PDA

View Full Version : I used to take citalopram before

paranoid-viking
21-11-16, 15:10
And I used it for years, maybe 20 years or so. And for 10 years I have used nexium. However, last year I read online that there was a severe helath risk if using both of these medications; and because of that I did quit citalopram. I did not quit cold turkey; it was gradual and with guidance from my GP. No I somehow regret it; because my anxiety is definitely much worse than one year ago when I quit the anti depresivs. But the match result of citalopram+nexium I foound online was so scary I felt I have to stop. But the result is probably worsened anxiety. However, are there anyone here with experience of using BOTH citalopram and nexium? My doses of citalopram was 20 mg.

paranoid-viking
22-11-16, 10:08
No one?

MyNameIsTerry
22-11-16, 11:43
Esomeprazole can mean additive effects to the Cit which causes it to be in blood plasma in higher amounts. Your GP would just need to adjust for that and monitor you. Whilst it's a Major interaction, so is any switching protocol where they cross taper (just for some balance on what a Major interaction is).

The Long QT issue is the one you will have read about. That significantly increases in risk above 40mg of Cit for little benefit which is why they reduced the maximums for Cit worldwide in recent years.

So, it may not be as much of a risk at a lower dose like 20mg anyway. It's worth talking to your GP and to be honest, they should have discussed this with you when you decided to come off since you've been scared by something on the internet which probably didn't give you the full picture.

Fishmanpa
22-11-16, 13:01
I recall the PPI scare and since I've been taking them for years (OTC and prescription), I asked my GP about it. He blew it off and backed it with some ridiculously low statistics of it causing issues. It's often the same with other meds. Listen to a US drug commercial. It's 10 seconds of benefits and 30 seconds or more of potential side effects!

If you had been taking those meds for 10-20 years with no issues, I would consider that to be the only proof you need that they were safe for you. Discuss this with your doctor and consider starting again as they obviously helped you before.

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
22-11-16, 13:38
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

paranoid-viking
23-11-16, 13:29
Esomeprazole can mean additive effects to the Cit which causes it to be in blood plasma in higher amounts. Your GP would just need to adjust for that and monitor you. Whilst it's a Major interaction, so is any switching protocol where they cross taper (just for some balance on what a Major interaction is).

The Long QT issue is the one you will have read about. That significantly increases in risk above 40mg of Cit for little benefit which is why they reduced the maximums for Cit worldwide in recent years.

So, it may not be as much of a risk at a lower dose like 20mg anyway. It's worth talking to your GP and to be honest, they should have discussed this with you when you decided to come off since you've been scared by something on the internet which probably didn't give you the full picture.

Well, it was that webpage where you type in medications you use and a results comes up, like minimal risk, low risk, moderate risk, high risk etc. Forgots its name. Dont know if it is a legitimate source. For the last months I learned there is a lot of unreliable health sites online.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

I recall the PPI scare and since I've been taking them for years (OTC and prescription), I asked my GP about it. He blew it off and backed it with some ridiculously low statistics of it causing issues. It's often the same with other meds. Listen to a US drug commercial. It's 10 seconds of benefits and 30 seconds or more of potential side effects!

If you had been taking those meds for 10-20 years with no issues, I would consider that to be the only proof you need that they were safe for you. Discuss this with your doctor and consider starting again as they obviously helped you before. Thanks for the replies.

Positive thoughts

You are right. I am going to talk to my doc about it. She knows how my anxiety has woorsened the last months and it would be no problem to get a new prescription.