PDA

View Full Version : 7 months of hypoglycaemia worries, could just be anxiety?

anxious_thoughts
24-11-16, 19:28
Hi guys,
I've been on and off this website posting about my low blood sugar obsession and worries that I have literally implanted in my brain and it's been so hard to get myself out of this slump I'm in.

I get health anxiety badly over my blood sugar. Especially in the morning, I tend to always feel a bit off until it comes to lunch time. I'm worried that my blood sugar is having problems. I've never had issues with it before and I've had tests for diabetes and I haven't even been prediabetic.

These worries happen about every 3-4 hours after eating. My symptoms are usually fear, total panicked feeling, loss of concentration, rarely ever actually hungry, and a feeling of slight dizziness an lightheadedness. My fear happens to mostly heighten when I'm in public. I schedule my day around the times I eat. So I always eat at home before going out and I make sure I'm only out for a maximum of 3 hours because if I go longer I start to get those worried symptoms that literally eats away at me all day long :(

Because of the non stop eating, it has caused me to gain over 20 pounds and I'm literally feeling so terrible about my weight and just having to live with the anxiety. I honestly look at myself in the mirror and hate the way I look because last summer I lost 20 pounds and having it all come back is so discouraging.

Today got me thinking big time. I finished my lunch around 1:15. It was pretty healthy and a meal that's supposed to keep you full for a while. I had lentil soup with ground beef and veggies. I read lentils can keep your blood sugar stable IF that's actually what's wrong with me. I've never actually gotten any blood tests done in about a year. After my lunch I went to do some errands. I was supposed to go to two stores but only went to one because of my anxiety. It wasn't even an hour after eating and I started to get those symptoms that I associate with low blood sugar. Before it though I was feeling hot because I had my winter coat on, and I think that sparked the anxiety and then it went from there. I got that dreaded feeling along with those symptoms and the worry that I would faint because of low blood sugar. But then I realized it hasn't even been 3-4 hours since I've last eaten. Now maybe that's just proof that the symptoms I'm associating to low blood sugar aren't because of that reason but because of my generalized anxiety. I don't know what to think.

I'm so sorry about the long rant guys, but it really feels better writing it down and being able to speak to others that understand what it feels like living with anxiety.

anxious_thoughts
25-11-16, 21:07
Anyone?

Fishmanpa
25-11-16, 21:22
Let me ask you.... If in the 7 months you've been worried about this and not been diagnosed with this issue, what is the probable cause of your worries?

Positive thoughts

anxious_thoughts
26-11-16, 17:12
Hi Fishmanpa,

I see what you're saying, but I haven't actually been to the doctors to get any form of diagnoses. Of course I'm too nervous to actually go. :doh:

Fishmanpa
26-11-16, 17:20
"I've had tests for diabetes and I haven't even been prediabetic"

Which means? :)

Positive thoughts

anxious_thoughts
26-11-16, 18:01
Do you think those would still be okay even if they were done last year?

Fishmanpa
26-11-16, 18:25
Personally, based on your OP and post history, I would say you're not hypoglycemic and the issues you're dealing with are due to your anxiety disorder but I'm not a doctor, just someone who has observed this pattern in you before. No one here can surmise either so that puts the ball totally in your court. If you're too afraid to see a doctor then that just keeps you in the same place.

What have you been doing lately to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Sparkling_Fairy
26-11-16, 18:51
What strikes me is that you rarely have a feeling of hunger. That to me says you're not hypoglycaemic. A constant feeling of hunger would be more a symptom of hypoglycaemia. That no matter how much you eat, you can't stop feeling hungry.
Trust me that anxiety can make you feel weak and shaky, I had it for a big part of last year! I would also sometimes think it was my blood sugar and would drink coke to even it out. But I had my blood tested in the middle of it and my sugar levels were fine.
So all down to anxiety! It sucks, but it won't harm you.

anxious_thoughts
26-11-16, 19:29
Personally, based on your OP and post history, I would say you're not hypoglycemic and the issues you're dealing with are due to your anxiety disorder but I'm not a doctor, just someone who has observed this pattern in you before. No one here can surmise either so that puts the ball totally in your court. If you're too afraid to see a doctor then that just keeps you in the same place.

What have you been doing lately to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

It seems like every year i worry about something else. I'm just really finding it difficult to overcome this and I actually feel the anxiety symptoms getting worse. Especially after I found out that hypo symptoms are exactly like anxiety ones.

I haven't been doing much. I try to exercise but then I heard that makes your blood sugar drop. Just adds tommy list of worries.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

What strikes me is that you rarely have a feeling of hunger. That to me says you're not hypoglycaemic. A constant feeling of hunger would be more a symptom of hypoglycaemia. That no matter how much you eat, you can't stop feeling hungry.
Trust me that anxiety can make you feel weak and shaky, I had it for a big part of last year! I would also sometimes think it was my blood sugar and would drink coke to even it out. But I had my blood tested in the middle of it and my sugar levels were fine.
So all down to anxiety! It sucks, but it won't harm you.

Hi Sparkling. Thanks for the response.
I read that your blood sugar can drop even when you don't feel physically hungry. The only time I feel hungry now is as soon as I wake up. I'm eating snacks between meals so they've put me off from feeling hungry. I'm too afraid of what will happen if I don't eat every 3-4 hours. I ate lunch today at 1230. Had a tangerine at 130 and now it's 230...almost at my 3 hour mark since I've had lunch and I'm already starting to feel anxious. I don't know if it's anxiety due to low blood sugar or just my anxiety causing this.

It definitely sucks cause we begin to train our brains to think certain ways and it becomes a routine. I'm thinking of maybe getting a glucose monitor but I'm afraid I'll turn that into an obsessive routine as well.

pulisa
26-11-16, 19:34
Are you afraid to let yourself get hungry because of the symptoms hunger can cause which mirror those of anxiety? Do you think you have a fear of becoming hungry?

anxious_thoughts
26-11-16, 19:43
Are you afraid to let yourself get hungry because of the symptoms hunger can cause which mirror those of anxiety? Do you think you have a fear of becoming hungry?

Well, I'm not sure if it's that. But it all started one day when I was in class in April. That morning I didn't eat much, only a slice of toast with a couple of pieces of deli turkey. In class I started to feel dizzy and lightheaded out of nowhere (however I was feeling hungry at the time) so I made sure to drink my tea but it made me start to worry about my blood sugar going too low. It helped a bit. But ever since then I've had this fear of fainting or dying due to low blood sugar so I try not to wait too long between snacks or meals.

Elsiebear
02-12-16, 19:24
Hi Jennclark
I am brand new on here .yours is the first post I've read and i am almost in tears with relief as what you are going through is almost identical to my problem.
My sugar levals drive me crazy....plumit away within 3 hours of eating .My handbag is constantly full of bannanas and nuts.
I am a singer and my uncontrollable fear is of suddenly feeling faint whist on stage.That has happened a few times and i live in total fear of this even though i stuff bannanas down my throat just before a show.
The fear is so great that every time im in a public place now such as the supermarket i have a panic attack
So you are not alone at all .I'm going to put a new thread up about my experiance too so hopefully more people will come forward who share our plight
Take care x