PDA

View Full Version : Every symptom under the sun

NewDayNewSymptom
21-11-16, 10:29
Hi, this is my first ever post here but I've been a member for about 3 months. I've been having a severe bout of anxiety since August. I can never tell if physical symptoms or anxiety come first. Every time I learn to 'forget' about one a new one pops up to take its place. Each one more worrying than the last but I guess the fact that the old symptom is 'replaced' rather than escalating is a good thing? Well now over the past 3 or 4 days I've got muscle twitches of varying strengths all over my body. Literally every part has been affected at some point. I'm sick. I don't know why I'm posting but I'm just fed up with feeling sick with worry and now this is something that's presenting itself so strongly that I can't ignore it.

SLA
21-11-16, 10:34
Thanks for posting!

The problem with the word "Symptom" is that implies that it relates to a disease.

There are plenty of perfectly normal bodily sensations that are not related to anything else.

We are an organic being, and not robotic. Not everything is a symptom of something else.

I can never tell if physical symptoms or anxiety come first.

In your case the anxiety.

If you had physical sensations without anxiety, you'd just be getting on with life as normal.

NewDayNewSymptom
21-11-16, 15:37
Thanks for your reply. It's hard not to fixate on all the things that symptoms could relate to. Over the years I've had all sorts of things but in be moment it always seems like the current thing is the most serious thing ever to happen. I'm really fed up. And this one, the twitching is so intrusive it's hard to ignore. Its hard to think it's just anxiety related and that the body and mind can do this. Have other people had similar experiences? It freaks me out that it was already going on as I woke up this morning.

paranoid-viking
21-11-16, 15:48
Thanks for posting!

The problem with the word "Symptom" is that implies that it relates to a disease.

There are plenty of perfectly normal bodily sensations that are not related to anything else.

You are right; absolutely right; but according to the tabloid media and awareness crusraders one should run to the doctor or even the ER immediately for every body sensation that feels strange and demand CT screening and whatever. It is no wonder why people like me end up being hypocondriacs.

Zilde
21-11-16, 23:13
You are right; absolutely right; but according to the tabloid media and awareness crusraders one should run to the doctor or even the ER immediately for every body sensation that feels strange and demand CT screening and whatever. It is no wonder why people like me end up being hypocondriacs.

Isn't it just?

It's the contradiction that gets me. Billboards outside hospitals saying not to go unless it's an absolute emergency and posters in every GP surgery asking people to essentially stop wasting doctor's time and go to the pharmacy instead.

Then you have adverts on TV every few minutes warning you about the symptoms of stroke, various cancers, etc and to get them checked out by a doctor asap.

You can't win.

paranoid-viking
22-11-16, 10:15
Isn't it just?

It's the contradiction that gets me. Billboards outside hospitals saying not to go unless it's an absolute emergency and posters in every GP surgery asking people to essentially stop wasting doctor's time and go to the pharmacy instead.

Then you have adverts on TV every few minutes warning you about the symptoms of stroke, various cancers, etc and to get them checked out by a doctor asap.

You can't win.

Well, according to the crusraders for awareness and tabloid journos every little discomfort is an absolute emergency even if it comes and goes. One campaing is even screming with exclamation mark that you must demand CT tests if you have stomach pain and anxiety. What the eff? Of course I get anxiety when I have stomach pain; especially because of what this aggresive scaremongers are promoting of fear. I hate awareness campaigns I really do. And I really question if it is actually is saving any life. My dad survived cancer. Because of awarenes campaigns and tabloid media? Nope! He never pay attention to such things.It was ecause of pure common sene to seek out help asap when he had excrucitaitng pain. Pure common sense and only that!
My gratitude that he is alive today goes to the doctors and medical staff at the hospital and hos own common sense of course. And NOT to tabloid media or "awareness" crusraders that does nothing but scare people.