PDA

View Full Version : Counselling

KW
18-10-04, 11:24
Hi all

I am seeing a counsellor for the first time on Wednesday eve. So many questions are whizzing around in my head, i just wondered.. is it up to me with how many times i'd like to see my counsellor?.. just i'm a bit worried about the cost of it all and don't know if i can afford to go weekly. Although i realise it will be a greater cost to me in the long run if i don't go at all...

KW

Karen
18-10-04, 12:45
Hi KW

I understand you are anxious about your appointment with the counsellor on Wednesday. I don't think I would even have made it to my first appointment if my friend hadn't come with me! I am sure the counsellor will soon put you at ease and answer any questions you might have. You could always write them down to take to the appointment with you.

I think the counsellor will leave the decision to you as to how frequently you see them and how many sessions you have. I know it is costly and it is a struggle for me to meet the cost too. I am having sessions every fortnight at the moment as this is all I can manage, but may have to cut back to monthly.

I am sure the counsellor will discuss it with you on Wednesday.

Briary

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Meg
18-10-04, 13:05
Hi KW,

Good for you for making the decision to go .

If this is your first visit with them, you may find its more of a fact finding exercise so they can assess how they would like to run the sessions with you and you can also be assessing whether you can work and discuss your issues with this person.

You will also discuss and agree between you the frequency of visits and how many you're aiming for .

Let us know how you get on ..

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

seh1980
18-10-04, 13:30
hello KW,

Well done for deciding to go!!

I see a counsellor and it is up to me how often I go...she is really nice and understanding about all of my issues. I'm sure that it will be the same for you. Let us know how it goes, ok?

Sarah :D

lainey
18-10-04, 15:42
Hi KW

Good luck with your counselling and well done for deciding to go. I have had about 8 sessions with mine but it was up to me whether I carried on or not. Why not ask your GP for referral to a NHS counsellor, see if there is one linked to the practice. I was very fortunate as there is one at our practice and I only had to wait 3 weeks to be referred. Let us know how u get on!

Take care

Elaine x

minny
18-10-04, 15:52
Hi KW!

I too am lucky enough to have a counsellor attatched to my gp's surgery so cost isnt an issue. You will know as time progresses how often you will need to visit. Its a very individual thing.
Good luck to you let us all know how you get on.

Love Minny..xx

I have NOT failed!! Ive succeeded in finding 1000 solutions that dont work! :o)

Sue
18-10-04, 17:54
Good for you! You are bound to be a little nervous but it will be fine!

Let us know how you get on.

Sue

KW
19-10-04, 11:22
Thank you all for your support. Will let you know how it goes tomorrow night.

I'm looking forward to it in a way - i'm addressing the problem and not running away from it anymore

KW

jo-jo
20-10-04, 10:07
Hope everything goes well tonight - I've no doubt the counsellor will soon put you at your ease and will be happy to work with you regarding the number of appointment you can afford and how often etc.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Jo x

pips
20-10-04, 13:05
Hi KW. I Hope it all goes well for you. I have the same problem with hypnotherapy it being quite expensive. I try to go once a month. You will find that the counceller will be very understanding and should work with whats best for you!

I hope alls well

Take care

Love PIP's XX

KW
20-10-04, 14:10
Thank you Jo and Pips...feeling nervous, but i'm sure i'll be ok. Thanks for your support

Kerry x

KW

Karen
20-10-04, 15:39
Good luck for tonight Kerry. Let us know how it goes.

Briary

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

KW
21-10-04, 09:36
Hi all

Counselling went very well - better than expected. My counsellor was so lovely and i felt at ease with her straight away. I know this because when she asked me to tell her a bit about myself i really opened up and i probably spoke too much as we ran over time!! :)

But anyway she said she doesn't think i'll need many sessions and after telling her about my childhood she said it's no wonder this phobia has escalated and thinks i'm coping really well. I feel relieved that i went and am looking forward to next week - i'll have tasks to do next week so that's where the fun will start.

Thank you all so much for your support. Without your encouragement i wouldn't have gone ahead with this so i really do appreciate your advice :)

KW

Karen
21-10-04, 15:24
Hi KW

I'm so glad to hear the counselling went well. Feeling comfortable with the counsellor is the important thing and does help you to open up.

I'm sure things can only improve for you from now on.

Briary

Sue
21-10-04, 17:26
Really pleased for you!!

well done!

Sue

KW
03-11-04, 14:48
Hi all

Just thought i'd keep you updated and my counselling is going so well. To think that 3 weeks ago i felt like asking the doc to sign me off work and having had counselling i wouldn't dream of doing that now.

My counsellor is so nice and she thinks i'll only need a couple more sessions. She said i'm doing all that i should be doing but i need to believe in myself a bit more. She also thinks the thing i fear (talking aloud infront of groups or in meetings) is actually something i'm gifted at which shocked me a bit! She said i explain things very well and clearly and would be good at giving talks. So that gave me confidence.

I know my problem will always be there but i'm gradually learning how to cope with it and thinking alternative thoughts that are positive - not negative. I'm also accepting it's natural to be nervous at times and things don't have to be black and white.

I mentioned this website which she thinks is brilliant too.

Thank you all for your advice and support. I'm not saying goodbye but i just thought i'd put this down so that anyone who may have just joined can see that things are possible. It just takes time...:)

Kerry x

KW

Meg
03-11-04, 15:09
Hey - thats brilliant news

Well done Kerry

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

Karen
03-11-04, 15:42
Hi Kerry

Well done. That's such positive news. You've been taking such big steps forward and making brilliant progress.

Karen