PDA

View Full Version : I'm so scared of my test results coming through

CeeCeeCee
21-11-16, 22:21
I am waiting for my results of a dip test as I had a little bit of protein and of blood in my urine, also a cervical smear. I am so scared of the surgery ringing, I had a call today which was from an unknown number and I panicked, almost didn't answer it as I thought it was docs. It was a shop telling me something was there to be picked up. I just know I'm not going to be able to cope when they ring.

I have been slightly better at the weekend and thought I was getting better but today has been bad. I'm scared to go to bed too as I won't sleep. This is getting me down again. My husband says I'm over thinking but it's hard not to when the discomfort makes me think of what it might be.

Please someone slap me around the chops and remind me again that it's more likely to be an infection than something bad? Sorry if I'm a pain, but it's just horrible feeling like this again.

Emily101115
21-11-16, 22:31
I was like this when i was waiting for my results,I couldn't eat,think nor sleep.How long have you been waiting now?

I'm sure your absoultley fine,smears are to detect early cell changes that could have the potential to turn cancerous however if this can take years.You could have something as simple as a uti.

Instead of thinking of the worst try and think of all the simple things it could be first.All the stress and the worry will not be any good for you xx

nomorepanic
21-11-16, 22:35
The stress really isn't good for your health and I can guarantee (as much as I can) it will not be anything serious and all this worry would have been for nothing and just making you ill.

Your husband is right - please just try and calm down and not wind yourself up.

CeeCeeCee
21-11-16, 22:54
I was like this when i was waiting for my results,I couldn't eat,think nor sleep.How long have you been waiting now?

I'm sure your absoultley fine,smears are to detect early cell changes that could have the potential to turn cancerous however if this can take years.You could have something as simple as a uti.

Instead of thinking of the worst try and think of all the simple things it could be first.All the stress and the worry will not be any good for you xx

Thank you, you've reminded me of what the nurse said, they are not looking for C, they are looking for changes. At the time that did help me, however, today I am not doing the rational thing very well. :weep:

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

The stress really isn't good for your health and I can guarantee (as much as I can) it will not be anything serious and all this worry would have been for nothing and just making you ill.

Your husband is right - please just try and calm down and not wind yourself up.

You are right, I know this, I really do, at least a lot of the time, but it comes to get me when I have symptoms like this.I convinced myself it was an infection, it had to be, then today, no, it must be something bad.

I'm just scared, I sometimes hate my bloody body :-(

hopeful927
13-01-17, 21:38
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this. I have to go for a routine blood test on Monday. I do not have any problems, and am feeling fine. Just a routine one for my physical. Why do I get so anxious about having to wait for results. What can I do to let myself relax about it. Can you please help me? I am fearful that I will be stressed all weekend about this.
Any help would be fine. I googled what they test for and it does say that they can look for lymphoma or leukemia with blood tests. Please help my crazy mind relax.

Leah88
14-01-17, 07:56
You sound a lot like me. When I had a Pap smear and I had a missed call I alsmost fainted from anxiety ( all the blood rushed to my head and I almost blacked out) when I rang it back it was the blood bank asking for me to donate lol. Anyway I ended up asking the dr at my next appointment if it was clear and he said yes. When I went home I remembered there is another girl who goes to the clinic with the same name and I was convinced our results had been mixed up and hers were clear not mine. A part of me still worries about this but I don't want to ask about it as I'll sound like a knob.

GlassPinata
14-01-17, 11:26
I know the feeling. You probably have a UTI, and will get antibiotics. As for the smear... yeah, it sucks waiting for the results, but even if it's mildly abnormal (probably the worst-case scenario) it's an easy fix. Sometimes just repeat the smear in a few months to see if the abnormality clears on its own (they do, in the majority of cases), or else a minor office procedure to remove the abnormal cells. Most women have gotten an abnormal PAP at some point in their lives. But few women get cervical cancer. It is a rare disease, in developed countries.
Anyway, who is to say yours will be abnormal? Most likely it won't.
Best wishes.

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this. I have to go for a routine blood test on Monday. I do not have any problems, and am feeling fine. Just a routine one for my physical. Why do I get so anxious about having to wait for results. What can I do to let myself relax about it. Can you please help me? I am fearful that I will be stressed all weekend about this.
Any help would be fine. I googled what they test for and it does say that they can look for lymphoma or leukemia with blood tests. Please help my crazy mind relax.

"Routine bloodwork" is probably a CBC and maybe a liver enzyme test.
The CBC - complete blood count- can detect if you have an abnormal number of white blood cells. But this does not necessarily mean you have cancer. It could be caused by any infection.
My 4-year-old son was recently seen in the urgent care clinic for what turned out to be a virus, with a high fever. They did routine bloodwork. I was scared of the result also, but it turned out fine. It is always scary waiting for test results. And it is possible they will find something mildly abnormal in your bloodwork (they have in mine before). But that doesn't mean anything terrible is wrong, or that you even need treatment. They once found something abnormal in my "blood sedimentation level" (I think that's what they called it). But when I asked for an explanation, they said not to worry, it was probably because I was sick at the time, with a bad cold. The next time I had bloodwork (years later), everything was perfectly normal. Whatever was abnormal had apparently resolved itself.
You will be fine. Hang in there.

LF87
14-01-17, 11:40
I had my second abnormal smear in November showing mild changes, they asked me to come back in a year as a monitoring process basically, same as last year. Some of my friends have had severe cell changes, and had the cells removed. They're both fine and back to normal 3 yearly smears, and if mine change to moderate or worse, they'll remove those cells. It's actually a brilliant thing they do and one of the only cancers that is preventable as long as you get your check ups. I mean, I still absolutely sh*t myself when I got the abnormal results, but in hindsight it's not a big deal. Let us know how you get on but I'm sure they'll be normal anyway! X