PDA

View Full Version : Motor neuron disease

LE
25-11-16, 10:53
I worried sick that I have this.

Have pressure on one side of face near eye. On same side I have noticed when I smile this side pulls up more. I've looked back at photos only see this has been happening for just over a year.

My left calf feels slightly thinner than my right. Also feel I'm tripping up sometimes when out on uneven ground with my left foot.

I've just turned 36 and I'm terrified. I saw a neurologist last week but it was morenfor headaches and the eye pressure. I never mentioned the smile. He did donsome neuro tests but no walking ones.

Colicab85
25-11-16, 10:59
The Brain Tumour to ALS thing seems a very common progression in Health Anxiety.

You don't have ALS, I know this.

LE
25-11-16, 11:02
How do you know it's not? I'm scared.

SLA
25-11-16, 11:33
You are expecting your body to act and behave like a perfect human.

I have noticed when I smile this side pulls up more.

Normal

My left calf feels slightly thinner than my right.

Normal. You should see my legs. You'd laugh.

Also feel I'm tripping up sometimes when out on uneven ground

Thats why you need to go careful on uneven ground. Sometimes you trip.

I've just turned 36 and I'm terrified.

I'm about to turn 34 and I am terrified too!!

You aren't thinking rationally. Nothing you mention remotely points to ALS.

swajj
25-11-16, 12:22
Read below. It is part of a post that a neurologist addressed concerning someone's fear that they had MS. Then maybe do a search for the username. You might find his posts reassuring.

RLR (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?u=4444) http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/statusicon/user_offline.gif

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/flags/United%20States.gif

Re: MS worries
It's important for you to acknowledge that clinical diagnosis, particularly where neurodegenerative diseases are concerned, is quite complex and under no circumstances can accuracy of such a task be accomplished by attempting to draw subjective comparisons between the symptoms you feel and some list of clinical findings consistent with Multiple Sclerosis. I can tell you that with a great deal of confidence and certainty because I'm a retired neurologist and was in practice for more than 40 years.

The case with absolutely all neurological disease is the specific company that certain symptoms keep, or in other words the specific presentation of very specific symptoms known in clinical medicine to be distinguished from other conditions. You make no mention of a single one of these specific caveats which would suggest the possibility of MS.

Self-diagnosis can be the devil's own quill in persons with health anxiety, for the more apprehensive they become that their summations are accurate the more anxiety is produced, followed by an increase in somatoform or physical symptoms which only serves to reinforce their notions. It is a cycle that can be very difficult to break and it's critical for you to realize that the reason for such resistance has to do with the development of a specific type of fear that suggests a threat to survival.

This type of perception causes the brain to respond in a very particular manner that is genetically pre-wired in the brain to identify and overcome the threat such that feelings of safety are re-established. Again, this is an innate survival response induced by the brain and it's the very process which causes persons to feel compelled to confirm their suspicions and because it feels natural, the individual is often convinced by the "gut" feeling that their suspicions are accurate. In actuality, the exact opposite is most often the case and efforts to self-diagnose are far from the requisite accuracy.

Indeed, anxiety can induce physical sequelae very similar to some neurological diseases and the reason for this is quite simply that both anxiety and true neuropathology invoke changes upon the one and only existing nervous system. Thus, the layperson looks directly past this obvious fact and instead is driven to make associations which by their interpretations, seem completely rational and substantiated.

axolotl
25-11-16, 12:29
I worried sick that I have this.

Have pressure on one side of face near eye. On same side I have noticed when I smile this side pulls up more. I've looked back at photos only see this has been happening for just over a year.

My left calf feels slightly thinner than my right. Also feel I'm tripping up sometimes when out on uneven ground with my left foot.

I've just turned 36 and I'm terrified. I saw a neurologist last week but it was morenfor headaches and the eye pressure. I never mentioned the smile. He did donsome neuro tests but no walking ones.

This has been a very common fear on here recently. I've had it briefly myself, during a wider spell of MS fear.

There has been some very good advice on here recently, but the main gist is the symptoms of ALS/MND are dramatic and fast. People's presenting symptoms are they suddenly can't do something they could do before, such as button up a shirt, or lift a kettle. Your "symptoms" are not dramatic, they are instances where you're self-analysing yourself too much, and wondering if things you've never noticed before are normal.

Having a possibly slightly crooked smile for a year doesn't fit with a fast and dramatic illness, does it?

It is also very, very rare.

You asked another user how they can be sure you don't have ALS? That's not the right question. We can't open your head and have a look. But we can say there isn't a single thing you've said that points to anything other than over-analysis and anxiety we've all experienced in some way or another.

KeeKee
25-11-16, 12:29
I'm about to turn 34 and I am terrified too!!.

That made me laugh!

LE, my left leg is noticeably thinner than my right. You can visibly see the difference when I wear skinny jeans (which is every single day). This is completely normal and I'd guess pretty common, especially if you're right side is you're dominant side.

When I smile one side of my mouth is higher than the other, I also have one upper eyelid droopier than the other. Both, as far as I am aware, normal.

We aren't meant to be symmetrical.

Colicab85
25-11-16, 13:49
How do you know it's not? I'm scared.

Like I've mentioned to another poster recently.

Nearly all instances of MND start with a really obvious thing, like slurring words, not being able to swallow correctly, not being able to grasp things or walk properly.

Also, like Terry (i think it was Terry) said, the odds of you having a Brain Tumor and ALS at the same time would be astronomical and less than a week ago you were terrified of a BT.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

Read below. It is part of a post that a neurologist addressed concerning someone's fear that they had MS. Then maybe do a search for the username. You might find his posts reassuring.

RLR (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?u=4444) http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/statusicon/user_offline.gif

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/nmp/flags/United%20States.gif

Re: MS worries
It's important for you to acknowledge that clinical diagnosis, particularly where neurodegenerative diseases are concerned, is quite complex and under no circumstances can accuracy of such a task be accomplished by attempting to draw subjective comparisons between the symptoms you feel and some list of clinical findings consistent with Multiple Sclerosis. I can tell you that with a great deal of confidence and certainty because I'm a retired neurologist and was in practice for more than 40 years.

The case with absolutely all neurological disease is the specific company that certain symptoms keep, or in other words the specific presentation of very specific symptoms known in clinical medicine to be distinguished from other conditions. You make no mention of a single one of these specific caveats which would suggest the possibility of MS.

Self-diagnosis can be the devil's own quill in persons with health anxiety, for the more apprehensive they become that their summations are accurate the more anxiety is produced, followed by an increase in somatoform or physical symptoms which only serves to reinforce their notions. It is a cycle that can be very difficult to break and it's critical for you to realize that the reason for such resistance has to do with the development of a specific type of fear that suggests a threat to survival.

This type of perception causes the brain to respond in a very particular manner that is genetically pre-wired in the brain to identify and overcome the threat such that feelings of safety are re-established. Again, this is an innate survival response induced by the brain and it's the very process which causes persons to feel compelled to confirm their suspicions and because it feels natural, the individual is often convinced by the "gut" feeling that their suspicions are accurate. In actuality, the exact opposite is most often the case and efforts to self-diagnose are far from the requisite accuracy.

Indeed, anxiety can induce physical sequelae very similar to some neurological diseases and the reason for this is quite simply that both anxiety and true neuropathology invoke changes upon the one and only existing nervous system. Thus, the layperson looks directly past this obvious fact and instead is driven to make associations which by their interpretations, seem completely rational and substantiated.

This is a phenomenal post! If it isn't already, I would sticky this!

NancyW
25-11-16, 14:54
I bow to RLR, wish he was here now.

Is there a,way to compile all that we have of his postings and save them to one spot?

Josh1234
25-11-16, 16:16
ALS doesn't cause pressure, nor affect the eyes, nor the face really until the very, very end. Move on, now.

LE
25-11-16, 21:16
It's horrific feeling like this. All day today I've had right oressure all over left side of my face. Even opening my jaw to drink feels difficult. Feel unsteady on left side when walking. And this constant brain fog. Then the pressure around my left eye.

I am honestly terrified of what is wrong with me and feel that it's not going to be found as doctor's are fobbing me off. I just felt the neurologist last week didn't take me seriously. There defintely feels like something is oj g on with the nerves in my left side of face. I just don't know what to do any more.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

That made me laugh!

LE, my left leg is noticeably thinner than my right. You can visibly see the difference when I wear skinny jeans (which is every single day). This is completely normal and I'd guess pretty common, especially if you're right side is you're dominant side.

When I smile one side of my mouth is higher than the other, I also have one upper eyelid droopier than the other. Both, as far as I am aware, normal.

We aren't meant to be symmetrical.

Hi yes my right side is my dominant side. It just that when I look back at pictures say a few years ago my face isn't doing it there. I don't know if it just changes with age right enough.

KeeKee
25-11-16, 21:22
It's horrific feeling like this. All day today I've had right oressure all over left side of my face. Even opening my jaw to drink feels difficult. Feel unsteady on left side when walking. And this constant brain fog. Then the pressure around my left eye.

I am honestly terrified of what is wrong with me and feel that it's not going to be found as doctor's are fobbing me off. I just felt the neurologist last week didn't take me seriously. There defintely feels like something is oj g on with the nerves in my left side of face. I just don't know what to do any more.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Hi yes my right side is my dominant side. It just that when I look back at pictures say a few years ago my face isn't doing it there. I don't know if it just changes with age right enough.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm 28 now and my upper eyelid for definite never used to droop this way. It's not massive or anything, but is noticeable if you are looking out for it. I would imagine things like this can happen as we get older.

LE
25-11-16, 22:10
I'm 36. This all started with me noticing one eye brow is lower down. Was convinced something awful but then found photos from 16 years ago and was same then! I've just never noticed. Now though all this pressure on my face is terrifying me. I want to believe it's just anxiety but it's so hard as it's defintely there.

swajj
25-11-16, 23:27
Colicab and Nancy when my anxiety was at its worst I would come here just to read rlr's posts. They always calmed me down. He had a forum too and heaven after he passed away I would go and read it. The forum is inaccessible now. However Terry thinks there might be a way to get it back. So if anyone has those skills this the web address

palps.chemicalforums.com

---------- Post added at 07:52 ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 ----------

I did not type heaven I typed even
Stupid bloody iphone

---------- Post added at 07:57 ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 ----------

Oh and I'm not sure he has passed away either but he would be in his late 90s now so it can reasonably be assumed.

very odd the word heaven inserting itself in that part of my post hey? Maybe divine intervention. lol.

Sometimes you have to laugh. It helps relieve tension. It really does.

LE
25-11-16, 23:38
I tried searching for RLR posts but can't seem to get them?

swajj
26-11-16, 00:01
Go to a search and click on advanced search. In user name type RLR. That works.

He talked a lot about MND but I can't remember if it was here or on his own forum. I do remember him saying that almost all incidents of MND start with trip and fall accidents. So the individual just trips and falls for no reason. Or the individual might be holding a cup and it just falls out of his or her hand for no reason. He said it is a disease that progresses rapidly and there are no good days and bad days. It just gets worse because the nerves are dying and it is a process that is irreversible. You do not have MND. I thought I had it so I read his posts on it very carefully. Your "symptoms" sound nothing like MND but they do sound exactly like health anxiety. Search the site for MND or ALS and you will conclude that it is common for HA sufferers to fear they have it. Just as they fear brain tumours, MS, heart disease and cancer of any part of the body.

LE
27-11-16, 09:17
Now I am freaking out!

I've woken up twice past couple of nights drooling in to my pillow. I also when drinking from a can of juice dribbled a bit. I am so terrified I have all the signs of als.

Does anyone know whether this is how it happens?

Kathryn313
27-11-16, 10:07
When did you first fall over?

Phuzella
27-11-16, 10:13
Surely everyone dribbles on their pillow? ?

LE
27-11-16, 10:55
Hi

I haven't fallen over as such just felt my foot dragged when uneven surface first time it happens a few weeks ago.

The other thing that has happened isninfeel incant sneeze! The feeling comes over me like it's about to happen but then it goes away before I get the achoo part!!

SLA
27-11-16, 11:56
:doh:

I would suggest seeing a Doctor with these symptoms, but I think if you went there and said:

I sometimes feel like I might sneeze but don't.
A bit of juice dribbled on my chin after drinking out of a can.
I dragged my foot on an uneven surface.
I drool on my pillow.

doctor's are fobbing me off. I just felt the neurologist last week didn't take me seriously.

LE
27-11-16, 12:02
Do you mean you think the doctor would be concerned?

SLA
27-11-16, 12:28
How do you come to that conclusion from my post? :D

No. You don't have any symptoms of ALS.

You have symptoms of being human.

LE
27-11-16, 12:52
Is not being able to sneeze a symptom of als?

SLA
27-11-16, 13:32
I've no idea.

Do you know?

---

A cursory search on the internet would make me say no. People report sneezing actually to be a serious problem if you have ALS.

LE
27-11-16, 15:32
No I don't know either and I darent look it up!

I guess from the reading inhave seen it can cause people to laugh or cry uncontrollably so I'm thinking it probably isn't a symptom.

I have the read over the sticky on the mnd forum which explains how it happens and like what others have said here it's sudden. It also doesn't get better.

SLA
27-11-16, 17:31
I darent look it up!

Why?

Fishmanpa
27-11-16, 17:47
Is not being able to sneeze a symptom of als?

Does 1+1= 24?

With respect, all the things you're saying just don't add up to any kind of motor neuron disease.

Positive thoughts

Josh1234
27-11-16, 17:56
Jesus, you're now just making things up? Why would you even bring up sneezing, possibly triggering someone else here, then say "I don't know if it's a symptom, I haven't looked it up." What's next, saying an itchy arm is ALS? "Well, I don't know if it is, I haven't looked it up."

Stop. You don't have ALS. Go get on an SSRI and seek immediate help for your hypochondriasis.

LE
27-11-16, 19:55
Sorry I didn't mean for me to trigger anyone as said I don't think it is anyway.

I'm just a mess just now frantic with worry over every thing I feel. I'm on fluoxetine just one week. I have been on it previously but stopped it in June when I was pregnant.

I'm sorry if I've upset anyone.

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Does 1+1= 24?

With respect, all the things you're saying just don't add up to any kind of motor neuron disease.

Positive thoughts

Thanks Fishmanpa,

How are you keeping?

You were a great help to me in 2013 when I had my middle baby. After I have a baby my anxiety comes back really bad. I'm at an all time low. Back on medication and just hope to get some relief soon.

KeeKee
27-11-16, 19:59
To be honest this is a HA forum, if you are easily triggered then you should just stick to your own threads. I understand it can trigger people, I've been triggered myself by other posts, but that was my own fault for reading them.
I don't believe anybody should have to filter their own threads just in case it triggers others. When it's an obvious trigger most people would mention in the title 'possible trigger' but not everybody thinks that way when they're freaking out.

swajj
28-11-16, 08:15
What is it that you want people to say? I gave you the advice of a former neurologist. Other people on this thread have given you reassurance and advice. None of it seems to be alleviating your fears. Maybe you need to seek real life help.