PDA

View Full Version : Referral to Endo what to expect -Thyroid

Munchlet
22-11-16, 15:56
Hi

I've posted a couple a times about suspected thyroid issues and my GP thinks I have subclinical hypothyroidism and has referred me to endocrinology.

I just wondered if anyone can tell me what to expect. Basically I have lots of symptoms of hypothyroidism. My last TSH was 3.06 and GP said that whilst she feels my symptoms are related to low thyroid (I also have a goitre) she can't prescribe medication until my TSH goes over 4.

She did however say based on my goitre and symptoms she can refer me to endocrinology.

I'm nervous and not really sure what to expect so wondered if anyone has any experience and can tell me what normally happens,

I have a feeling that they won't treat it, last time my Free T4 was measured it was just in the normal range but apparently the NHS only routinely screen TSH which is another reason I've been referred.

I know this is my HA coming into play but I keep thinking what if something else is going on, I keep reading that in hypothyroidism the TSH always rises and if you have low T4 and normal TSH then it can be pituitary tumours etc so now I'm panicking. Although GP said my TSH isn't normal, they look for it to be below 2 for normal but if it's under 4 then they can't treat.

Sorry for rambling!! Any advice greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks