PDA

View Full Version : TRIGGERS

helenhoo
22-11-16, 13:40
So today through no fault of my own i have discussed schiz, skin cancers and brain tumours. A family friend was round and somehow some reason discussing people he had known who had died of these diseases (bar the schiz; he himself had schizophrenia.

Skin cancer: worry about the new normal freckle.
Schiz: havent been worried about for a good few weeks but had a moment of worrying yesterday when i was thinking about a character from a tv show (wasn't purposely doing this)
And BT is always in the background of worries.

Gary A
22-11-16, 14:09
So....the question is?

ServerError
22-11-16, 14:17
I would recommend seeking treatment for your anxiety disorder.

helenhoo
22-11-16, 14:27
I guess i still worry im schiz,

Gary A
22-11-16, 14:28
Well you aren't.

helenhoo
22-11-16, 15:34
Now think i have phantom smells because mobody else can smell the builders next door (in an apartment block)
Can't smell it when cover nose with jumper or hand or when leave room.
Sigh.

Colicab85
22-11-16, 15:41
If you can't smell it when you cover your nose then it isnt a phantom smell, its obviously a smell that is in the atmosphere.

SLA
22-11-16, 15:55
What do you do with your time when you are not worrying?

Josh1234
22-11-16, 15:57
Are you on medication? If not, you dont realize how badly you need it?

helenhoo
22-11-16, 16:15
I don't need meds

ServerError
22-11-16, 16:32
I don't need meds

What do you need then?

Josh1234
22-11-16, 17:50
I don't need meds

Then suffer. :shrug:

pulisa
22-11-16, 18:07
When is your sister's wedding, Helen? You must be going back to SK soon I expect?

Gary A
22-11-16, 18:49
Now think i have phantom smells because mobody else can smell the builders next door (in an apartment block)
Can't smell it when cover nose with jumper or hand or when leave room.
Sigh.

How many times do you need to be told that that simply isn't a phantom smell? I'm beginning to think you just can't go without the attention, I really am.

helenhoo
22-11-16, 18:50
Jus picked up my can of pop and forgot i had already opened it.

brucealmighty
22-11-16, 19:14
I can sense, ooh, 16 pages out of this one. unless of course the thread gets locked by admin, or we get a collective telling off for answering / being annoyed / mentioning trolls.

please find something else to do with your time helen / reb / whoever you really are. It is downright cruel to engage people with mental health issues over such towering fears as forgetting you`d opened a can of pop, leaving a skidmark on your pants, or smelling smoke when someones been smoking

I found this little nugget during my research, and regardless of what comes back to me I am saying that helen is ACTING in a troll-like manner and exhibiting all the behaviours of a troll :-

`what one can expect when confronting a troll:

1.All your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored.
2.Anything you say can and will be used against you.
3.Anything you say can be turned into something else – fixed.
4.Do not argue with trolls – it means that they win.
5.The harder you try the harder you will fail.`

anyway. no point trying. no point posting this. none whatsoever. its just the faint glimmer of hope that one day shame, decency or something will finally land on you and make you realise just how much damage you`re doing.

Gary A
22-11-16, 19:56
It's time for admin to do something about this nonsense, it really is.

Josh1234
22-11-16, 23:20
she one time said she got drunk, attacked her boyfriend, and then had anxiety that she had a brain tumor, cause it meant she had a "personality change."

Her saying "I dont need meds" literally just proves to me that she isnt serious on here. On another forum, we outed someone who was lying about having diseases. Time to get rid of this poster.

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 00:33
she one time said she got drunk, attacked her boyfriend, and then had anxiety that she had a brain tumor, cause it meant she had a "personality change."

Her saying "I dont need meds" literally just proves to me that she isnt serious on here. On another forum, we outed someone who was lying about having diseases. Time to get rid of this poster.

Not everyone likes taking meds. Maybe the culture in the US differs to over here?

As for "getting rid" of another member based on unproven hunches, I hope NMP continue not to give into this sort of behaviour. This wouldn't be tolerated at the walk-in groups I used to go to and I just can't understand why people can't do what Admin repeatedly tell them to.

:wall:

---------- Post added 23-11-16 at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was 22-11-16 at 23:47 ----------

I can sense, ooh, 16 pages out of this one. unless of course the thread gets locked by admin, or we get a collective telling off for answering / being annoyed / mentioning trolls.

please find something else to do with your time helen / reb / whoever you really are. It is downright cruel to engage people with mental health issues over such towering fears as forgetting you`d opened a can of pop, leaving a skidmark on your pants, or smelling smoke when someones been smoking

I found this little nugget during my research, and regardless of what comes back to me I am saying that helen is ACTING in a troll-like manner and exhibiting all the behaviours of a troll :-

`what one can expect when confronting a troll:

1.All your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored.
2.Anything you say can and will be used against you.
3.Anything you say can be turned into something else – fixed.
4.Do not argue with trolls – it means that they win.
5.The harder you try the harder you will fail.`

anyway. no point trying. no point posting this. none whatsoever. its just the faint glimmer of hope that one day shame, decency or something will finally land on you and make you realise just how much damage you`re doing.

Bruce,

You would be surprised what we talk about on the OCD board. Much of what she has talked about has been discussed before. I realise you probably won't accept this.

It's not damaging and it's not disrespectful to other sufferers. If such subjects are, the OCD needs to go. That's not thinking about some of the things on Symptoms that could be seen as trivial to some. What about the impossible contamination threads on this board?

kerryann
23-11-16, 08:19
Unfortunately Helens posts are so ridiculous that it is hard to believe she is not on the wind up. I am afraid I agree with Brucealmighty in that she is not 100%. "I just picked up a can of pop and forgot I had already opened it" I mean come on!!! "I walked past someone smoking and I could smell smoke" again come on!!! ETC ETC. Yawn Yawn

Gary A
23-11-16, 08:49
This thing about her displaying OCD tendencies is all well and good, but where is the treatment? Where is the visits to people who can help? Where is the acknowledgement that she has OCD and must try to act in order to help herself?

She wants to talk about every illness but the one she actually has. She point blank refuses to do anything about this. Surely we can't just keep saying "well it's OCD so just carry on." What is the point of this board and indeed this website if people are allowed to comfortably wallow in this type of misery?

Gary A
23-11-16, 08:57
Can I also point out that people "not liking" the idea of medication is simply irrelevent to whether or not the person needs medication. I'm fairly certain that in any other type of illness, if medication was required then barely anyone would say "they might not like medication, so it's understandable why they aren't taking it."

Anxiety and OCD are illnesses, we keep being told that they are conditions that are just as debilitating as many physical illnesses, yet somehow treatment for these conditions are allowed to be neglected on the basis of "I don't really like the idea of medication."

I find that completely baffling.

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 12:06
Can I also point out that people "not liking" the idea of medication is simply irrelevent to whether or not the person needs medication. I'm fairly certain that in any other type of illness, if medication was required then barely anyone would say "they might not like medication, so it's understandable why they aren't taking it."

Anxiety and OCD are illnesses, we keep being told that they are conditions that are just as debilitating as many physical illnesses, yet somehow treatment for these conditions are allowed to be neglected on the basis of "I don't really like the idea of medication."

Whilst I agree with you that there should be the same thinking as with physical conditions, we can't deny there stigma exists around these meds.

NICE and the NHS are firm on it being about patient choice and their treatment of anxiety disorders also includes different streams for meds or non meds treatment anyway since therapy can achieve the same as some meds, as proven through medical studies.

I think it's wrong to make such a generalisation anyway, doctors choose non drug options to treat many things.

---------- Post added at 11:58 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Unfortunately Helens posts are so ridiculous that it is hard to believe she is not on the wind up. I am afraid I agree with Brucealmighty in that she is not 100%. "I just picked up a can of pop and forgot I had already opened it" I mean come on!!! "I walked past someone smoking and I could smell smoke" again come on!!! ETC ETC. Yawn Yawn

Then you surely think I'm fake and a troll too?

Actually, you're saying quite a few of us on here with OCD are too. I've seen a lot of what she has said by multiple members on here. I think you are turning quite a blind eye to many threads around here including on this very board. Why can't you see that? :shrug:

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

This thing about her displaying OCD tendencies is all well and good, but where is the treatment? Where is the visits to people who can help? Where is the acknowledgement that she has OCD and must try to act in order to help herself?

She wants to talk about every illness but the one she actually has. She point blank refuses to do anything about this. Surely we can't just keep saying "well it's OCD so just carry on." What is the point of this board and indeed this website if people are allowed to comfortably wallow in this type of misery?

I can think of other members around here who are stuck in worry and are not moving forward with treatment. The only difference with some is that they post occasionally. Some of them have been posting for years.

All we can do is try to encourage them towards it, surely?

I know from my own experience that I get stuck in big ruts and have had many times where I've just stopped and the day to day OCD cycles have ruled my life for months at a time. But I don't have a reassurance-seeking cycle and so you will never now what's going on in my life unless I choose to talk about it. I still know what I need to do but doing it is the problem so I just hope she has that mindset because my first year post relapse, when the meds caused my OCD, was a nightmare I felt I couldn't escapefrom and my thinking was much different. Personally I don't see a level of severity here like those who've been like that so I'm hoping she can see what she needs to do.

swajj
23-11-16, 12:13
I agree. You don't need yet. But you do need to see a professional because it is just going to get worse. And if that professional thinks you need meds in addition to counselling then you should probably consider it.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

that was supposed to say you don't need meds yet

kerryann
23-11-16, 12:27
in response to Axolotl's comment about me , I don't post much about myself I tend to lurk in the background and read similar posts that mention things that I'm worried about, and they have given me great comfort at times when I have needed it. I don't know much if anything about OCD and if my dismissal of Helens posts come across as rudeness then I am sorry but the constant disregard of peoples reply's and the at one stage almost daily postings of what seem like to my uneducated mind ridiculous scenarios meant that I felt compelled to have my two pence worth.

swajj
23-11-16, 12:32

So my psychiatrist (who I don't need to see anymore) once told me that I might need to go on meds. I asked him what the drawback was and he said that it would mask the problem (the health anxiety) and the meds wouldn't "cure" the health anxiety because only I could do that. Whilst the meds would help in the short term it would take longer to overcome the health anxiety. I chose not to take the meds and there are legitimate reasons why people do. There are also legitimate reasons why they choose to take the meds. For me, if you are just relying on the meds to get you through then you are taking them for the wrong reason. However, if you are taking the meds in addition to receiving counselling, and with a plan to cease taking the meds once you recover, then the meds can be useful.

ServerError
23-11-16, 12:32
Without wishing to get involved in a 30+ page debate about this poster and the nature of how we treat each other, I strongly feel that any post that directly responds to Helen's "worries" are now redundant and unhelpful. If people are going to post in her threads, all we should do at this point is direct her towards treatment for her condition, regardless of whether she's in Derby or Korea or Raqqa.

This is the only way she might actually improve. Understanding and sympathy are great and if humanity at large had more of it, maybe there'd be fewer anxiety sufferers. But it doesn't help this girl. I'm aware she completely ignores posts pointing her in the direction of therapy, so you could argue they don't help either. But if they were the only responses she got, at least we'd no longer be feeding and indirectly validating her worries.

Her only way out of this is through therapy and her own internal motivation. We should encourage this, and only this.

SLA
23-11-16, 12:33
Ultimately, as long as people aren't being offensive towards others and they are within the forum rules, aren't they free to post what they want?

It is our choice whether we read and respond.

The only reason I post this, is that I have found myself exasperated by some posts on here lately, and it has made me feel the need to take a break.

However, my exasperation is entirely my problem, my fault, and nothing to do with anyone here.

swajj
23-11-16, 12:55
Reminds me of crazymum who was around last time I was a regular here.

yeah yeah I know, we aren't supposed to think like that.

but just saying :shades:

ServerError
23-11-16, 13:04
Reminds me of crazymum who was around last time I was a regular here.

yeah yeah I know, we aren't supposed to think like that.

but just saying :shades:

What was the deal with crazymum? Sorry, I have a curious nature.

swajj
23-11-16, 13:12
Her posts (and there were many) sounded like Helen's. At first everyone was really patient and tried to be comforting and give advice. After about the 100th illness people started to get annoyed because she never responded to any advice. Then people got cranky with the people who got annoyed.

You had to be there. :noangel:

Gary A
23-11-16, 13:22
[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1616896]Whilst I agree with you that there should be the same thinking as with physical conditions, we can't deny there stigma exists around these meds.

NICE and the NHS are firm on it being about patient choice and their treatment of anxiety disorders also includes different streams for meds or non meds treatment anyway since therapy can achieve the same as some meds, as proven through medical studies.

[\QUOTE]

Medication would help, as would therapy, a combination of both may be more effective. That's the thing though, they would help. Discussing them here would help. Going over the options with a trained professional would help. As ever though, anything that would help is ignored and hand waved away, and instantly replaced with yet another request for reassurance from some utterly bizzare train of thought.

People talk about frustration in this scenario and I must say this is where mine arises from. The sheer and absolute effort put into ignoring calls to seek psychiatric help, or indeed to brush past any and all discussion about the actual problem of anxiety or OCD.

No doubt OCD is real, no doubt it's debilitating and very tough to deal with, but it still must be dealt with, surely. Are none of her family encouraging this? Is her partner not frog marching her in to the nearest surgery to be evaluated, diagnosed and appropriately treated? Why the hell not?

Advise her on maybe needing meds? Nope, don't need them. See your GP about therapy? Can't, going to South Korea or wherever. What are you doing to tackle your anxiety? I'm doing better, but anyway, back to my symptoms.

There's always an excuse, there's always a reason not to deal with the problem. There's always a throwaway explanation and a quick revert back to bloody smells or skidmarks or inexplicably opened soda cans.

Reassurance seeking is a cycle of OCD, is ignorance and excuse making also a cycle of it? Surely if reassurance seeking in this scenario was based on OCD, the OP would be breaking down the door of her nearest GP surgery on a daily basis? Quite the opposite, she seems to absolutely go out of her way to avoid that. For me that doesn't really add up.

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 13:50
Her posts (and there were many) sounded like Helen's. At first everyone was really patient and tried to be comforting and give advice. After about the 100th illness people started to get annoyed because she never responded to any advice. Then people got cranky with the people who got annoyed.

You had to be there. :noangel:

I'm going to use that as a positive today, despite everything we all still talk to each other! :yesyes:

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

in response to Axolotl's comment about me , I don't post much about myself I tend to lurk in the background and read similar posts that mention things that I'm worried about, and they have given me great comfort at times when I have needed it. I don't know much if anything about OCD and if my dismissal of Helens posts come across as rudeness then I am sorry but the constant disregard of peoples reply's and the at one stage almost daily postings of what seem like to my uneducated mind ridiculous scenarios meant that I felt compelled to have my two pence worth.

I see where you are coming from and I respect your truthfulness about why.

I started off with GAD and when the OCD came I had no idea about it. I had the typical view that OCD was what I had seen in the media. Reading about it being nothing like that, and finding that year of worrying I was going crazy about such strange thoughts & compulsions, helped me come to terms with a lot of it. It took the sting out and started me thinking it was just like my GAD, a problem to tackle. I wish I had spoken to other sufferers back then, they would have told me how things are.

Like all anxiety disorders, I think we will always be learning in some way.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1616896]Whilst I agree with you that there should be the same thinking as with physical conditions, we can't deny there stigma exists around these meds.

[\QUOTE]

Medication would help, as would therapy, a combination of both may be more effective. That's the thing though, they would help. Discussing them here would help. Going over the options with a trained professional would help. As ever though, anything that would help is ignored and hand waved away, and instantly replaced with yet another request for reassurance from some utterly bizzare train of thought.

People talk about frustration in this scenario and I must say this is where mine arises from. The sheer and absolute effort put into ignoring calls to seek psychiatric help, or indeed to brush past any and all discussion about the actual problem of anxiety or OCD.

No doubt OCD is real, no doubt it's debilitating and very tough to deal with, but it still must be dealt with, surely. Are none of her family encouraging this? Is her partner not frog marching her in to the nearest surgery to be evaluated, diagnosed and appropriately treated? Why the hell not?

Advise her on maybe needing meds? Nope, don't need them. See your GP about therapy? Can't, going to South Korea or wherever. What are you doing to tackle your anxiety? I'm doing better, but anyway, back to my symptoms.

There's always an excuse, there's always a reason not to deal with the problem. There's always a throwaway explanation and a quick revert back to bloody smells or skidmarks or inexplicably opened soda cans.

Reassurance seeking is a cycle of OCD, is ignorance and excuse making also a cycle of it? Surely if reassurance seeking in this scenario was based on OCD, the OP would be breaking down the door of her nearest GP surgery on a daily basis? Quite the opposite, she seems to absolutely go out of her way to avoid that. For me that doesn't really add up.

Some people are more scared of seeing a doctor because it may confirm their fears. We have people on here who admit to not taking action for that reason. I don't see Reb in that category, she used to go to the walk-in clinics whereas the people I'm talking about are resisting it due to greater fear then their fears of illness.

All anxiety disorders are tough, I don't view OCD any tougher than the rest. I think it's one you need to read more about as some of it can appear to mimic more serious mental problems e.g. violent thoughts, sexual thoughts, paedophilia, etc because otherwise you would never think it could be a known OCD issue. The same with things like Magical Thinking which may make you wonder if you are losing your mind as it's out there in the most irrational of OCD themes.

Medication and/or therapy have the ability to help, neither are a given and fail many people for many reasons including the NHS not doing enough for us. But they are an option and if a doctor recommends it, I've always gone with that. I've learnt later that this is not always the best policy as many doctors have as much a clue about the meds as your postman may have. Sadly, meds are a minefield but whilst my experiences have been mixed to bad on them, I'm still very open to them. Some people are terrified of the meds, something I understand as my last one caused me the worst years of my life (with my GP telling me it wasn't the med, yet be failed to realise I had greatly worsened from the week I started it), but I still think it's worth trying if you don't feel you can do it alone. My GP never gave me options, he reached for his prescription pad and ignored all guidelines about anxiety treatment. Many people feel this is wrong, common generics are dirt cheap and easily access which brings in an issue about doctors trying to get us out of the surgery, but then therapy is hard to access by comparison.

SK scuppers most things. I knew minute she said she was going in two months she wouldn't get help, it's just not available. Meds can take months of adjustment and feeling worse and that may scupper the move. The only possibles seemed online therapy but it has to come from her to sort it out.

I agree, her family need to resolve this. But not everyone thinks as we do, it depends on what they are like and it may cause rifts if she doesn't do something as patience goes. Ideally get her BF reading what we are saying, at least be could get her to something.

There's plenty I agree with you here.

ServerError
23-11-16, 14:04
There's a lot of ifs and buts regarding this poster. I'm not sure there's any point going too deeply into her situation. She seems to me to live relatively well with her condition, with the occasional attack if irrational worry.

There's a limit to what we can do for her, especially given how much advice she's already had. As you say, it has to come from her. I just really feel that we have to stop acknowledging her specific fears. Any response to them serves only to validate them. We aren't therapists, which means we have no professional expertise to bring to bear when telling her why she doesn't have this or that illness.

Therapy and medication may well be hit and miss, but they are the cornerstone of mental health treatment. If she isn't able to access them, the best we can do is encourage her to challenge her thought patterns.

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 14:12
There's a lot of ifs and buts regarding this poster. I'm not sure there's any point going too deeply into her situation. She seems to me to live relatively well with her condition, with the occasional attack if irrational worry.

There's a limit to what we can do for her, especially given how much advice she's already had. As you say, it has to come from her. I just really feel that we have to stop acknowledging her specific fears. Any response to them serves only to validate them. We aren't therapists, which means we have no professional expertise to bring to bear when telling her why she doesn't have this or that illness.

Therapy and medication may well be hit and miss, but they are the cornerstone of mental health treatment. If she isn't able to access them, the best we can do is encourage her to challenge her thought patterns.

And neither would a therapist when it came to possible medical conditions because one mistake would potentially cost them their career. For the same reasons, they won't offer much advice on meds either, they are not qualified. They tell you to speak to your GP. It must be tricky for them to treat HA in this respect, how did yours work on that element?

I agree with you.

helenhoo
23-11-16, 14:49
I dont know if you remmeber me telling you i called uptalking talking therapies and they said i seemed ok. Not exact words obviously but said i didnt need CBT just self home from websites and she sent me a leaflet.

So, i dont ignore advice..
Sever got it one, i live well without occasional bout of irrational worry.

ServerError
23-11-16, 14:54
And neither would a therapist when it came to possible medical conditions because one mistake would potentially cost them their career. For the same reasons, they won't offer much advice on meds either, they are not qualified. They tell you to speak to your GP. It must be tricky for them to treat HA in this respect, how did yours work on that element?

I agree with you.

I didn't mean to sound like I was suggesting therapists are experts in medication. The point to take from my post is that we've probably reached the limit of what we can do for Helen, and therapists/GPs are the best course of action available (trip to South Korea not withstanding).

To answer your question, I didn't talk much about meds with my therapist. To the extent that we did, he just talked to me about the best ways to make progress while on them and helped me with techniques to manage the side effects I was having at the time. I would say he got it about right and I was lucky in that sense.

Gary A
23-11-16, 15:25
I dont know if you remmeber me telling you i called uptalking talking therapies and they said i seemed ok. Not exact words obviously but said i didnt need CBT just self home from websites and she sent me a leaflet.

So, i dont ignore advice..
Sever got it one, i live well without occasional bout of irrational worry.

Your post history, language and frequency suggest otherwise. So either you're not being honest with us or you're not being honest with your therapist.

Which is it?

helenhoo
23-11-16, 15:27
I dont have therapist because she didnt think i needed to go further than the telephone assessment mentioned above.

Gary A
23-11-16, 15:31
I dont have therapist because she didnt think i needed to go further than the telephone assessment mentioned above.

I don't believe you've told this person the extent of your anxiety, in that case. A bat with Ray-Bans on in an eclipse could see that you need further assessment and diagnosis.

I think you need to see someone face to face about this and stop messing about, frankly. You seem to be suggesting that your anxiety is quite under control, yet you openly admit to freaking out at things like smells and open soda cans.

You will do yourself no favours by lying to yourself.

KeeKee
23-11-16, 15:34

[\QUOTE]

I would say medication and therapy could work, but not necessarily would. I took antidepressants for just under 6 years. I have enough experience to know they aren't for me. On them, I'm basically an emotionless slob who needs around 12 hours sleep per day, they also cause weight gain in many people. Off them, yes I feel really depressed (due to life circumstances), but I require only 8 or so hours sleep per day, I find things funny, I can get ready on a morning (although it's still a struggle), I don't need to nap daily, I have a sex drive (sorry if tmi), I'm basically a human being again. It's also disputable, but I strongly believe ssris caused my anxiety. There is absolutely no way I'd take them again, even if I was paid a monthly income to take them.

Therapy well, there's absolutely no harm in trying therapy in my opinion, but medication can have a negative impact on you, which is why I feel it's a very personal decision that nobody should judge you on whether you take them or not (I know you aren't judging).

Josh1234
23-11-16, 15:36
Not everyone likes taking meds. Maybe the culture in the US differs to over here?

As for "getting rid" of another member based on unproven hunches, I hope NMP continue not to give into this sort of behaviour. This wouldn't be tolerated at the walk-in groups I used to go to and I just can't understand why people can't do what Admin repeatedly tell them to.

:wall:

---------- Post added 23-11-16 at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was 22-11-16 at 23:47 ----------

Bruce,

You would be surprised what we talk about on the OCD board. Much of what she has talked about has been discussed before. I realise you probably won't accept this.

It's not damaging and it's not disrespectful to other sufferers. If such subjects are, the OCD needs to go. That's not thinking about some of the things on Symptoms that could be seen as trivial to some. What about the impossible contamination threads on this board?

And I dont like eating vegetables, exercising, showering in the winter, or going to work, but guess what? I suck it up and do those things because its what is best for me. Science is science - its no different in America than it is in the UK, so don't even start that non-sense. The premier treatment for anxiety disorders is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with an SSRI. If she is serious, she will do both. But maybe not, as long as she has people like you enabling and coddling her.

And it was no hunch, we found the person's facebook - pictures of them playing sports, drinking etc, when they claimed they had ALS. You really need to stop policing this forum. I dont know how many times I need to tell you I don't give a shit about your opinion. I'd sooner listen to my dog talk than you.

Gary A
23-11-16, 15:39
[QUOTE=Gary A;1616940]

I would say medication and therapy could work, but not necessarily would. I took antidepressants for just under 6 years. I have enough experience to know they aren't for me. On them, I'm basically an emotionless slob who needs around 12 hours sleep per day, they also cause weight gain in many people. Off them, yes I feel really depressed (due to life circumstances), but I require only 8 or so hours sleep per day, I find things funny, I can get ready on a morning (although it's still a struggle), I don't need to nap daily, I have a sex drive (sorry if tmi), I'm basically a human being again. It's also disputable, but I strongly believe ssris caused my anxiety. There is absolutely no way I'd take them again, even if I was paid a monthly income to take them.

Therapy well, there's absolutely no harm in trying therapy in my opinion, but medication can have a negative impact on you, which is why I feel it's a very personal decision that nobody should judge you on whether you take them or not (I know you aren't judging).

The point I'm trying to make is that she needs to help herself by trying to treat her anxiety. Medication is one way to go, there are others of course. The point is, try something, anything, and quit going around in this never ending circle of pointless questioning.

I don't believe the OP is interested in even putting herself in a position to make that choice. There seems to be a desire to avoid that at all costs and just continue with this ridiculous charade.

KeeKee
23-11-16, 15:43
[QUOTE=KeeKee;1616993]

The point I'm trying to make is that she needs to help herself by trying to treat her anxiety. Medication is one way to go, there are others of course. The point is, try something, anything, and quit going around in this never ending circle of pointless questioning.

I don't believe the OP is interested in even putting herself in a position to make that choice. There seems to be a desire to avoid that at all costs and just continue with this ridiculous charade.

I'm not disagreeing with you as a whole. But you said medication 'would' work when that isn't necessarily true.

I agree she needs to do something, I also think it's daft she's been refused face to face therapy when my CBT therapist informed me you can even get CBT for dog phobias. Surely life afflicting mental health disorders should be prioritised over dog phobias (although I'm sure dog phobias can be debilitating too).

ServerError
23-11-16, 15:44
[QUOTE=Gary A;1616940]

This is one of the main (or rather, few) issues I have with the forum. We're all just anxiety sufferers with our own experiences than tend to colour our responses and opinions. What you went through with meds is not uncommon. On the other hand, I rebounded really quickly once my SSRI kicked in. So whose experience is more valid and whose advice is more useful? Answer: they're both equally relevant, but also create a dichotomy for anyone considering medication.

When it comes to meds, I feel that it's fine to take advice from here and to take on board people's experiences, but the decision to take them should really be based on consultation with medical professionals. Of course, the flaw there is that they do tend to throw them at you rather easily, and I do acknowledge that.

Gary A
23-11-16, 15:45
[QUOTE=Gary A;1616997]

I'm not disagreeing with you as a whole. But you said medication 'would' work when that isn't necessarily true.

I agree she needs to do something, I also think it's daft she's been refused face to face therapy when my CBT therapist informed me you can even get CBT for dog phobias. Surely life afflicting

Fair enough, I should have been clearer and said that it would at least show she's serious about tackling her anxiety.

KeeKee
23-11-16, 15:48
And I dont like eating vegetables, exercising, showering in the winter, or going to work, but guess what? I suck it up and do those things because its what is best for me. Science is science - its no different in America than it is in the UK, so don't even start that non-sense. The premier treatment for anxiety disorders is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with an SSRI. If she is serious, she will do both. But maybe not, as long as she has people like you enabling and coddling her.

And it was no hunch, we found the person's facebook - pictures of them playing sports, drinking etc, when they claimed they had ALS. You really need to stop policing this forum. I dont know how many times I need to tell you I don't give a shit about your opinion. I'd sooner listen to my dog talk than you.

Why would she need to do both to prove she is serious? I did CBT both with and without meds and the outcome was exactly the same both times. Completely ineffective. Both times I was 'serious'.

Gary A
23-11-16, 15:48

Is it odd that I read this post and the bit that stood out for me was that you don't like showering in the winter?

KeeKee
23-11-16, 15:55
[QUOTE=KeeKee;1616993]

This is one of the main (or rather, few) issues I have with the forum. We're all just anxiety sufferers with our own experiences than tend to colour our responses and opinions. What you went through with meds is not uncommon. On the other hand, I rebounded really quickly once my SSRI kicked in. So whose experience is more valid and whose advice is more useful? Answer: they're both equally relevant, but also create a dichotomy for anyone considering medication.

When it comes to meds, I feel that it's fine to take advice from here and to take on board people's experiences, but the decision to take them should really be based on consultation with medical professionals. Of course, the flaw there is that they do tend to throw them at you rather easily, and I do acknowledge that.

It's not the recommending of medication I take issue with, it's the implying that you aren't taking things seriously or attempting to help yourself that really gets to me. By all means recommend them, state your experiences etc, I am only doing the same and I also believe I have never tried to steer anybody from medication, so I'm puzzled with what it is you take issue with, my comment? My experience? I'm merely stating my own experience. I would never comment on a positive medication experience with 'this is one of the issues I have with this forum', simply because I disagree.

If I have taken you comment the wrong way (which I'm sure wouldn't be the first time I've done so) then apologies in advance.

SLA
23-11-16, 16:02
The broken quotes are making me :scared10::scared11::madness:

ServerError
23-11-16, 16:11
KeeKee - with the quotes being broken, I won't quote you. But to just to say, I had no objection to your post. I was pointing out the big difference between experiences and the problem of trying to make sense of it all by relying on the forum.

KeeKee
23-11-16, 16:13
KeeKee - with the quotes being broken, I won't quote you. But to just to say, I had no objection to your post. I was pointing out the big difference between experiences and the problem of trying to make sense of it all by relying on the forum.

Ah I see and yes I agree.

Shazamataz
23-11-16, 20:14
Why can't people just ignore Helen's posts if they are so annoying????!!!! Instead of these endless debates and arguments??!! Maybe this is exactly what she is trying to create?

helenhoo
23-11-16, 21:06
I'm done with this forum. Thanks to everyone for their genuine comments and in particular Terry whi gets a lot of slack fighting my corner when he shouldnt have to.

SLA
23-11-16, 22:07
Terry is awesome.

Again, with regards to my earlier post.

If you feel like you have to go, that is your problem. And I mean that nicely, despite it sounding weird.

What people post and read and how THEY react is THEIR problem.

So if people have issues with your posts that is THEIR problem. If you feel like you are done, that is YOUR PROBLEM. Hope that makes sense.

helenhoo
23-11-16, 22:59
Thanks SLA, i wish you well.

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 23:19
I didn't mean to sound like I was suggesting therapists are experts in medication. The point to take from my post is that we've probably reached the limit of what we can do for Helen, and therapists/GPs are the best course of action available (trip to South Korea not withstanding).

To answer your question, I didn't talk much about meds with my therapist. To the extent that we did, he just talked to me about the best ways to make progress while on them and helped me with techniques to manage the side effects I was having at the time. I would say he got it about right and I was lucky in that sense.

I meant how did your therapist deal with concerns over health issues? If they are IAPT, they are very likely to have backgrounds outside of being a doctor so won't want to take chances but with HA people that's not a good thing either as it's another cycle reinforce if they keep passing someone to their GP.

ServerError
23-11-16, 23:24
I meant how did your therapist deal with concerns over health issues? If they are IAPT, they are very likely to have backgrounds outside of being a doctor so won't want to take chances but with HA people that's not a good thing either as it's another cycle reinforce if they keep passing someone to their GP.

It's a sign of my own progress that I don't even properly remember. I've had health fears, but it's never been the central theme of my anxiety.

A lot of my CBT was helping me deal with my symptoms as they were at the time, especially the panic attacks and derealisation. It was pretty successful. I appreciate I had the bare minimum as is standard when you first start an IAPT course, but combined with my SSRI, it seemed to pick me up really quickly.

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 23:38

Really, so you're not aware that both NICE and our NHS have a stepped care model and sections about patient choice?

So what if "the gold star treatment is X" we don't do that over here. Welcome to a public health system.

I wasn't talking about the other person I have no knowledge of on another forum, i'm talking about Reb on NMP. I'm thankful that NMP admin don't respond to people calling to remove them from the forum because of their opinion about them.

As for the rest, blah blah, it's of no interest to me. .

---------- Post added at 23:31 ---------- Previous post was at 23:26 ----------

[QUOTE=Gary A;1616997]

I agree she needs to do something, I also think it's daft she's been refused face to face therapy when my CBT therapist informed me you can even get CBT for dog phobias. Surely life afflicting mental health disorders should be prioritised over dog phobias (although I'm sure dog phobias can be debilitating too).

She can't get it, KeeKee, she has moved to SK within months. There was no physical way of providing it in the timescale remaining if they had started it the next day.

It's like ServerError said, she may have to decide between delaying her work in SK or putting up with it. The NHS at the most could offer online supported CBT but I'm not sure whether that's even allowed with someone no longer accessing a GP?

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:31 ----------

It's a sign of my own progress that I don't even properly remember. I've had health fears, but it's never been the central theme of my anxiety.

A lot of my CBT was helping me deal with my symptoms as they were at the time, especially the panic attacks and derealisation. It was pretty successful. I appreciate I had the bare minimum as is standard when you first start an IAPT course, but combined with my SSRI, it seemed to pick me up really quickly.

Ok thanks, with it being relevant to your point on helping her with her thinking it seemed worth asking someone in the thread I knew had recently been through therapy.

MyNameIsTerry
25-11-16, 06:53
I'm done with this forum. Thanks to everyone for their genuine comments and in particular Terry whi gets a lot of slack fighting my corner when he shouldnt have to.

Take care, Reb. I never like to see anyone leave unless it's for the right reasons, let alone disputes or arguments. Do what you believe is best for you and if you go I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Cheers to SLA too for the kind words. :yesyes: