PDA

View Full Version : Bump after getting blood drawn! Worried!

misslove
29-11-16, 21:25
I have had blood drawn a few times and never had any issues. But when I got home and took the bandage off I have a marble size lump where she stuck the needle in. It hurts pretty bad when I bend my arm and it's starting to look bruised. Wondering if it's normal of if I have s huge blood clot in my arm. Help please!

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Called the dr and followed her instructions. Sat with ice on it for an hour and now a heat pack. Still hurts like crazy to bend my arm. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow so I can stop freaking out about it!

Annie0904
29-11-16, 21:28
It happened to me once. It can happen if you don't press down on it straight after the blood is taken.

misslove
29-11-16, 23:18
It's starting to feel warm where it's swollen but idk if I'm symptom searching. But the hand on the same arm kinda hurts I my palm.

MyNameIsTerry
30-11-16, 04:16
Something like this happened to me too. The nurse drew my blood and rather than pull the needle out at a sharp angle she went for a shallow one and it scraped along my arm all the way out. It's the only time it's happened, and I've had loads over the years for things before my anxiety, and it none of them used this shallow angle.

I'm sure it will be fine soon as your body repairs anything for you, as it is meant to do. Give it some time, sometimes our nerves can end up pressed on from swelling so you get strange tingly loss of sensation feelings. They would know from your description if there was a problem, these are bread & butter jobs to nurses.

misslove
30-11-16, 13:31
There's a pretty colored bruise starting lol but the swelling is mostly gone. Still hurts like the dickens. I don't think I'll be going to that lab again for any future blood work! It's not where OBGYN is it's the local medical center so I chose it out of conviencd. 5 min vs 30 min drive. Next time I'll just drive to the hospital lab! Thanks for the responses!