PDA

View Full Version : Itchy head - anyone else? Please help!!

fizzle90
21-11-16, 10:55
Please help me, I’m going insane.

For the last two weeks my head has been itching. Not my scalp, my head. Like crawling – headlice. It’s not all day and it’s not constant, but it is everyday.
Now I should mention that headlice, bedbugs and fleas are a huge worry for me. I’ve been through a phase of being convinced I had bedbugs – turned out I didn’t. I’ve been through a few phases of thinking I had lice as this has happened before – I didn’t. This is what I’m holding on to – that it could just be anxiety/Pure O. However, what worries me is that it’s never gone on this long before and it’s never felt so ‘real’ before. I’ve had my head checked twice and nothing has been found. I’ve even gone out and bought the treatment and put it on. Then I did the whole comb/conditioner thing as well – nothing. So the facts are in my favour, I know that. However I can’t explain how real this crawling feeling feels. Even when I’m not thinking about it, it happens. I’m analysing who and where I could’ve caught nits from.
I’ve told myself that this is it now, no more worrying about it as there has been nothing found. But it keeps happening and that’s why I can’t stop myself worrying about it. I even feel like going to the doctor and asking them to check as I feel like I just don’t believe the person that’s checked twice already because of how real it feels.
This is pulling me into a bad place re anxiety, please does anyone have any advice?

SLA
21-11-16, 11:19
If I focus enough on my head and scalp, I can make itches appear. In fact, just seeing someone else itch can make us want to itch.

So because itching on your scalp has become your obsession, you are caught in a loop of manifesting and feeling your own sensations.

The route out is to assign less importance to the itches. You have an itch on your scalp? So what... we all do. They don't cause any problems...

The less you focus on them, the less of a problem they will become.

fizzle90
21-11-16, 13:20
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. What makes me question your theory is a couple of things,
1 - you say this is my obsession and so my brain is creating the sensation. What I question on that is, the sensations came about on their own initially, they didn't come from nowhere. Yes maybe now they have become a bit of an obsession but they weren't initially, they came out of nowhere. That's why I have trouble accepting this theory.

2- you say if I focus on it enough it will itch - What I question on that is, I've had a couple of days where I've consciously (sp?) assigned less focus when it happens. This is not making a difference to the frequency or how real it feels when it does happen. This is why I have trouble accepting that it's just as easy as that, to focus less/assign less importance to them. Because it honestly doesn't make a difference.

I guess I just can't accept as well that the brain makes these sensations feel so real. It's almost as if I want to say, I know there is something in there. There's got to be. I'm struggling with this big time. :(

SLA
21-11-16, 14:52
You make two great points, but you also answer your own question.

you say this is my obsession and so my brain is creating the sensation. What I question on that is, the sensations came about on their own initially, they didn't come from nowhere. Yes maybe now they have become a bit of an obsession but they weren't initially, they came out of nowhere. That's why I have trouble accepting this theory.

Everyone has an itchy head from time to time, regardless of whether they focus on it or not. So you are right, the initial itchiness was a real sensation, and now your focus has become obsessed on it, you are feeling them all of the time.

I guess I just can't accept as well that the brain makes these sensations feel so real.

This just doesn't make sense. The brain is the source of all feelings and experiences. Everything you ever experience will manifest itself from the brain. So yes, the brain can make these sensations feel so real.

It's almost as if I want to say, I know there is something in there.

You have formed a belief now that there is something there when there isn't. So you are focussed on it, and stuck in a cycle of trying to reaffirm that belief.

Only way to move on is to let go of the belief that there is something there.

I will say this... YOUR HEAD WILL STILL ITCH OCCASIONALLY.

My body has been crawling with itches just writing about them.

They don't mean anything though. So at some point, give yourself permission to move on.

lotusblossom
21-11-16, 22:40
Hi yes ive had that in the past just like something is crawling over my head weird sensation but feels very real. went docs on an unrelated matter and just happened to mention it he looked at my scalp and said nothing wrong there had it off and on for ages but didn't focus on it to busy with family things and eventually it just went and haven't had it since. positive thoughts