PDA

View Full Version : Don't be embarassed by mediacation

mezzaninedoor
20-11-16, 19:10
This is not medical advice by the way, on my part. I'm just aware that with 'Depression' not being a choice I think it's also fair to say that taking medication is not a choice either, I know a lot of people who get mental health illnesses and at some point they seem to get embarassed that they are taking medication for something that can't be seen, no physical signs, so they just take themselves off medication which I think can be very sad if that's down to being embarassed that we have to take cocktails of medication to help us. Ultimately I'm as stable as I am due to therapy and the medical model and I don't think we should feel embarassed about taking medication, the medical model works, not perhaps for everyone but for lots and lots of folks with the challenges we see around us, perhaps walking in similar shoes to ours.

So I've been reading around and I think there are a number of things to be aware of:-

Don't let the stigma put you off taking medication that may be good for you.

Remember that if you ever come off medication it ought to be done with the help of Health professionals.

Sometimes medications do only work for a time and again you need to discuss if you are feeling that you are getting less statbility from your medications, I know that I have had to have my medications tinkered with a couple of times due to mood and tiredness in the last year.

The medical model can take time to find out what works for you, I know last year there was a period of 3 to 4 months where my medications was being constantly altered, with good reasons explained to me.

Medication alone won't work. Theres also looking at fitness, looking at eating, looking at therapy, looking at your sleeping regime etc etc

I hope this has made sense, I was drawn to write this because there was a friend I know who has just takenbb himself off medication with not very good results and it was sad to see him blame his medication as he came off it, it was hard to see the hardship he was causing himself. Hope it makes some vague sense anyways for folks.

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 05:28
Yes, good post, Tony. Totally agree.

We have more of a choice than you have with your additional challenges to control the swings but there has been lots of stigma in bipolar so we can both understand a bit about each others concerns over the perception of others.

Hopefully this will just reduce as awareness continues and sufferers talk more publicly so that it just becomes like any other health condition. I remember when I was diagnosed with asthma as a child, it was still uncommon and people didn't understand it (sadly that also included many GP's) but awareness, and the epidemic that seemed to come, has made it so common that no one seems to care anymore.

I used to feel self conscious about my inhalers as a young lad, I doubt it's like that now. Obviously, i'm assuming because I'm also quite aware that as you very older you stop caring about other people's perceptions over many things but I wouldn't say that about my mental health and meds at this stage in my life.

Completely agree on a holistic approach and I think this is where the NHS struggles. We get a GP to prescribe, a therapist to guide us but no one talks much sky l about exercise or diet and GP'S aren't trained to.

Magic
23-11-16, 12:17
Yes, good advice. I agree too.