PDA

View Full Version : Cystoscopy, bladder cancer? Please help am so distressed.

jessieblue
22-11-16, 18:30
Hi there, I have to see urologist tomorrow, it is probable he will do a cystoscopy on the day, but not guaranteed. I had symptoms of cystitis last week an blood and leukocytes on dipstick. I had a similar event 2 months ago but with only leukocytes. I suffered years ago with a sensitive irritable bladder possible interstitial cystitis, but havent been troubled with that for many years until now. I was afraid of bladder cancer back then too, but never had a cystoscopy. I am terrified to say the least. I am so so sure I have cancer. Bladder or kidney........I had urine culture sent off a week ago but no result as yet, but i very much suspect there will be no infection as there wasnt before on many occasions. Anyhow 5 days of cipro hasnt cleared symptoms so I suspect either no infection or some horrible antibiotic resistant strain. Ypu name it I am imagining the worst! I cannot imagine getting through this. I am crying all day and trembling. Its hard to tell how many of the bladder symptoms are now anxiety related as this was a big part of my problem last time. Anyone have any experience of these problems or cystoscopy? I am 53 yo woman so in that danger zone I guess.

miggymoggy
23-11-16, 11:02
Hi Jessie
I hope this will make you feel better.
I have suffered with my bladder for years (since I was 3 years old). I get recurrent bouts of cystitis and have been diagnosed in the past with interstitial cystitis.
About a year ago I kept having pains in lower abdomen. The dip test showed blood and protein in urine and they assumed infection, but when the sample was tested no infection.
I was referred to a urologist.
I was terrified. I was crying in his office and saying I though I had bladder cancer.
Anyway, I chose to have the cystoscopy with a general anaesthetic as too terrified to be awake, and guess what - absolutely nothing wrong!!
He said I just "have a ropey bladder". No cancer, nothing sinister. He said some people just have blood in their urine (not visible to naked eye) for no reason.
You could be exactly the same!
And if it's any consolation, even in the highly unlikely event it is bladder cancer, my 76 year old father was diagnosed with that last year and is now completely cured! (But it won't be that anyway). Bladder cancer is curable.

jessieblue
23-11-16, 12:01
Thank you so much for replying miggmoggy! It does help to hear your story, but its so hard not to imagine the worst. I have appt for uro this afternoon and he may do the cysto there and then. I am also having weird kidney pains, but not bad pains. They come and go, so they have been treating me for kidney infection but I dont think I have that as I am not ill enough and been on ciprofloxacin which is a strong antibiotic for 6 days. The pains arent getting any better and I am still weeing a lot. I have never had kidney pain before with my bladder problems but I cannot be sure its in my mind because I am so anxious. I really hope I can get some answers today. I have literally been climbing the walls with anxiety and i wonder how much more my body can take. Im glad your tests all came back ok.