PDA

View Full Version : Scared of Leukaemia

Hayter
27-11-16, 07:30
Hi everyone,

I have suffered from HA for nearly 10 years, but mine comes and goes.

Generally I will become ill and jump to the worst conclusion which will trigger my HA.

This time feels differently. Its been maybe 2 years since my last flare up.

I have been feeling very fatigued for the past 2 months. But put this down to the change in seasons. But I have also been suffering with mouth ulcers at one time I had 9 at once. I probably have had at least no less than 3 for a good couple of months. This led me to the doctors and I had some blood tests.

Well I had the results back yesterday and I have a low white blood count and I have to have it retested again in 3 weeks time. Well ofc this has set me off.

I'm now scared I have leukaemia. Thing is it's not just those symptoms I have. Upon reading the list it seems I have a few more that I had over looked.

I get very itchy at night , I have had back ache at the base of my spine for 2 weeks, and a pain in the left hand side under my ribs and I have been ill twice in 2 month which isn't like me

But worst of all I have been over eating a lot on a lot of bad food ( normally very healthy) but with fatigue I've just looked for comfort food. I haven't put on a pound which I normally gain weight easily in fact I've probably lost a couple of pounds.

I don't know what to do with myself. Im convinced I have this horrible disease.

Hayter
27-11-16, 12:16
No one got any advice?

robin321
27-11-16, 14:49
When we are anxious and read symptoms the mind will focus on these or on times we had them. This is called confirmation bias.
I know someone who had leukima and the symptoms were not mild, and his blood was off the charts.

All of your symptoms can be attributed to anxiety. Anxiety can ever lower your WBC count and make you more suspetible to things like mouth ulcers. It also speeds up your metabolism making it hard to put on weight. Last year when I was anxious I tried and tried to gain weight and kept losing it!
A year later, I am up 12 lbs without trying.

I know it will be a hard few weeks. I have been there. Use it to focus on your anxiety. Don't take your weight. Don't google. And try to be healthy. I think your counts will be fine next time.

Hayter
27-11-16, 15:23
Thank you for your reply I appreciate it.

I was t anxious about my symptoms in fact I was impressed how well I dealt with them. Didn't google or even think about them.

I only went to the doctors because I was in so much pain with the ulcers

My anxiety has only occurred since the blood test results came back low and these symptoms were way prior to that.

I'd say my fatigue and ulcers are not mild but the rest are.

Though I am not bruising easily which is a good thing I guess.

I also want to find how low the bloods were.

Hayter
28-11-16, 16:11
Just thought I'd let you guys know.

I managed to get a dr appointment today to discuss my low white blood cell condition ny.

Got into the office and explained why I was there. She looked at me and showed me the results......... the count was completely normal. It was 5.5. Looks like the receptionist who phoned had the wrong test results.

I waisted 3 days convincing myself I was doomed. I just laughed. I wouldn't of bet on that outcome this morning. Just goes to show no matter how much we think we convince ourselves we never truly know.