PDA

View Full Version : Advice for dealing with fiancee in rehab for xanax and alcohol

GADlover
24-11-16, 16:06
Hello everyone,
My fiancee finally entered rehab a week ago for alcohol and xanax. He was taking up to 2 mg xanax a day for 3 years, and has been an alcoholic since he was a teenager. As of yesterday he is completely off of everything except lamictal for seizures and depression, buspar, and beta blockers.

I can't seem to find any information on how xanax withdrawl and GAD go together. I find lots of info on effects of xanax withdrawal, but they are all about the short term withdrawal, and do not address long term mental affects.

He doesn't want to see me because he thinks he may have a panic attack which are leading to seizures right now. How long will this last? I have a hard time talking to him on the phone because some topics cause him to start panicking. I try to avoid topics I know will upset him, but I don't always know what will set him off.

I know everyone has different experiences to withdrawal and recovery, but I would like to know some individual experiences, because I am sure there are commonalities.

What were your psychological problems like after withdrawal?
How long did they last? How long was the intensity? Anything helpful your spouse, friends or family did to ease your anxiety? Any other random pieces of advice?

Thank you in advance!

jefry
07-06-17, 15:50
Hello everyone,
My fiancee finally entered rehab a week ago for alcohol and xanax. He was taking up to 2 mg xanax a day for 3 years, and has been an alcoholic since he was a teenager. As of yesterday he is completely off of everything except lamictal for seizures and depression, buspar, and beta blockers.

I can't seem to find any information on how xanax withdrawl and GAD go together. I find lots of info on effects of xanax withdrawal, but they are all about the short term withdrawal, and do not address long term mental affects.

He doesn't want to see me because he thinks he may have a panic attack which are leading to seizures right now. How long will this last? I have a hard time talking to him on the phone because some topics cause him to start panicking. I try to avoid topics I know will upset him, but I don't always know what will set him off.

I know everyone has different experiences to withdrawal and recovery, but I would like to know some individual experiences, because I am sure there are commonalities.

What were your psychological problems like after withdrawal?
How long did they last? How long was the intensity? Anything helpful your spouse, friends or family did to ease your anxiety? Any other random pieces of advice?

Thank you in advance!

The Addiction Rehab Process (http://www.rehabs.com/about/the-addiction-rehabilitation-process/)