PDA

View Full Version : Scared of dying, where to go for help when needed

Massive worrier
23-11-16, 12:04
Hi, I stumbled across this page this morning when I was looking for help with a health related panic attack. I live on my own and often get the feeling that I am going to die if I'm not seen by a doctor immediately. I often imagine having to phone an ambulance, what to do if I faint... This morning I woke up didn't feel too anxious but I suddenly felt like I had a temperature, my body kept going hot and cold. Last night I was up with symptoms of urine infection. But I have had this checked so many times recently and they find no infection. I also take medication and often worry that the medication will finish me off too. I resisted phoning 111 or the doctors as I have found they don't deal with anxiety. I phoned the samiritans (no answer) then no panic (didn't feel better). The problem is panic. Now, I realise I wasn't in a medical emergency, though I was convinced at the time! I'm looking for ways to reduce this anxiety when it happens, I want to get to the stage where I believe that it is just panic and I'm not dying. I have tried CBT, mindfulness, psychotherapy, councilling and still battling with this anxiety. I take beta blockers for social situations and have never taken antidepressants. I'm starting to get to the point where I feel like antidepressants are my only option. I would be grateful to hear what helps others when they feel this anxious as for me I only want to take regular meds as a last resort.

Thank you, apologies for the rambling.

venusbluejeans
23-11-16, 12:11
Hiya Massive worrier and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

bibbs
28-11-16, 07:17
Im new here also. Ive been on venflaxin for two years and a boat load of cbt therapy. My panic attack:)s are back. Yday was horrendous as I have no one and a recent breakup. Ive called out ambulance so many times and Yday had to breathe and think this is just panic xx

straylight
03-12-16, 17:33
Hi, sorry to hear you're on your own and suffering. I haven't tried it myself, but have you tried EMDR? At least one person here has found it helpful for health anxiety. I can't post links as I'm too new, but googling for EMDR health anxiety has a NMP post from 2012 where user swgrl09 was saying it's actually making a difference to them.

Massive worrier
03-12-16, 23:05
Hi, thanks for replying. I have heard of emdr, it sounds really interesting and would be keen to give it a go. I'v just been referred back into the MH service so will ask them if they offer it.

---------- Post added at 23:05 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

Im new here also. Ive been on venflaxin for two years and a boat load of cbt therapy. My panic attack:)s are back. Yday was horrendous as I have no one and a recent breakup. Ive called out ambulance so many times and Yday had to breathe and think this is just panic xx

Hi bibbs, sorry to hear your struggling :( It's hard isn't it. Mine comes out of nowhere sometimes after a period of feeling ok. Its hard to think at the time that it will get better, but it will.