PDA

View Full Version : Question/Discussion about Acid Reflux/GERD

Devyn
29-11-16, 00:38
I've suffered from Acid Reflux/GERD since I was a teenager and sometimes it feels like food is stuck in the top of my throat. Is this what could be causing feelings over my heart? almost feels like an air bubble where i need to burp but i can't. this feeling is what leads me to believe i have heart problems so what else could it be? Sometimes i feel nauseous over my heart and i'm not sure how to describe it. anyone also suffer from acid reflux and get similar feelings in their chest?

Catherine S
29-11-16, 01:00
There is a definate connection between your digestive system and your heart. Nothing serious, just uncomfortable and because it's your heart it makes you scared. Anything that irritates the stomach can also irritate the heart. Which is why indigestion and acid reflux can cause missed beats and flutters. This is also the reason your heartbeats can ramp up in speed if you eat anything with additives in such as monosodium glutamate, added as a flavour enhancer in Chinese sweet and sour sauce etc, however it's also a natural substance in tomatoes but some people are sensitive to it and can react with a fast heart beat. Likewise, if you eat a heavy meal and your stomach feels bloated this can give you palpitations too.

So basically anything that stimulates your digestion, be it certain food, alcohol, coffee etc, and it produces indigestion /acid reflux, can affect your heart.

ISB

Fishmanpa
29-11-16, 01:15
Devyn,

You know I have heart disease. I've had two heart attacks, triple bypass surgery and stents. I've had a few instances where reflux caused symptoms of heart problems that sent me to the ER. In fact, my 2nd heart attack felt more like indigestion than a heart attack at first and I dismissed it as antacids reduced the symptoms (it was just coincidence). A couple of days later the same pain returned and that time there was no mistaking it.

The point being, YES, reflux can feel like real heart issues. BUT... your age and all the other aspects of your situation point away from real heart issues. Managing your anxiety, proper diet and treating your reflux will reduce your symptoms.

I can tell you flat out that there's no mistaking a real heart attack. The pain brought me to my knees and it doesn't let up! I've responded to your other threads and you've not acknowledged my posts but that Ok because I've realized your fear in real life and I know that you don't have heart disease, especially at your age and based on tests you've had.

That being said, if heart disease is your fear, you can take control now by first off treating your anxiety (stress isn't good for the heart) and starting a lifestyle that includes regular exercise and proper nutrition.

Good luck and as always

Positive thoughts

Devyn
29-11-16, 02:34
Devyn,

You know I have heart disease. I've had two heart attacks, triple bypass surgery and stents. I've had a few instances where reflux caused symptoms of heart problems that sent me to the ER. In fact, my 2nd heart attack felt more like indigestion than a heart attack at first and I dismissed it as antacids reduced the symptoms (it was just coincidence). A couple of days later the same pain returned and that time there was no mistaking it.

The point being, YES, reflux can feel like real heart issues. BUT... your age and all the other aspects of your situation point away from real heart issues. Managing your anxiety, proper diet and treating your reflux will reduce your symptoms.

I can tell you flat out that there's no mistaking a real heart attack. The pain brought me to my knees and it doesn't let up! I've responded to your other threads and you've not acknowledged my posts but that Ok because I've realized your fear in real life and I know that you don't have heart disease, especially at your age and based on tests you've had.

That being said, if heart disease is your fear, you can take control now by first off treating your anxiety (stress isn't good for the heart) and starting a lifestyle that includes regular exercise and proper nutrition.

Good luck and as always

Positive thoughts

Thankyou for the response. And no, I don't believe i've ever had a heart attack. And i'm not talking about heart burn. i'm talking about a nauseous feeling over my heart . I'm trying really hard to control my stress but it's almost impossible. Probably going to start looking for an anxiety therapist. Need to calm down and be rational again. This brain fog, eye twitching and heart palps are all making it worse but I know its all from anxiety/stress.

Fishmanpa
29-11-16, 02:46
Thankyou for the response. And no, I don't believe i've ever had a heart attack. And i'm not talking about heart burn. i'm talking about a nauseous feeling over my heart . I'm trying really hard to control my stress but it's almost impossible. Probably going to start looking for an anxiety therapist. Need to calm down and be rational again. This brain fog, eye twitching and heart palps are all making it worse but I know its all from anxiety/stress.

Good answer! :) Tackling the real reason behind your symptoms is the answer to alleviating them.

Positive thoughts

Sparkling_Fairy
29-11-16, 13:53

I know what you're describing! I also get a feeling like I'm nauseous, but not really nauseous and it seems to be centered around my heart.
However usually after a few burps it goes away, which signals to me it's reflux. Also the fact I've had it for many many months. If it was something wrong with my heart, I'm sure I would've noticed it by now.
In the last few days my reflux has gotten a lot better by cutting out (mostly) white carbs and replacing them with dark ones, going for daily brisk walks and taking an antacid the moment my stomach starts bothering me. They're of course not meant for the long run, but I believe in time the excercise and diet will help and I can cut them out.
I find that if I have stomach problems, my anxiety is really high because it's centered around my heart and overall just makes my body feel like crap. 3 days of no stomach issues, 3 days of no anxiety. So try making a few minor changes that can have a big impact on your stomach.

Devyn
30-11-16, 01:55
Thanks for all the answers. I'm currently still experiencing palpitations on a daily basis, today i had 4 or 5. i've been trying to relax and take it easy but it's hard taking my mind completely off of it. its like i've made my mind always think about it now and its impossible to not concentrate on my breathing/heart rate. anyone else get this?

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

Today I had flights that all together took about 4 hours of air time so i've been anxious all day of course worrying about my heart while being in an aircraft doesn't help cause you feel boxed in/no one can help/take to long to get help, etc. i made myself go on vacation so i could maybe just get my mind off of it for a few days. hopefully it'll help. I flew into Orlando so if anyone is near that area let me know :)