PDA

View Full Version : DPDR and anxiety after consumption of marijuana.

viking111
22-11-16, 11:50
Hello!
Me again, yesterday I did a real mistake I should not have done and that I will never do again. So my friend invited me to smoke a joint and it all went bad for me. That was like my 3rd time and nothing so bad had never happened before. So after smoking a medium amount, I started freaking out and went into a bad panic attack and had a DPDR that is thousand times stronger than when I used to have depression. Afterwards it all went even worse to the point where I felt like my mind was not connected to my body and it was all weird to sum up. I took 1h nap and felt lot better afterwards. This is the second day but I am still feeling bad anxiety and DPDR. I believe this is due to my reaction to the weed.
What should I do to recover from this? Can it leave any permanent problems?

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

Also to add, 2 other people who smoked the same marijuana reported that they also had those weird freaky effects, however they didn't have any anxiety disorders like me so they didn't freak out and enjoyed the effect.

Kuatir
22-11-16, 12:25
As with all drugs... know your source, know your body. The drug has basically amplified your anxiety and your anxiety has remained after the drug's effect has passed.

Deal with it as you do with your anxiety/depression, because that is what it is.

viking111
22-11-16, 14:09
As with all drugs... know your source, know your body. The drug has basically amplified your anxiety and your anxiety has remained after the drug's effect has passed.

Deal with it as you do with your anxiety/depression, because that is what it is.

Thank you for the response.

MyNameIsTerry
22-11-16, 22:58
It's all known for this, Viking. It's even how some people's anxiety/panic disorders start. One time you may be fine, another something like this can happen.

Not permanent damage.

viking111
23-11-16, 16:05
It's all known for this, Viking. It's even how some people's anxiety/panic disorders start. One time you may be fine, another something like this can happen.

Not permanent damage.

Thanks again. I'll see what I can do a rest myself a bit. This thankfully isn't my first time so I kind of know how to deal with things like these.

viking111
24-11-16, 10:35
I have noticed that I am not really afraid of the symptom part of dpdr, just the tremendous anxiety I am experiencing right now. Like I realise that I need to let go of it, but how do I accept anxiety when it's so awful? Are there any tips on how to deal with it or lower it at least? I tend to feel less anxiety at evenings, but at mornings and school time it goes worse. Also thoughts about days before this happened makes me even more anxious.

Kuatir
24-11-16, 12:40
Anxiety being higher in the morning than at night is classic. You will tend to have higher levels of the stress hormone Cortisol in your system in the morning. Then usually, when you get home from work/school etc. you'll be in a less stressful situation.

It's a lot of work, but you need to find a way to accept it. This is different for everybody, but practicing mindfulness, breathing and muscle relaxation excercises, distraction techniques can all help to an extent. The thing is you need to work at them. I don't believe there is a quick fix.

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-16, 13:00
Anxiety being higher in the morning than at night is classic. You will tend to have higher levels of the stress hormone Cortisol in your system in the morning. Then usually, when you get home from work/school etc. you'll be in a less stressful situation.

It's a lot of work, but you need to find a way to accept it. This is different for everybody, but practicing mindfulness, breathing and muscle relaxation excercises, distraction techniques can all help to an extent. The thing is you need to work at them. I don't believe there is a quick fix.

That's how Cortisol works normally. Everyone experiences this, every day. But I often wonder how this spikes to greater levels for us in those normal cycles and why some people say their anxiety cycles are in reverse i. e. worst at night? I've never read enough to get to the bottom of that one. :shrug:

I agree on the healthy practices. I know Viking from talks in the OCD section and he has greatly improved his anxiety, and at such a young age I think he is an inspiration too, so hopefully doing what he does and any extra techniques/healthy practices and a few days to recover, will pull him out of an unexpected blip that can be a scary reminder of how we used to be.

Kuatir
24-11-16, 13:05
But I often wonder how this spikes to greater levels for us in those normal cycles and why some people say their anxiety cycles are in reverse i. e. worst at night? I've never read enough to get to the bottom of that one. :shrug:.

Yeah, I put it down to individual situations. That's a bit of a fence sitting opinion, but an example would be that somebody dwelling on a bad day at work and the coming day ahead is going to feel more stressed than somebody who has a had a great day and can switch off from work mode easily in the evening.

That's a pretty simple opinion. I couldn't begin to delve into the power of the mind and it's effects!

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-16, 14:38
Yeah, I put it down to individual situations. That's a bit of a fence sitting opinion, but an example would be that somebody dwelling on a bad day at work and the coming day ahead is going to feel more stressed than somebody who has a had a great day and can switch off from work mode easily in the evening.

That's a pretty simple opinion. I couldn't begin to delve into the power of the mind and it's effects!

Yes, I agree with you. It's completely obvious how worrying about sleeping leads to insomnia manifesting so it makes sense with this too.

It's often said that anxiety disorders raise the default level of fear. It would make sense to me that this is about chemistry and neuroscience. There must be a process that does this for it to become a new setting so maybe it ties in with learned behaviour but it must go beyond that into chemical stimulus but perhaps the same can be said for the adrenaline spikes we experience more regularly with our symptoms anyway?

It makes sense to me with adrenaline, I've just never read enough about Cortisol. I know it from my weightlifting days and how it spikes there but not from anxiety to this level.

viking111
24-11-16, 20:13
Just had a bad panic attack as I had been holding my emotions in for past 3 days. After releasing them, feeling lot calmer now. Is it better to accept the sadness and for example cry until it gets better or just pretend everything's ok? Because by pretending it got worse for me. I realise this is all anxiety but it is bad for me. Right now relaxing and watching a movie, feeling lot calmer yet still kinda anxious about what is going to happen next morning when my anxiety will be at peak.

Nina102
24-11-16, 22:09
I believe my first bad anxiety experience was due to marijuana.

I use to smoke it a couple of times a week, but I guess I just had a really bad trip and it ****ed me up for a few weeks. It didn't last that long though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had a couple of bad days/nights that I felt really "detached" but they didn't last long.

I did try a joint once or twice years after which didn't bother me, but I usually try to stay away from it now.

MyNameIsTerry
25-11-16, 07:05
I guess it depends. If you are bottling things up to avoid confronting your feelings, that is not good as it's better to accept things how they are, for now. If you are keeping things in to get through something with other people around then that's normal and again we accept how we feel at this time.

It's ok to release feelings, you aren't running away from them or pushing your thoughts away. But using it as a form of relief constantly can become a problem, not that I think you will go through that as this will be a blip for you.

Having a shock from a spike can mean a few days or more to allow your anxiety to reduce back. It will reduce, just keep relaxing yourself and don't berate yourself over the situation, it's just a lesson learned.

viking111
25-11-16, 11:36
Feeling better this morning. Didn't go to school today for obvious reasons. Will just watch some movies or do something to reduce my bad thoughts. Still feeling kind of distraught from yesterday's panic attack, but today anxiety has gone from full 100% to like 30%.
I am sure I'll be better in few days. Gonna have to go to countryside tomorrow for felling trees. I am sure that will reduce my anxiety even more due to being close to nature and doing things I like, unlike just living in the boring city all the time. Anyways, thanks for all the great tips.

viking111
26-11-16, 19:49
Didn't have a panic attack today, felt a little bit better, yet still kind of anxious, feeling not myself. I imagine all this is normal. Slowly beggining to take steps of recovery.

viking111
27-11-16, 18:23
Could anyone reccomend me anything to decrease the anxiety? Are anti depressants good for it?
I cannot seem to get rid of bad thoughts or ignore this feeling. Everytime I think about good things, I get panicky and remember the bad feelings. Only thing that helps is drinking a heavy herbal tea and watching a movie in evening.
How long would such bad symptoms last? And how do i shake them off if I cannot forget the bad feeling.

MyNameIsTerry
28-11-16, 04:52
Viking, is this just since the weed? Just above you said you had a slightly better day which shows it can improve.

If it's just since the weed, antidepressants wouldn't be the way in my opinion unless this situation doesn't change because these meds can take months to work and you sometimes have to experiment with dosages or switches to find one that does. If this current spikes is transient, the antidepressant route may add additional problems that you can do without.

Give it some time, it's been a bad spike. It could be days, it could be a rocky couple of weeks, it's individual to your current situation but antidepressants are more a long term solution. Keep doing normal things and whatever is helping you and it's likely you will just come through it. Relaxation work to keep your body calm, things that keep your mind busy or engaged without them being stressful, etc.

viking111
28-11-16, 13:08
Viking, is this just since the weed? Just above you said you had a slightly better day which shows it can improve.

If it's just since the weed, antidepressants wouldn't be the way in my opinion unless this situation doesn't change because these meds can take months to work and you sometimes have to experiment with dosages or switches to find one that does. If this current spikes is transient, the antidepressant route may add additional problems that you can do without.

Give it some time, it's been a bad spike. It could be days, it could be a rocky couple of weeks, it's individual to your current situation but antidepressants are more a long term solution. Keep doing normal things and whatever is helping you and it's likely you will just come through it. Relaxation work to keep your body calm, things that keep your mind busy or engaged without them being stressful, etc.
It is sometimes worse and sometimes better for me. What stressed me out is not the weird looking world but the intense feeling of being not myself. I know it is a symptom of anxiety, but this feeling is way stronger than i remeber it was last time I had dpdr.

---------- Post added at 13:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 ----------

I'll briefly tell my past experiences with anxiety.
My first panic attack happened when I was around 7 years old due to school experiences (My teacher was pretty bad and screamed almost all the time, sometimes even used physical force.).
Starting on from like 3rd grade, I started noticing OCD (Even though I didn't know what it was back then.).
I was constantly anxious about my family dying and I felt like I am feeling right now. At that time, I used to have heavy DPDR spikes, but they didn't last longer than 20 minutes.
After like 5th grade, I was completely fine and OCD did not bother me anymore really, up until end of 8th grade, when I had another anxiety attack. It started because of my aunt's weird condition. (When she gets stressed or in an argument with me, she kind of shifts into a different personality, like she appears to be happier for some reason and it is really weird.)
So I got stressed about it when it happened back then and started a whole rollercoaster of bad times. In one summer, I went trough spikes of depression, OCD and DPDR, but it all ended and left me with lots of self esteem and generaly being happier than before. I cannot imagine life before that as it feels unreal, like if I was born again after I defeated all my problems. But that didn't last long. Starting from January of this year, I started having another huge OCD spike that lasted like 2 months straight. After that it was alright.
That morning, I was pretty anxious before smoking, so the smoking part actually hightened my anxiety that I already had a little bit. The effect was so bad that I genueinly thought that I would die and that was the end.
After that, I took a nap and woke up still kind of high, and this high feeling has not disappeared ever since.
Today I am feeling lot better as I talked to my family about this, of course I did not tell them I smoked weed as that would stress them out into thinking I had fallen into somekinda actual incurable mental disorder.
I started drinking natural teas to calm my anxiety and listening to some classical music. I also had another sort of panic yesterday, however after it passed I am feeling like 50% better. Like I am not anxious anymore, just kind of sad and still in this weird DPDR feeling.