PDA

View Full Version : White Tongue, Scared of Thrush & HIV

Randallflagg
18-11-16, 22:56
Hi all,

I had what I've been told is a low risk sexual encounter at a Vegas Strip Club back in June, although I was so drunk and have played the night back in my mind so many times I don't even know what happened and what didn't anymore. I have a wife I love and two amazing kids, to say I've been stressed for the past 6 months is the biggest understatement of my life.

Things had been going ok around the 3 month mark, I had a bunch of negative Std Tests including 2 Oraquick Tests at home and I thought I had put it all behind me. All of a sudden my tongue started to burn, kind of like I had too hot of a cup of coffee. It lasted a couple of days then went away, I didn't think too much about it and it went away for a couple of weeks.

One day in October I found out my wife was pregnant unexpectedly with our 3rd child and all of these crazy thoughts/feelings came back... guilt, fear I gave her HIV, fear I gave my unborn child HIV, embarrassment for the type of guys I had been that summer (never done anything like that). It was awful and instantly my tongue and mouth hurt again. A couple of days into that I noticed it was coated white and I started Googling, I convinced myself it was Thrush and my fears sky rocketed from there. Since then it has been like this one and off for weeks at a time.

Ive seen an ENT, Dentist and my PCP and all said it's not Thrush based on visual examination and I'm getting a test on Monday to sort it out definitively. My fear is that it is an early stage of Thrush which would mean I have HIV but think it's probably just a dry mouth since it looks more like inflamed papillae then the white patches that Thrush is described as, even then it still scares me as that's a symptom of HIV as well. I also had a blood HIV test at my PCPs today which I won't get results for 3 days, definitely scared for those results too.

I guess I'm not sure why I'm here, maybe someone has had similar fears and got through it. Maybe just to vent, I don't know... definitely going through a tough time.

Has anyone ever had a similar experience with white tongue where they were worried it was Thrush and it ended up being something else!

How does everyone feel about Oraquick? Are they reliable?

Would it be normal for this to be the sole symptom of HIV 5-6 months after exposure? I haven't had any of the normal ARS symptoms over the past 5-6 months i.e. Fevers, headaches, sore throats or Lymphnodes. Just normal stress related stuff like loss of appetite or sleepless nights.

Never been so scared and anxious in my life, can't imagine life ever getting back to the way it was before. So tired of acting like a different person in front of my family, friends and people I work with when in reality I just want to curl up in a ball and cry.

Thanks for your help and support.

Capercrohnj
19-11-16, 01:27
Trust your doctors when they say it isn't thrush but even if it is thrush doesn't equal HIV. I've had oral thrush and I don't have HIV

KaalynJohnson
19-11-16, 04:57
Googling HIV symptoms is the worst because they'll give you very vague, general things and won't tell you that it's actually uncommon to have any real symptoms of HIV after infection - particularly after the first two months. Most get some kind of Flu-like symptoms within a month and then are completely asymptomatic for upwards of a decade.

As for your anxiety on the matter, I'd suggest googling the odds of transmission based on what you did (or think you did) in Las Vegas. You'll be astounded by how low the actual number will be and it should relax you somewhat.