PDA

View Full Version : Very low:( ALS fear. Giving up.

Ljthompson10
21-11-16, 18:41
Hi everyone, I'm very low at the minute and am planning to see my school nurse/GP tomorrow so please don't be annoyed with me and give support. I'm terrified I have ALS.

I now have new symptoms. My left hand is thinner thank my right hand, especially the paddy bit on the palm. And there seems to be excess skin and not as much muscle. And on the pinky side of my hand there seems to be no muscle!! Same with my left arm but not as bad. I have widespread muscle twitches which don't bother me as much as I ignore them when I'm busy.

And today I have noticed that I have a tight feeling in my throat, as if there is a lump and it makes me panic and feel sticky at times. It's horrid. I also have excess saliva.

I'm only 17 and am so scared it's untrue. I lost one relative last year because of this awful illness (no family history) and I feel as though I'm next. I'm petrified. I am still very strong and go to the gym however and and doing CBT for my anxiety. But I'm so low at the minute and am praying I'm fine.
I have been shouted at and kicked off the ALS forum multiple times and they say they are sick to death of me. And I know why as I must come across as such an idiot.

Please reply people x :( :( I have had a lot of support from the great people on this forum in the past so thank you all by the way

Gary A
21-11-16, 20:23
Why are you on the ALS forum?

You do realise that by empathising and discussing this illness with people who do actually have it will only make you think you have it too, don't you?

I can't sympathise with someone who is going out of their way to self distruct. You don't have ALS, you have a few minor symptoms of anxiety. You are doing your damnedest to convince yourself otherwise.

Ljthompson10
21-11-16, 21:13
I know. I am sorry guys. You must think I'm so annoying!

I also get muscle twitching in my upper lip. So terrifying!!

Gets me so down :(

Ljthompson10
21-11-16, 21:21
But how do I keep my mind off the possibility of having a life threatening illness:(

Ljthompson10
21-11-16, 21:25
Come on...

What?? I have all the symptoms....

Fishmanpa
21-11-16, 21:25
I discovered this forum because HA sufferers would come posting on the cancer forums I was part of. I came to tell them to respect those that actually have the disease. I stayed around to help.

Post all you want here but do not... I repeat DO NOT post on the ALS forums. It's disrespectful beyond words!

I hope you find some peace.

Positive thoughts

Ljthompson10
21-11-16, 21:28
Come on...

What???? :(

Gary A
21-11-16, 21:29
What?? I have all the symptoms....

No you don't, and the fact that you think you do has literally proven my point.

Ljthompson10
21-11-16, 21:29
I discovered this forum because HA sufferers would come posting on the cancer forums I was part of. I stayed around to help.

Post all you want here but do not... I repeat DO NOT post on the ALS forums. It's disrespectful beyond words!

Positive thoughts

But I've driven myself to honestly believe I have this awful illness.

SLA
21-11-16, 21:30
so scared it's untrue

Funny how the words people use gives an insight into their thought processes. :D

LJ, whatever it is, you have a problem.

And its not ALS.

Ljthompson10
21-11-16, 21:31
No you don't, and the fact that you think you do has literally proven my point.

How don't I?

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

Funny how the words people use gives an insight into their thought processes. :D

LJ, whatever it is, you have a problem.

And its not ALS.

Are you 100% certain it's not ALS. I just want to go to my CBT session on Friday positively :)

SLA
21-11-16, 21:31
I'm not playing the game. Sorry.

Ljthompson10
21-11-16, 21:34
I'm not playing the game. Sorry.

What game mate?

Fishmanpa
21-11-16, 21:34
These threads are going in a very familiar path. It's probably best to not engage at this point as it's just feeding the beast... just my humble opinion and I'm out!

Positive thoughts

Gary A
21-11-16, 21:37
How don't I?

---------- Post added at 21:31 ---------- Previous post was at 21:30 ----------

Are you 100% certain it's not ALS. I just want to go to my CBT session on Friday positively :)

So you reckon that because your hands aren't precisely uniform with each other that this signals ALS?

Christ, I'll bet people with ALS wish that was what it actually did.

Ljthompson10
21-11-16, 21:38
Alright thanks guys.
It's just I've seen how I'll my grandad was with it and I was so close to him and it's almost scarred me. I miss him so much.

But sorry if I'm annoying you guys. Today it's just been on my mind and I have been terribly scared :(

Sorry guys.

Gary A
21-11-16, 21:40
Alright thanks guys.
It's just I've seen how I'll my grandad was with it and I was so close to him and it's almost scarred me. I miss him so much.

But sorry if I'm annoying you guys. Today it's just been on my mind and I have been terribly scared :(

Sorry guys.

That's understandable, but how about doing your best to live your life to the fullest. Surely that's what your grandad would want, not to see you curled up in a ball trying desperately to diagnose yourself with this awful illness.

Ljthompson10
21-11-16, 21:40
So you reckon that because your hands aren't precisely uniform with each other that this signals ALS?

Christ, I'll bet people with ALS wish that was what it actually did.

It's that yeah. And the muscle twitches and the tightness in throat mate. Are these not concerning? I feel fine physically and am still going to the gym every night.

Gary A
21-11-16, 21:42
It's that yeah. And the muscle twitches and the tightness in throat mate. Are these not concerning? I feel fine physically and am still going to the gym every night.

If these "symptoms" were concerning, 99% of the population would think they had ALS.

ALS sufferers can't go to the gym every night, can't you rationalise that one out?

Ljthompson10
21-11-16, 21:44
If these "symptoms" were concerning, 99% of the population would think they had ALS.

ALS sufferers can't go to the gym every night, can't you rationalise that one out?

Yeah mate I guess.

I'm going to try and stay positive until my CBT session.

I'm not sure seeing my GP at this point would help and would just keep things in my head.

Am I safe to leave it yeah.

And yeah true. My grandad was very positive and we could tell he was very ill as soon as he got the illness

Gary A
21-11-16, 21:47
You don't have ALS, you have absolutely no reason whatsoever to think that you do.

If you ask again you're simply wallowing in the anxiety. Brand it on to your brain and stop repeatedly asking about a condition that you simply do not have.

MyNameIsTerry
21-11-16, 22:53
Are there any serious lifters at your gym? If so, ask them how many years they have spent trying to achieve muscle symmetry. How many years trying to eliminate strength imbalances and weaknesses that hold them back.

Ask the PT's. Read a bodybuilding mag. See the posts on bodybuilding.com.

They talk about it all the time.

You are taking normality and distorting it into something that should be scary. Do I have imbalances of strength & symmetry in my body? Yes, since birth, like probably anyone who hasn't been cloned to be a perfect human being.

I don't mean chase reassurance when I say ask them. What I mean is if you asked them rather than us I bet money on how much longer they would spend complaining about the work to make themselves more perfect. Serious bodybuilding, as in competitive, it's not just judged on size, muscle symmetry is an important criteria.

Ljthompson10
22-11-16, 07:33
Thankyou guys.

I'm fine with that now. But I can't stop swallowing now I've put my mind on it and I feel as if I have excess saliva. I swallow like every 15 seconds and my throat feels very very tight and sometimes I feel as if it is going to close in. Is this common in anxiety aswell guys?

Gary A
22-11-16, 08:15
You feel like this because you're focusing on swallowing. If everyone focused their attention fully on swallowing, we would all feel a difficulty.

Stop this.

MyNameIsTerry
22-11-16, 08:28
Yep, it's very common.

There is even an OCD theme that covers it, not that I think you have that theme at all since it would have dominated any of your other worries by a mile.

So, it's about being sensitised. Try to distract yourself with activities that gone on for a time so that you are engaged in something that takes your mind away from symptoms.

Ljthompson10
22-11-16, 08:35
Yep, it's very common.

There is even an OCD theme that covers it, not that I think you have that theme at all since it would have dominated any of your other worries by a mile.

So, it's about being sensitised. Try to distract yourself with activities that gone on for a time so that you are engaged in something that takes your mind away from symptoms.

I occasionally feel like my throat is tightening up and it makes me feel gaggy and sicky. It's horrible. But I'll take it his is common aswell?

I have heard ALS is about failing not feeling.

Gary A
22-11-16, 08:40
ALS is a horrific debilitating illness. As you've been told, you really wouldn't be asking these questions if you really did have it, you'd be at the doctors getting put through a barrage of tests.

ALS is not in any way subtle, please try to understand that.

MyNameIsTerry
22-11-16, 08:47
I occasionally feel like my throat is tightening up and it makes me feel gaggy and sicky. It's horrible. But I'll take it his is common aswell?

I have heard ALS is about failing not feeling.

The best thing to do would be to prepare yourself for anxiety, by which I mean read the symptoms articles. It will answer your questions like this. It's not fully comprehensive, there will be things not on the list that you will find elsewhere across the internet on anxiety support sites.

Anxiety causes tons of symptoms, things you wouldn't believe and to a level you would never believe unless you read case histories of more extreme sufferers. Many of the symptoms overlap with so many other actual physical disorders or conditions and this is where a lot of HA sufferers tend to come unstuck.

For instance, any cancer site will tell you fatigue is connected. But then wouldn't you expect fatigue with anything that makes you feel so unwell? Fatigue and mental health disorders go hand in hand. But the HA sufferer zooms in on symptoms they have, so to diagnose with scary problem X, but doesn't look at the criteria to realise they don't have the others that would also be expected. That's why doctors work through symptoms, they also look for ones that you have that don't fit the diagnosis either and this brings them to the real problem. HA people struggle maintaining this level of objectivity.

Ljthompson10
22-11-16, 08:54
The best thing to do would be to prepare yourself for anxiety, by which I mean read the symptoms articles. It will answer your questions like this. It's not fully comprehensive, there will be things not on the list that you will find elsewhere across the internet on anxiety support sites.

Anxiety causes tons of symptoms, things you wouldn't believe and to a level you would never believe unless you read case histories of more extreme sufferers. Many of the symptoms overlap with so many other actual physical disorders or conditions and this is where a lot of HA sufferers tend to come unstuck.

For instance, any cancer site will tell you fatigue is connected. But then wouldn't you expect fatigue with anything that makes you feel so unwell? Fatigue and mental health disorders go hand in hand. But the HA sufferer zooms in on symptoms they have, so to diagnose with scary problem X, but doesn't look at the criteria to realise they don't have the others that would also be expected. That's why doctors work through symptoms, they also look for ones that you have that don't fit the diagnosis either and this brings them to the real problem. HA people struggle maintaining this level of objectivity.

Yeah it's just the ALS symptoms are so vague but I just if I had it I wouldn't be questioning it.

Colicab85
22-11-16, 09:20
ALS symptoms are not vague.

I had a very close friend who was diagnosed last summer because his fingers on his right hand stopped working. He deteriorated massively within a space of 2 months to the point he couldn't walk.

He was put on a breathing machine in February this year, 8 months after diagnosis. Does this sound subtle?

He died just under 2 months ago from pneumonia because his lungs didn't work anymore.

I'm not saying this to scare you further, this is how UNSUBTLE ALS is. You don't question.

Josh1234
22-11-16, 16:03
"im still very strong.."

stopped reading there. you dont have ALS. period. twitching is not a symptom of ALS, its a byproduct of it.

Ljthompson10
22-11-16, 18:00
"im still very strong.."

stopped reading there. you dont have ALS. period. twitching is not a symptom of ALS, its a byproduct of it.

But I have:
Excess saliva
Much. Thinner less muscally left arm and hand!
Thinner left side of body
Sometimes my throats feels tight and like it's closing in.
Twitching all over eg. A fair bit on my top right bit of lip.

:( would I be aware 100% if I had just developed it :(

ServerError
22-11-16, 18:15
You'd be aware something was seriously wrong. Then you'd get a diagnosis.

But all you're listing are incredibly common anxiety symptoms, all of which I and many others have had in our time.

Ljthompson10
22-11-16, 19:06
You'd be aware something was seriously wrong. Then you'd get a diagnosis.

But all you're listing are incredibly common anxiety symptoms, all of which I and many others have had in our time.

I just think I've build up the fear and almost persuaded myself I've got it. But like I say I'd be very concerned that something was seriously wrong and I wouldn't hesistate to go to the GP ASAP. And I think my parents would seriously want me to go aswell as my grandad had it and they saw it all. But they keep insisting in 100% fine

Colicab85
22-11-16, 19:38
I just think I've build up the fear and almost persuaded myself I've got it. But like I say I'd be very concerned that something was seriously wrong and I wouldn't hesistate to go to the GP ASAP. And I think my parents would seriously want me to go aswell as my grandad had it and they saw it all. But they keep insisting in 100% fine

And they're right. Read my post again.

Captain irrational
22-11-16, 20:48
Hi everyone, I'm very low at the minute and am planning to see my school nurse/GP tomorrow so please don't be annoyed with me and give support. I'm terrified I have ALS.

I now have new symptoms. My left hand is thinner thank my right hand, especially the paddy bit on the palm. And there seems to be excess skin and not as much muscle. And on the pinky side of my hand there seems to be no muscle!! Same with my left arm but not as bad. I have widespread muscle twitches which don't bother me as much as I ignore them when I'm busy.

And today I have noticed that I have a tight feeling in my throat, as if there is a lump and it makes me panic and feel sticky at times. It's horrid. I also have excess saliva.

I'm only 17 and am so scared it's untrue. I lost one relative last year because of this awful illness (no family history) and I feel as though I'm next. I'm petrified. I am still very strong and go to the gym however and and doing CBT for my anxiety. But I'm so low at the minute and am praying I'm fine.
I have been shouted at and kicked off the ALS forum multiple times and they say they are sick to death of me. And I know why as I must come across as such an idiot.

Please reply people x :( :( I have had a lot of support from the great people on this forum in the past so thank you all by the way

We have been through all of this on your other thread. You do NOT have ALS.

And stay away from the ALS forum. It is highly disrespectful to the genuine sufferers on there and it only fuels your anxiety.

Sparkling_Fairy
22-11-16, 21:06
But I have:
Excess saliva

Excess saliva is not a sign of ALS. It occurs when ALS is already in a far advanced stage and you're no longer able to swallow. At this point though, you would also not be able to walk or move most of your body anymore.

Everyone's non-dominant side is thinner. Mine sure is. My rings that fit on my left hand don't fit on my right hand, because I'm right handed. That side is more developed because you do more with it.

My throat feels tight a lot with anxiety. Again, not a symptom of ALS.

Muscle twitching is also a later symptom of ALS. I had this for over a year, and still have it on occasion. But it subsided for the most part. For us, it's anxiety.
For them, it's neurons dying and again they would probably not be able to move certain parts of their body.
As someone here said: you deteriorate fast with ALS. Since you've been experiencing this for a while, there's no chance in hell you have it.

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 05:08
But I have:
Excess saliva

Twitching - dead common anxiety symptom. Hypnic Jerks, for instance. I've always found they are worse when anxiety is high.

Excess saliva - doesn't that happen to everyone when anxious?

Throat tightening - dead common anxiety symptom seen on the Symptoms board all the time.

Less muscular on left side - so you are right handed then? Read what I said about the bodybuilders, they spend many years changing to be as symmetrical as they can be.

Thinner one side - without taking measurements, you are going to make mistakes with what you see. How long do you think you've been like that? Would your parents, or any pictures, show you the same before as now? Plus you are still young and will be filling out for years yet, all of which is based on what you are doing to build your muscles. Which takes me onto another issue, you work out. So, you may be putting more emphasison your dominant side, something PTs work with people to correct and why they say ditch barbells for dumbbells. Doing much with a barbell? Chest presses, shoulder presses, biceps curls, etc?

---------- Post added at 05:08 ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 ----------

Thankyou guys.

I'm fine with that now. But I can't stop swallowing now I've put my mind on it and I feel as if I have excess saliva. I swallow like every 15 seconds and my throat feels very very tight and sometimes I feel as if it is going to close in. Is this common in anxiety aswell guys?

You feel like this because you're focusing on swallowing. If everyone focused their attention fully on swallowing, we would all feel a difficulty.

Stop this.

It's like Gary says, the more you try to consciously take over a subconscious process, the more it will ache. It's the same with trying to manually breathe, you end up tight and feel like it's one hell of a chore to keep going. It's basically because we don't do it the right way and end up squeezing things more than normal hence tightness.

Beware you are now adding this to your previous symptoms to attempt to validate the obsession context. Like I said though, check them against anxiety and try to rationalise it being that other than what you fear.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandad. That must have been very upsetting for you all. There are others on here who's anxiety started due to witnessing a loved one dying from illness so people understand.

Get thinking about doing this for your grandad, be wouldn't want you to feel like this. Maybe therapy can help you get beyond some difficult memories and the feelings attached to them. I hope so.

Ljthompson10
23-11-16, 07:22
Twitching - dead common anxiety symptom. Hypnic Jerks, for instance. I've always found they are worse when anxiety is high.

Excess saliva - doesn't that happen to everyone when anxious?

Throat tightening - dead common anxiety symptom seen on the Symptoms board all the time.

Less muscular on left side - so you are right handed then? Read what I said about the bodybuilders, they spend many years changing to be as symmetrical as they can be.

Thinner one side - without taking measurements, you are going to make mistakes with what you see. How long do you think you've been like that? Would your parents, or any pictures, show you the same before as now? Plus you are still young and will be filling out for years yet, all of which is based on what you are doing to build your muscles. Which takes me onto another issue, you work out. So, you may be putting more emphasison your dominant side, something PTs work with people to correct and why they say ditch barbells for dumbbells. Doing much with a barbell? Chest presses, shoulder presses, biceps curls, etc?

---------- Post added at 05:08 ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 ----------

It's like Gary says, the more you try to consciously take over a subconscious process, the more it will ache. It's the same with trying to manually breathe, you end up tight and feel like it's one hell of a chore to keep going. It's basically because we don't do it the right way and end up squeezing things more than normal hence tightness.

Beware you are now adding this to your previous symptoms to attempt to validate the obsession context. Like I said though, check them against anxiety and try to rationalise it being that other than what you fear.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandad. That must have been very upsetting for you all. There are others on here who's anxiety started due to witnessing a loved one dying from illness so people understand.

Get thinking about doing this for your grandad, be wouldn't want you to feel like this. Maybe therapy can help you get beyond some difficult memories and the feelings attached to them. I hope so.
Thankyou man - it was very hard for me and my family because he was such a nice and positive guy. But I see what you are saying. I'm actually a little better today and even yesterday than I was on the day that I posted this ( 2 days ago ) because it's such a horrific illness and I saw the effect it had on my grandad (even though he lived 8-10 years with it, I convinced myself that I had it you see.

---------- Post added at 07:22 ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 ----------

Excess saliva is not a sign of ALS. It occurs when ALS is already in a far advanced stage and you're no longer able to swallow. At this point though, you would also not be able to walk or move most of your body anymore.

Everyone's non-dominant side is thinner. Mine sure is. My rings that fit on my left hand don't fit on my right hand, because I'm right handed. That side is more developed because you do more with it.

My throat feels tight a lot with anxiety. Again, not a symptom of ALS.

Muscle twitching is also a later symptom of ALS. I had this for over a year, and still have it on occasion. But it subsided for the most part. For us, it's anxiety.
For them, it's neurons dying and again they would probably not be able to move certain parts of their body.
As someone here said: you deteriorate fast with ALS. Since you've been experiencing this for a while, there's no chance in hell you have it.
Thankyou! I really appreciate that post reinforcing all of my symptoms. But when you say I have only been worrying about it for a while it's only been like 1-3 weeks??

Would it still have had an effect on me??

Gary A
23-11-16, 07:53
You're missing the point of the post. The symptoms you're experiencing are symptoms that come at advanced stages of ALS. If you were at an advanced stage, you'd be worrying about far more than these pretty mundane symptoms.

These symptoms would be a by-product of far worse symptoms. You've witnessed first hand ALS symptoms at their worst, you clearly aren't at that stage, therefore your current symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with ALS.

You need to try harder to stop cherry picking things that are going to keep you worried.

nhelen79
23-11-16, 11:42
I discovered this forum because HA sufferers would come posting on the cancer forums I was part of. I came to tell them to respect those that actually have the disease. I stayed around to help.

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa is 100%. Ever since I discovered this forum, it has helped me tremendously with my anxiety. I'm still dealing with my own health issues and scares, but I stay off googling and those forums thanks to the support I get here with the members.

Trust your doctor. It's super hard but they have your best interest. I don't trust my doctors but I'm working on that.

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 12:12
This is as clear a post as you'll get, please bookmark it and keep it in mind.

And put it in context of your other fears - it's only a couple of weeks since you were beside yourself about scizophrenia and brain tumours, which were equally baseless. Start thinking "here we go again..." when you get a new HA, and remembering the last time, and how it came to nothing. But I appreciate we're all on this forum because that's sometimes easier said than done.

Yep, it's always a good indicator when someone is moving from one illness to the next.

Imagine how incredibly unlikely people would be to suffer from all these things over such a short period? Some people rack up half a dozen deadly cancers in as many months and learning to recogniser this in the way you are saying is important, in fact it would greatly help the more we all say "whatever" to our anxieties as that's how our subconscious learns to stop wasting it's time triggering them.

Ljthompson10
23-11-16, 14:02
Fishmanpa is 100%. Ever since I discovered this forum, it has helped me tremendously with my anxiety. I'm still dealing with my own health issues and scares, but I stay off googling and those forums thanks to the support I get here with the members.

Trust your doctor. It's super hard but they have your best interest. I don't trust my doctors but I'm working on that.

You think I should see a doctor :(

---------- Post added at 14:02 ---------- Previous post was at 14:01 ----------

??????

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 14:07

??????

No, she meant trust doctors when they tell you it's not X that you fear and that it is your anxiety. Most people around this board are already pursuing their doctors about their worries and then allowing their anxiety to "what if" and all the usual Cognitive Distortions so they start to doubt their doctor's advice.

Seeing a GP about your anxiety on the other hand would good advice.

Colicab85
23-11-16, 14:08

??????

Where does it say "see a doctor"?

It says "trust your doctor" and obviously this means trust your doctors diagnosis of Anxiety.

But you knew that surely?

Gary A
23-11-16, 15:27

??????

Nobody suggested any such thing. Posts and posts of people telling you that you're absolutely fine is what you're getting here, stop trying to see things that aren't there.

Ljthompson10
23-11-16, 15:35
No, she meant trust doctors when they tell you it's not X that you fear and that it is your anxiety. Most people around this board are already pursuing their doctors about their worries and then allowing their anxiety to "what if" and all the usual Cognitive Distortions so they start to doubt their doctor's advice.

Seeing a GP about your anxiety on the other hand would good advice.

I already do therapy.
Today I have been having buzzing feelings in my left part of my upper back and it's horrible. Is the anything to be concerned about.
I don't want to look it up like I usually do in case it's another symptom of ALS:(

Ljthompson10
23-11-16, 15:58
Does your therapist know you spend so much time on health anxiety forums and Googling health sites?

Yes. And I can't tell you how much better I'm feeling. It's just these sensations I always notice

axolotl
23-11-16, 16:02
Yes. And I can't tell you how much better I'm feeling. It's just these sensations I always notice

Glad it's working, just surprised you're not being discouraged to dwell on it online.

Ljthompson10
23-11-16, 16:12
Glad it's working, just surprised you're not being discouraged to dwell on it online.

But just out of curiosity because I'm not searching it - is back buzzing ALS symptom?

Colicab85
23-11-16, 16:18
No, the symptoms of ALS are muscles that stop working.

Ljthompson10
23-11-16, 16:26
That's usually the first symptom...
??

axolotl
23-11-16, 16:30
That's usually the first symptom...
??

Have you listened to a single word anyone's typed? YOU. HAVE. NO. REASON. TO. THINK. YOU. HAVE. MOTOR. NEURON. DISEASE.

I refuse to believe the therapist knows you're coming onto this forum in the way you do and hasn't told you knock it off for the good of your own health.

Gary A
23-11-16, 16:47
But just out of curiosity because I'm not searching it - is back buzzing ALS symptom?

If you're asking that then you're as well searching it, aren't you?

Ljthompson10
23-11-16, 17:10
If you're asking that then you're as well searching it, aren't you?

What are you talking about ahah

ServerError
23-11-16, 17:22
What are you talking about ahah

His point is that you're engaged in the same behaviour whether you're searching your symptoms on Google or asking about them here.

Ljthompson10
23-11-16, 17:33
His point is that you're engaged in the same behaviour whether you're searching your symptoms on Google or asking about them here.

Ahah seriously guys....

I'm saying that I don't want to worry myself more

ServerError
23-11-16, 17:57
Ahah seriously guys....

I'm saying that I don't want to worry myself more

It's not always about worry. Either way, you're reassurance seeking, which is a pattern that will only keep you trapped.

Ljthompson10
23-11-16, 18:12
It's not always about worry. Either way, you're reassurance seeking, which is a pattern that will only keep you trapped.

Bloody hell. I'm saying how much better I'm feeling and without being rude everyone is spreading negativity. It's not like you guys haven't been worrying before.
Now for the last time.

I'm doing CTB
I'm feeling better
Please, all I was asking for was a little reassurance

Thankyou anyway:)

ServerError
23-11-16, 18:16
Bloody hell. I'm saying how much better I'm feeling and without being rude everyone is spreading negativity. It's not like you guys haven't been worrying before.
Now for the last time.

I'm doing CTB
I'm feeling better

I'm not being negative. Not at all. And it's great you're doing better. But I'm not going to reassure you about an illness you don't have that you've already had all the answers you need.

You might think it's negative. I assure you, this is the exact response you need. Don't kick back at what I'm saying. Think about it and take it on board.

Gary A
23-11-16, 18:27
Now for the last time.

I'm doing CTB
I'm feeling better

Reassurance isn't working, literally every post you put forth is nothing more than a fishing expedition for reassurance. None of it has even become close to working, as you're still asking questions that you've had answered repeatedly.

If we keep reassuring you all it does is keep your mind focused on this non-existent illness. If you're doing CBT, you should probably already know that seeking reassurance is a big no no.

Ljthompson10
23-11-16, 19:13
Reassurance isn't working, literally every post you put forth is nothing more than a fishing expedition for reassurance. None of it has even become close to working, as you're still asking questions that you've had answered repeatedly.

If we keep reassuring you all it does is keep your mind focused on this non-existent illness. If you're doing CBT, you should probably already know that seeking reassurance is a big no no.

Ok guys thanks.

Just wondering. When I touch the inside of my left arm it's quite sensitive and tingles when I press down it or flick it. It's like I'm touching a nerve.

I didn't want to start a new threat and annoy you but what is this and is it normal? It's quite sensitive and tingly

KatiePink
23-11-16, 19:16
I didn't want to start a new threat

I should hope not :roflmao:

Gary A
23-11-16, 19:18
Ok guys thanks.

Just wondering. When I touch the inside of my left arm it's quite sensitive and tingles when I press down it or flick it. It's like I'm touching a nerve.

I didn't want to start a new threat and annoy you but what is this and is it normal? It's quite sensitive and tingly

Reassurance seeking. Again.

Ljthompson10
23-11-16, 19:24
Reassurance seeking. Again.

It doesn't bother me. Just would like to know if it's normal. Please just tell me if it is. Let me worry about myself because I'm happy with how I'm feeling at the minute

Sparkling_Fairy
23-11-16, 19:37
I understand how you feel, I do. ALS was my first fear and it sent me into a huge anxiety spiral for 7 months, going from one thing to another. I had muscle twitches everywhere! Constant "perceived" numbness, random part of my body that would hurt, and I mean really hurt! And now over a year later, all of it is gone. And my doctor very clearly told me that all of it is caused by stress.

I am 100% sure you don't have ALS, because none of the symptoms you are describing are the first symptoms. They are always later symptoms.
But if you are genuinely that worried about it, just go to your doctor. They will tell you with certainty that it's all caused by stress.

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 23:13
It doesn't bother me. Just would like to know if it's normal. Please just tell me if it is. Let me worry about myself because I'm happy with how I'm feeling at the minute

But why ask? I've had blood on the toilet paper a few times this week, since I have HA elements to my anxiety - I couldn't care less. This is the first I've even mentioned it.

I think showing your therapist these threads is the best thing you could do. Gary has mentioned you applying a hook to the end of your posts where they ask again or shift to another symptom and you have bumped your threads before too. This shows reassurance-seeking behaviour and your therapist should spot it immediately. They need to provide you with CBT tools to switch to instead or their therapy isn't going to work as it should as reassurance in a cycle of anxiety is a reinforce. They need to work on reducing you doing this, it's not always easy to cut it down immediately.