PDA

View Full Version : Heart Worries :/

Devyn
25-11-16, 12:34
21 years of age.. i wake up with very mild angina and i automatically think i'm going to have a heart attack soon :/ i'm not sure what to do with my health anxiety anymore, it's taken over my life....:weep: every morning i get up, the first thought that comes into my head is "Is my heart okay?" , i check my pulse, make sure it's not racing, etc but just having MILD pain in my chest is enough to scare the s.. out of me. anyone else just as bad as me? i get premature ventricular contractions about 5-10 times a day. my symptoms are: Heart palpitations, Insomnia, Brain fog, Muscle spasms, Bowel troubles, Acid reflux/GERD (Sometimes feels like food is stuck in my throat), etc. Not sure what to do anymore :( i always feel like something is wrong with me... and maybe there is :weep:

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 ----------

Also: I've been experiencing agoraphobia.... I'm nervous about going outside or hanging with friends . Would love to meet some people in the same boat as me.

axolotl
25-11-16, 13:06
Have you been diagnosed with angina? That's a very specific term for a condition, rather than just meaning generic chest pain. Also when you use terms like "premature ventricular contractions" is that a doctor talking, or a layman's understanding of Googled symptoms?

The reason I ask is because your use of medical terms makes me suspect you're making yourself worse by Googling and self-diagnosing.

I had to go to A&E with chest pains and palpitations a couple of years ago, and it was all down to stress. I still get the symptoms now, but now don't worry about it and put it down as a useful indicator I'm getting too stressed. All the other symptoms are common stress symptoms too. Muscle spasms, insomnia and bowel issues are all things I experience.

If your heart worries you see a doctor, they'll be able to tell you quickly if there's anything to worry about, or send you for tests to make sure. But there's nothing there beyond the anxiety symptoms a lot of us experience, and talking to a GP about anxiety would be a useful step.

Devyn
25-11-16, 13:14
Have you been diagnosed with angina? That's a very specific term for a condition, rather than just meaning generic chest pain. Also when you use terms like "premature ventricular contractions" is that a doctor talking, or a layman's understanding of Googled symptoms?

The reason I ask is because your use of medical terms makes me suspect you're making yourself worse by Googling and self-diagnosing.

I had to go to A&E with chest pains and palpitations a couple of years ago, and it was all down to stress. I still get the symptoms now, but now don't worry about it and put it down as a useful indicator I'm getting too stressed. All the other symptoms are common stress symptoms too. Muscle spasms, insomnia and bowel issues are all things I experience.

If your heart worries you see a doctor, they'll be able to tell you quickly if there's anything to worry about, or send you for tests to make sure. But there's nothing there beyond the anxiety symptoms a lot of us experience, and talking to a GP about anxiety would be a useful step.

Ive been to the doctor many times and the Emergency Room 2 times. The last ER visit wasn't that long ago, i was having an irregular heart beat, hot flashes and nausea, all my vitals turned out to be fine, EKG came back fine and my bloodwork came back fine. I was prescribed an anti-histamine that also acts as an anti-anxiety. I do constantly put myself under alot of stress continuously overthinking about my heart/brain fog/muscle spasms, anything that i think is wrong with me, i'll overthink to the point of a panic attack or to the point where i'll be tensed up without even realizing it and have to 'manually' rest myself. The brain fog is really whats bothering me though.. i feel dumber.. like 20-30 iq lower, i feel like my cognitive ability has gone down tremendously. i can't remember things anymore, its hard concentrating, it's hard thinking of specific words to say, hard to spell words, hard to understand a sentence so i'll have to read it over and over etc. I'm not sure what to do :/ i think something is neurologically wrong with me honestly.

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------

And yes... I didn't mean 'angina' i just meant i was having mild chest pains when waking up this morning. and also the kind of palpitations i feel are probably PVC. Both from Google but my palpitations feel like this... Heart beating normal, then "pauses" and feels fluttery, then the next beat will be hard, then will go back to normal.

axolotl
25-11-16, 14:25
Heart beating normal, then "pauses" and feels fluttery, then the next beat will be hard, then will go back to normal.

That's almost a perfect description of what I feel when stressed. Properly freaked me out when I first had it.

I had some ECGs, and was told it was within normal variation for heartbeat and nothing to worry about.

I don't know if this is "premature ventricular contractions" or not, but you need to stay off Google, there's no way to become a self-taught heart expert through Googling stuff. There's a reason why doctors do a decade of gruelling training and get paid so much, you know!

i think something is neurologically wrong with me honestly

Again, are you qualified to diagnose neurological conditions? No. Leave the diagnosing to a doctor. But again there's nothing here that a look round this forum will tell you are common symptoms of anxiety, however odd and scary they may seem.

Devyn
25-11-16, 15:00
That's almost a perfect description of what I feel when stressed. Properly freaked me out when I first had it.

I had some ECGs, and was told it was within normal variation for heartbeat and nothing to worry about.

I don't know if this is "premature ventricular contractions" or not, but you need to stay off Google, there's no way to become a self-taught heart expert through Googling stuff. There's a reason why doctors do a decade of gruelling training and get paid so much, you know!

Again, are you qualified to diagnose neurological conditions? No. Leave the diagnosing to a doctor. But again there's nothing here that a look round this forum will tell you are common symptoms of anxiety, however odd and scary they may seem.

I've had them for years but they come and go... i guess depending how much stress i put on myself. the biggest symptoms i have right now are heart flutters/palpitations and brain fog. that's what i just cant get over. my brain fog is so bad :weep:

Fishmanpa
25-11-16, 15:47
21 years of age.. i wake up with very mild angina and i automatically think i'm going to have a heart attack soon :/

I have angina. You don't. You know 100% this is your anxiety by your post. I'm sure others will chime in that have experienced similar issues but the bottom line taking the steps to treat the illness you do have (anxiety). Treating that will also help with the symptoms you're experiencing from it.

Positive thoughts

Devyn
25-11-16, 15:56
I have angina. You don't. You know 100% this is your anxiety by your post. I'm sure others will chime in that have experienced similar issues but the bottom line taking the steps to treat the illness you do have (anxiety). Treating that will also help with the symptoms you're experiencing from it.

Positive thoughts

whats the difference between angina and chest pain?

axolotl
25-11-16, 16:10

Angina is a specific condition that causes chest pain, due to narrowing of arteries. Chest pain is just a symptom.

Fishmanpa
25-11-16, 16:19

I've had two heart attacks, triple bypass surgery and stents. Angina is caused by reduced blood flow to the heart caused by narrowing of the arteries (i.e. heart disease). At 21, you just don't have that!

Chest pain is a very common anxiety symptom due to things like muscle tension, reflux/gerd etc. Your chest pain is a combination of these things exasperated by you hyper-focusing on it.

Again, there are many here who suffer the same things. Look at the bottom of your page and you'll see similar posts.

My daughter is your age. She suffers with anxiety and depression. She got help, worked her hiney off and is graduating college next month. I hope you take the steps to help yourself, overcome your anxiety and move forward with your life.

Positive thoughts

Devyn
25-11-16, 16:43
I've had two heart attacks, triple bypass surgery and stents. Angina is caused by reduced blood flow to the heart caused by narrowing of the arteries (i.e. heart disease). At 21, you just don't have that!

Chest pain is a very common anxiety symptom due to things like muscle tension, reflux/gerd etc. Your chest pain is a combination of these things exasperated by you hyper-focusing on it.

Again, there are many here who suffer the same things. Look at the bottom of your page and you'll see similar posts.

My daughter is your age. She suffers with anxiety and depression. She got help, worked her hiney off and is graduating college next month. I hope you take the steps to help yourself, overcome your anxiety and move forward with your life.

Positive thoughts

I'm honestly not as bothered with my heart anymore as I am with my brain fog.. my brain fog is whats causing so much anxiety and stress that im thinking something is neurologically wrong with me... i have constant right eyelid spasms that dont go away even if im calm.. almost 2 weeks straight now with it. plus the palps+all other symptoms its only natural for someone to think somethings wrong with them :/ and i can't accept that its anxiety. i dont know why, ive been trying for years

Fishmanpa
25-11-16, 16:52
But your post title is about your heart. So now that your heart worries have been rationalized you've shifted your worry elsewhere. It's a very common trait of HA sufferers.

Here you go! SYMPTOMS (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms). Read through that, especially the part about brain fog/DP/DR. The fact you're posting here proves you know exactly why you're feeling this way. What are you doing to treat your anxiety currently?

Positive thoughts

Devyn
25-11-16, 18:43
But your post title is about your heart. So now that your heart worries have been rationalized you've shifted your worry elsewhere. It's a very common trait of HA sufferers.

Here you go! SYMPTOMS (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms). Read through that, especially the part about brain fog/DP/DR. The fact you're posting here proves you know exactly why you're feeling this way. What are you doing to treat your anxiety currently?

Positive thoughts

But it's the brain fog that's making me anxious about things like my heart which causes symptoms, you see? :/ currently im doing nothing for myself in terms of controlling my anxiety... i take propranolol at night but it only causes insomnia, and they dont control my heart palpitations since i can have them even on the medication. maybe its because i'm only on 20 mg/day of it.. which isn't very much. i could ask my doctor about taking more than one a day but propranolol is supposed to control your heart palps which it isn't doing for me.. i'm continuously having them. i can get anywhere from 2-20 a day.