PDA

View Full Version : This constant fear of cancer is wearing me down :-(

BrokenGirl
24-11-16, 14:06
I'm living in constant fear of cancer. It's been constant for about 6-8 months now.
I had a mole removed yesterday and I have to wait 6 weeks for the results.
And added to that today I'm worrying myself to death about bowel cancer. Saw a bit of blood when I wiped.
Convincing myself that my mole was melanoma and it's spread to my bowel
Am I being crazy??
I am starting counselling tomorrow. Is that what I need??

Fishmanpa
24-11-16, 14:09
Am I being crazy??
I am starting counselling tomorrow. Is that what I need??

No, not crazy but definitely in a spiral. Good going with starting counselling and yes, that's a step in the right direction.

Positive thoughts

BrokenGirl
24-11-16, 14:48
Thanks Fishman
I think on some level I agree with you in that i'm in a spiral. But rational thinking just goes out the window with HA.
I'm just hoping that the counselling will make me see things more logically, and over time the fear will start to subside.
I know I can't have a different type of cancer every day, but HA WILL make you believe all sorts.................

SLA
24-11-16, 14:54
Rational thinking does go out of the window.

Just got to climb out the window and go and get it back.

Best of luck. While I haven't worried about every type of cancer, I know how consuming the worry can be.

rainbow
24-11-16, 15:11
It's exhausting is'nt it? Trying to get through every day living with all these thoughts running through your mind constantly! I literally never get a minutes peace from the thoughts, I argue with myself in my head and even out loud if I'm in the house myself. Feels like I'm going mad.

Good news about the counselling, it will really help to be able to speak to someone about it, it's helps to put things in perspective. I've had cbt twice and it does help.

BrokenGirl
24-11-16, 17:02
Thanks guys. And I hope you're right about the counselling. Constant bad and frightening thoughts in your head every day is not good for anyone.
The thoughts are just so strong, and every time I truely believe that this could be the one. I know I've been wrong many many times in the past about my symptoms, but what if i'm right this time.......
It's a vicious circle!!

rainbow
24-11-16, 20:42
It's the " what ifs" that torture us! Good luck with your counselling tomorrow.

BrokenGirl
24-11-16, 21:45
Thanks rainbow. If we could get rid of those "what ifs" then we'd have a much happier life. Fingers crossed my counselling will be the starting point that I need........

SLA
24-11-16, 22:14
"What Ifs" can also be immensely positive.

Its all a matter of perspective. It's not the "What Ifs" fault!