PDA

View Full Version : How can an opthalmogist be certain I dont have a brain tumour without an MRI?

Wilburis
22-11-16, 12:39
Hi

I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding my eyes turning outwards in photos.

Ive been to 4 opticians and last night to a private ophthalmologist.

They all say that I dont have a brain tumour as there is no intercranial pressure which would be seen on my optic nerve.

I do have a slight "turn" in both my eyes but I am able to control it and have normal binocular vision.

My question is how can they all be so certain without an MRI?

I have constant dizziness and now have had an ache behind my eyes for the last 3 days.

If there is anyone who is an optician, can you PM me as I have a stupid question to ask.

Thank you x

Gary A
22-11-16, 13:21
Hi

I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding my eyes turning outwards in photos.

Ive been to 4 opticians and last night to a private ophthalmologist.

They all say that I dont have a brain tumour as there is no intercranial pressure which would be seen on my optic nerve.

I do have a slight "turn" in both my eyes but I am able to control it and have normal binocular vision.

My question is how can they all be so certain without an MRI?

I have constant dizziness and now have had an ache behind my eyes for the last 3 days.

If there is anyone who is an optician, can you PM me as I have a stupid question to ask.

Thank you x

I'm not an optician but I feel I can answer this for you.

Brain tumours create increased intracranial pressure because the space within your rigid skull is of course, limited. When an extra mass such as a tumour is present, it creates this upsurge in pressure within the skull. This is where headaches arise from when associated with brain tumours.

The optic nerve is connected to the optic disk at the rear of your eye. Opticians and ophthalmologists can see this disc when looking into your eyes. Increased intracranial pressure would cause noticeable bulging and swelling of the optic discs of both eyes. This is known as papilledema.

If there is no raise in intracranial pressure, there is no extra mass within your rigid skull. It doesn't take much of an extra mass within the skull to create this raise in pressure and the subsequent effects on the optic discs.

You also state that you can control the turn in your eyes. This would not be the case if a tumour were present, as the turn would be caused by the tumour putting pressure on the occipital lobe. This would create constant symptoms that would be completely involuntary and outwith your control.

Kuatir
22-11-16, 13:23
Dizziness and aches can be caused by tension; caused by anxiety.

They can be certain because they know a tumour would have to be on the optic nerve to cause these symptoms. 5 experts have said it. Another one on an Internet forum is not going to give you the answer you are looking for.

Wilburis
22-11-16, 14:46
Thank you.

x

Gary A - wow! are you a doctor? You explain things very well! xx