PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of going crazy!!!!

James loveslife
24-11-16, 08:23
Hi everyone. I'm new here.

I have suffered from bad bad health anxiety but am actually overcoming it!!!!! Yay!!!!!

However in the last 2 days I have been having really deep troubling thoughts.

For example to start I thought 'what in this world is real?' Which I know is a silly vague question but it seemed to confuse me - and that scared me a little. However I managed to overcome that. And now it doesn't bother me.

However in the yesterday I was thinking deeply about life and the human body and I looked at my arms and thought to myself 'who's body am I in?' Which again is a strange thing to think however ever since I can't stop thinking it as when I look at my arms and think it. I almost become unrecognisable and it gives me a horrible feeling. It's as if I have never properly looked at my body in detail. And as if my mind is detached from my body. I feel as if I'm going crazy and it's killing me!!

I need something to counter this thought like a fact. For example when I thought what in he world is real. I counter acted this thought by thinking that everything we see is technically real.

This will probably not make much sense as I'm panicking but it's so annoying as I've just overcome my health anxiety through CBT and family support - I started to feel great and now this is the worst I have fealt as the thought of this body not being mine is awful.

Please tell me I'm not going crazy????

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you overcome it????

Is it still my anxiety????

And can someone give me a thought to counter act when I question myself.

Thankyou :( any comment is appreciated.

thebluerecluse
24-11-16, 09:25
Sounds like depersonalisation/derealisation. Yes this is something that can be caused by an anxiety/depression disorder. I get this myself sometimes but not as bad as you. Try not to think too much about abstract things like the nature of reality, it can lead you down some pretty dark paths trust me.

Mindfulness is a good way to ground yourself, if you've gone through CBT you have probably heard of it. Think about what you're doing at the moment, look at the things around you, think about something you need to do for work/school, talk to someone about something mundane.

SLA
24-11-16, 09:31
In the deep midst of anxiety, and intrusive thoughts, I thought I was going crazy.

The questions you ask a perfectly natural questions that manifest from the subconsious sometimes.

'what in this world is real?'

Whether or not you pursue these questions is up to you, but finding the answer to philosophical questions is hard.

One realisation I have had lately is that everyones version of "reality" is different. VASTLY different in some cases. You only have to look at religious beliefs to see an example of that. (or this forum!)

Anyway....

You are not going mad. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

James loveslife
24-11-16, 09:56
In the deep midst of anxiety, and intrusive thoughts, I thought I was going crazy.

The questions you ask a perfectly natural questions that manifest from the subconsious sometimes.

Whether or not you pursue these questions is up to you, but finding the answer to philosophical questions is hard.

One realisation I have had lately is that everyones version of "reality" is different. VASTLY different in some cases. You only have to look at religious beliefs to see an example of that. (or this forum!)

Anyway....

You are not going mad. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thankyou. It this deffo not anything bad then and I'm not losing my mind.??????????Because that is what terrifies me.

Anyway thanks for your reply. I feel so much better when I'm in college like I am now and I'm distracted :)

SLA
24-11-16, 09:58
Continued reassurance has to come from within. I've already said what I think. :winks:

Love ya.

James loveslife
24-11-16, 10:06
Continued reassurance has to come from within. I've already said what I think. :winks:

Love ya.

But is this fairly normal with anxiety - I just want to know so I can put it down to my anxiety?

It legit scares me to think I'm losing my mind

SLA
24-11-16, 10:14
Read the last sentence of my first post in this thread.

I'm not purposefully being an ars*hole. You just have to change the way you think to beat anxiety. And if you continually seek external evidence to reassure you, you'll never beat it.

True change comes from within.

James loveslife
24-11-16, 10:25
Read the last sentence of my first post in this thread.

I'm not purposefully being an ars*hole. You just have to change the way you think to beat anxiety. And if you continually seek external evidence to reassure you, you'll never beat it.

True change comes from within.

Thankyou mate I appreciate it - if I avoid thinking deeply about these thoughts will it be better :)

SLA
24-11-16, 10:26
Best of luck, and stick around!

James loveslife
24-11-16, 10:31
Any more advice or reassurance??

I appreciate everyone who has contributed so far :yesyes:

Fishmanpa
24-11-16, 10:47
Any more advice or reassurance??

Only that continued reassurance doesn't help as it just makes the hunger for it increase. DPDR (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms#Depersonalization_Derealization_Feeling_o f_unreality) is a very common anxiety symptom and theme on the boards.

I would revisit the practices you used to help yourself initially. Hope you get back on the healing track soon!

Positive thoughts

swajj
24-11-16, 11:49
Go and see a professional. That's my advice. There are no psychiatrists here.

MyNameIsTerry
24-11-16, 12:08
But is this fairly normal with anxiety - I just want to know so I can put it down to my anxiety?

It legit scares me to think I'm losing my mind

You are better switching to the DP/DR board for this. Yes, we actually have an entire sub board purely for it, it's that common!

Often this one comes as a result of a panic attack or high levels of anxiety.

You are not asking anything everyone with DP/DR hasn't covered at some point and it will be worth looking at their threads because they contain advice on dealing with this symptom.

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

Thankyou mate I appreciate it - if I avoid thinking deeply about these thoughts will it be better :)

Pushing thoughts away can give them importance, accepting them as just thoughts tends to be better since the subconscious starts to learn they don't matter since you don't react in a negative manner. The same can be said for intrusive thoughts.

James loveslife
24-11-16, 12:47
You are better switching to the DP/DR board for this. Yes, we actually have an entire sub board purely for it, it's that common!

Often this one comes as a result of a panic attack or high levels of anxiety.

You are not asking anything everyone with DP/DR hasn't covered at some point and it will be worth looking at their threads because they contain advice on dealing with this symptom.

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

Pushing thoughts away can give them importance, accepting them as just thoughts tends to be better since the subconscious starts to learn they don't matter since you don't react in a negative manner. The same can be said for intrusive thoughts.

Yeah that's true. I've dealt fine today at college coz I'm distracted.

James loveslife
24-11-16, 18:59
Would everyone class this as derealisation

SLA
24-11-16, 19:38
I'd always defer to Terry on these matters. :D

James loveslife
24-11-16, 19:42
I'd always defer to Terry on these matters. :D

What do you mean sorry?