18-11-16, 11:48
Even small amounts of bacteria in a particular area can give rise to swollen glands in the same area. It could even be related to your teeth.

Your bloods were normal 6 months ago, you've had these symptoms far longer than 6 months. Anything sinister would have shown certain markers in your blood results.

It could just be that you have prominent glands, again, not at all an uncommon thing.

I would however suggest a trip to your doctor, to at least discuss your anxiety over these issues.

saf138
18-11-16, 11:50
A clean blood test is definitely a good sign and you don't always have to feel any symptoms of a small infection going on since your immune system is fighting hard to to deal with it.
As for your painful jaw that could even be the case for the swollen node I never thought a knock to the head could have made my lymph node to react to it it seems they can swell up for about any reason and if you look at many threads on here for swollen lymph nodes you will find the biggest culprit is the prodding and pushing I know its difficult to resist the temptation but you will have to try to not prod away.