PDA

View Full Version : CITALOPRAM 20MG

Sarah-Jane
18-10-04, 23:47
I went back to the doctors today and she prescribed me citalopram 20mg 1 tab per day, can anyone who has taken these give me there experience of taking them and anyone who can give me details of what they do and any side effects thanks

Love Sarah-Jane xxxx

twister
19-10-04, 13:41
Hi Sarah

These tablets are SSRI's - selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors - they block the re-absorption of serotonin back in the brain therefore giving you more happy juice to play with.

They have a number of side effects to begin with which a lot of people experience but don't worry they will wear off. Most common effects are increased panic, fatigue and nausea and these ususally last around a week, therefore it is useful to have a supply of diazepam/valium to take concurrently for a week or so. My biggest tip would be to take these in the morning as they can stop you sleeping at night and gave me super weird dreams!

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

sal
19-10-04, 19:09
Hi Sarah Jane

I am on citalopram and i started of on 20 mg but started myself really gradually as on other tablets for anxiety i suffered severe side effects and i had take that drug about 3 years ago and gave up after 10 days as felt worse but was on about 30 mg to start of with.

I started by taking 5mg then after a couple of days 10 mgs then was up to 20mg within a week and felt no side affects doing it like that.

They have helped a lot of people i know. They do take time to work but that is all part of our illness. I hope they give you some help and pleased bare with any side affects as they do wear of.

Love Sal xxxxx

nomorepanic
19-10-04, 19:35
Sarah-Jane

I am just collating all the posts on this medication into one reply so please watch this space as they say .....

Nicola

Sarah-Jane
19-10-04, 22:04
Thank you everyone for your replies, it has given me a bit more courage to now start taking them i will start on them tomorrow doc also gave me some diazapam as a back up ...i just hope they sort me out. I have had a better couple of days since sunday i have the tight feeling in my chest and panicy feeling comming over me but (TOUCH WOOD) have not gone into a full blown panic attack, i have been either feeling really tired and sleeping loads or find that im wide awake and hyper my god i was up till 3am this morning ironing till i sat down almost falling asleep so went to bed but god i got to sleep right away which hasnt happened for a long time now.

Love Sarah-Jane xxxx

sal
19-10-04, 23:18
Hi Sarah Jane

A positive start, just give yourself time and the tablets.

Good luck and here if you need to talk.

Love Sal xxxxx

sarah
21-10-04, 14:24
Hi Sarah-Jane

I hope you are doing ok after your first tablet..im sure you are!
I too am on Citalopram ...30mg.
After living life as a hermit (lol) I am now pretty much back to normal. The meds will sort you out in the short term while you deal with whatever pressures caused the panic in the first place.
Im glad you got to sleep straight away, that was one of my problems too, was always awake at all hours.

take care
love Sarah
xx

sal
21-10-04, 14:56
Hi Sarah Jane

Hope you have a good weekend, will be in touch when i get back.

Take care.

Love Sal xxxxx

davebrum
21-10-04, 15:04
hi sj
im on cialopram 60mg it has changed my life after years of trying sssssoooo many other tabs- i had the usual when i started them - tight band around my head - abit of a dry mouth which went after about a week - good luck on them hun
love david

Sarah-Jane
23-10-04, 17:24
Been feeling very tired and falling asleep at the drop of a hat i know i wanted to rest more and be able to sleep but this is rediculous lol

Love Sarah-Jane xxxx

kellie anne
09-11-05, 03:03
Can anyone tell me when you know the dose is right. I started taking 10mg Celapram (Citalopram) 4 days ago and seem to be shaking worse. I understand this is one of the side effects and hopefully it will go but I am supposed to go up to 20mg after a week and don't know if I should if 10mg is making me shakey.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Nicky
09-11-05, 09:36
anyone get diarrea with these tablets that lasts a while like weeks? ive been gettin it but not feeling any pain or anything just the poo is light brown to dark brown and sometimes is sort of solid. Eek! hahaha

hmcgowan
09-11-05, 17:43
Hi Sarah-Jane.

I was given Citalopram 20mg a few weeks ago by my GP. They had quite bad side effects with me and I stopped taking them because I felt sick constantly and I slept all day due to lack of energy. Ive now been givn Sertraline 50mg(!) because I counldn't cope with the side effects but I would give the citalopram a go because they have different effects on everyone and u may feel ok with them.

Helen xx

H McGowan

tvargo70
03-03-06, 18:28
HELP!! Years ago I was on Celexa 20mg. when my dad passed, after a year, I got pregnant and problems with my mom my stress is incredible again, so I went to the doctors and he gave me a RX for Celexa/Citalopram 20mg., I took it Wednesday night, which I was nervous about and within an hour, i was so tired, had panic attacks, anxiety attacks, would lay down, sit up, stand up, walk around, couldn't keep still, my heart was racing, I was shaking, my stomach hurt, which made me scared. Called the doctor who called in 10mg., I want to try but am scared, I thought about cutting in 1/2 and trying but am scared this is going to happen again, please help, does anyone know why this would happen?
Tania

Chunky Monkey
05-03-06, 07:08
Hi guys,

I have just recently been prescribed these, been taking them for 3 weeks and i still have side affects, not sleeping well, a feeling of numbness across my arms & legs and feeling very light-headed. As for moods, not sure if these have helped yet as i still feel a little down, however, i seem to be in a more "carefree" mood.

Hope i am finding you all well
Take Care

Robertc160882
05-03-06, 09:59
Hi Sarah Jane,

I just started taking 20mg of citalopram 2 weeks ago and they have helped me a lot. I found the side effects to be really bad if you look at my previous post痴 you will see this. I think it is very important to stick by them because they are life changing and will help you deal with your problems. I know I知 not yet 100% back to normal but I知 at least 60%, which is a big improvement as I was really bad last week.

One thing I would say is when you get to a level were you notice things are improving it is important to challenge yourself getting out and about etc. If you do this you will deal with situations a lot better and build up your confidence again. Again if you look ay my success stories over the past few days you will see it will benefit you. Last week I was confined to the house only leaving the house to get cigarettes and that was hard, now I知 out almost every day going for meals and everything.

Well I really hope this helps and if you want feel free to pm if you have any questions given I have only just started on these my memory is a little fresher.

Robert

andrew england 2
05-03-06, 12:10
I have an appointment with a gp on weds to consider starting on these and from the sound of it i definetely think i will ask to start on 5mg a day - i tried them once before 2 yrs ago and gave up after 3 days cos i felt sick as a dog and i am a lot weaker than i was then tho i do now have this forum and a data base of knowledge - knowledge is strength I hope

mandie34
06-03-06, 10:54
Hi

I have been back on these tablets for 3 weeks now. I was on them last year for 5 months, but this time round they are making me feeling really sick. I feel so tired but know that this will hopefully pass soon.

I am feeling quite good on them already, its just this horrible nausea now is starting to get me down.

Anyone else feel really sick whilst taking these tablets?

mandie x

mandie34
06-03-06, 10:55
Hi

I have been back on these tablets for 3 weeks now. I was on them last year for 5 months, but this time round they are making me feeling really sick. I feel so tired but know that this will hopefully pass soon.

I am feeling quite good on them already, its just this horrible nausea now is starting to get me down.

Anyone else feel really sick whilst taking these tablets?

mandie x

Robertc160882
06-03-06, 11:00
Hi Mandie,

I have found the sickness to be very bad on these on one of my previous post I said I feel as if I知 pregnant it is that bad I知 only physically sick in the morning. You have took them before so I知 sure you can understand what is causing this and hopefully it will pass.

I have been them now for 2 weeks so hopefully mine will settle down with time we I have my toes and fingers crossed anyway.

Robert

mandie
06-03-06, 11:28
thank u Robert. My sickness is always worse in the morning, and i dont remember feeling as sick last time.

just have to give it time i suppose

mandie

mandie
06-03-06, 11:29
thank u Robert. My sickness is always worse in the morning, and i dont remember feeling as sick last time.

mandie

mandie
06-03-06, 11:30

mandie

clairef
30-03-06, 16:50
Hi everyone

I have been on Citalopram for 9 months and had all the same side effects at the beginning. I felt as though they were really helping but in the last couple of months, I feel like I have been sliding back down again. My bad days seem to be out-weighing my good days, and the mood swings seem to be lasting longer. I seem to go from one extreme to the other and am struggling to find a middle ground. My doctor says I should try councelling along with the medication but I am really nervous as I don't know what to expect.

Thanks for letting me let off some steam!

Clairef
x

Claire Flynn

PanickyPolly
02-06-06, 16:40
Just wondered if the following symptomscould be cpiralex side effects:

dizzyness, fainting, excessive sweating, blurred vision and increased bleeding. I now bleed after sex and going to the loo. I've had every test under the sun and doc can't find anything wrong with me. Only things left I can think of is side effects of the drug.

LickeyEndBlues
06-11-06, 13:55
I've been on Citalopram 20mg/day for five weeks now. Side effects are as already described here although I had the headaches for a long time before I started.

As I sit here the benefits are that some of my irrational and weird thoughts have significantly reduced and I am getting to sleep a lot easier, although last night took a while. I am having some pretty weird dreams some of which are waking me and are related to panicky stuff or feature people in my past

I havnt experienced any hyper drive that has been mentioned here and by gp, if anything I feel lethargic and afternoon nausea doesnt help either.

I take the tablets first thing.

Last visit to GP maintained the current dose with a possible view to increasing it I think. The Psychiatric doc I see has agreed with this and has suggested the possible addition of lithium in future. I am seeing a doc at least once a fortnight at present and have been referred for counselling /cbt

Iain

Laissez les bon temp roulez

Helenas2
13-11-06, 15:32
Hi Very new to this site.
I have just come off a 3 year course of Citalopram
Was firstly prescribed to control a series of Panic attacks. Immediately after taking the medication - my panic and anxiety went away. Three years on and after gaining 2 stone from the medication i have promted myself to come off and try and loose this excess weight!! I came off slowly as sugestted by doctor - I have been completely clean for 1 month so am very proud of that.

My anxiety and panic has returned, not sure if its withdrawals or if i actually am going mad.

Does anybody have a simular story of coming off - and progressing?

mushroomwirral
14-11-06, 11:16
i have been on 20 mg for about 3 months and i am fine but apart from a little hyper i found 10mg no good from dave

smudgie
13-01-07, 03:42
HI
IVE BEEN TAKING CITALOPRAM SINCE NOV05, BEST THING IVE EVER DONE. YES HAD SOME SIDE EFFECTS IT FIRST SICKNESS AND DIZZY BUT IT SOON PASSED.
IM NOW TAKING 40MG ADAY DUE TO MY SITUATION AND I COULDNT COPE WITHOUT.
REMEMBER ONE THING IF SOMEONE BROKR THEIR LEG THEY WOULD NEED A CRUTCH, IF OUR EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS NEED SOME HELP THE DRUG IS A CRUTCH BUT IT CANT BE SEEN AND YOU DONT HAVE TO LET ANYONE KNOW YOUR TAKING IT.
LOOK AFTER YOURSELF AND DONT BEAT YOURSELF UP.
TAKE CARE NESS

ness

samc100
13-01-07, 21:31
Hi Sarah-Jane

I am another one on 20mg of Citalopram. Been on them nearly 6months now. I started on 10mg but after 6 weeks got put onto 20mg.

The side effects were yucky and I still have very vivid dreams which I blame on the tablets. I try to take mine in the morning as I find it doesn't disturb my sleep so much.

But the positive effects certainly outweigh the initial side effects and as someone who refused to take them at first I have been pleased I have cos' I managed to get alot of my life back slowly.

Jonas900
06-03-07, 10:06
Hi

Not posted on this site for a few years now!...and that has been down to my taking Citalopram,worked wonders for me,i started on 40mg then 20 then 10 and now im back on 20mg

Unfortunatly im a real mess at the moment and i dont know why,panicky all the time,although the fact that i ran out of Citalopram 2 days ago cant help!,doh

Also on Diazepam as a short term 'crutch'

I dont recall having too many problems with side effects other than a bit of nausea and weird dreams for a few weeks,just ride those few weeks out and things get alot better

Oh and i take mine in the morning,seems to work best for me

Paul :)

dollydaydream
07-03-07, 17:28
I was put on 10mg of Citalopram by my Dr 6 weeks ago for anxiety which also causes me IBS I also went to see a psychiatrist who said I experience GAD (general anxiety disorder) and she upped my tablets to 20mg, since taking 20mg for two weeks I have felt worse, very agitated and not being able to stand and talk to people as I felt anxious and that I would have to run to the toilet. But since yesterday I feel great, very calm,:D relaxed and no rushing to the loo the psychiatrist said I could stay on the tablets as long as I liked if they helped and if I feel like this I never want to come off them as I have suffered from anxiety all my life and it is awful it has got to the stage that I now cant fly as I cant cope with not being in control and claustrophobia any suggestions how I can overcome this problem would be appreciated :shrug:

Freaky Chick
07-03-07, 19:05
Hi guys

I am on citalopram as well, and i've not noticed any wierd side effects on 20mg or 40mg except some days i fall asleep around 9pm. I was upped to 60mg by the Psych last week, and I have now taken this dose for 4 days, and the only thing i've noticed is a slightly dry mouth, but it isn't annoying!

I also had 2 episodes of feeling completely back to normal, and not ill - which is great - only a few seconds each time, but hopefully that will improve. So i'm having some success.

I will agree with the slightly more panicky begining bit, but i'd had to come off St J Wort to take them, and they'd only just begun to make me feel a little human again, so the change of meds may also have played a part.

I couldn't cope with anything much for the first week or 2 but then it was difficult to say if it was the medication or just my illness, as i really was unwell at the begining.

Plus big bonus - well if you're big like me - they slowed my chocolate and stopped my crisps addictions too!!

Soda Girl
13-03-07, 18:42
Hi :)

I did take Citalopram for a while - I came off it in December last year. I started with 20mg and reduced my dosage to 10mg... I have been taking the "Happy Days" serotonin capsules since then, and drinking St. John's Wort tea...

I have been finding things rather tough recently. A beloved pet is terminally ill, and I have been so upset. I've had some family news that has taken me aback somewhat, and I have also been 'up and down' (I'm saying 'down' more than 'up' right now - I know my boss has felt/feels this way... ) at work. I really feel like I can't cope. I'm crying lots, I'm just something of a mess, I seem to be scared of everything... I really have to sort myself out, so much - my head is an utter scary mess sometimes (quite a lot of the time!) and I'm scared...

I went to the doctor a few weeks ago and she prescribed me Citalopram again (20mg). I must confess I have not taken it yet. I'm scared (yes, again... ) to take it again - my Mum and Nan have advised me that it may be for the best that I do not take anti-depressants again, given that I had taken them for quite a while (I have also taken Efexor/Effexor before). But I really feel that I need help, and I am really feeling like maybe taking the Citalopram again is the 'way to go' right now...

(I have an appointment at a local hospital tomorrow - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I understand how lucky I am to be receiving such help, and I must make the most of it... )

I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong thread... (I don't seem to know what to do about anything! Aargh... )

All the very best to everyone,
:)

Nicki22
13-03-07, 22:08
I went to the docs after Finishing my course of tablets (Propranolol) i found that they just made me tired and slowed my heart a little when i had a panic attack...So the doc wants me to start on Citalopram 20mg only prob is im so scared to start them im so scared of the side affects :weep: ....my partner wants me to start them rite away to help me get better but i keep sayin tomorrow and keep on putin it off !!

dollydaydream
13-03-07, 22:49
Hi I was worried about taking citalopram too but I found that the side effects were not that bad I just felt a bit sick and anxious for a short while it didnt effect my sleeping and I didnt have weird dreams either but when the tablets kick in you will feel alot better so stick with them, I feel alot calmer now in situations that before I couldnt cope with.

Nicki22
13-03-07, 23:44
i mainly scared of the body jerks as they can lead into fits as some of my family members suffer fits thats wot stops me takein anti depress...What are the main side affecs people have had with these ?

StuBlad
11-02-09, 03:04
Is it normal to still have the nausea associated with taking Citalopram for some time after initially going on them?

I was first put on them back in February 2007 and stayed on them till August 2007 when I just stopped taking them cold turkey and I was alright till December 2007 when I had some really bad things happen and I kinda lost all control.

I got put back onto them in February 2008 and ever since then I've been having nausea almost everyday in varying degrees.. some very mild some very stressful. Is this normal? And would me not taking them regularly affect this? Theres been times when I've stayed at a friends or my girlfriends and forgotten to take them with me and missed several days and started back on them when I got back, and times when I missed out a day or two here and there. Would this affect things at all either?

Thanks

- Stuart

Hobbes1966
27-03-09, 09:10
I went to the docs after Finishing my course of tablets (Propranolol) i found that they just made me tired and slowed my heart a little when i had a panic attack...So the doc wants me to start on Citalopram 20mg only prob is im so scared to start them im so scared of the side affects :weep: ....my partner wants me to start them rite away to help me get better but i keep sayin tomorrow and keep on putin it off !!

Nicki22 I totally understand! I have had Citalopram 20mg sitting on the shelf for four months, and have only just started taking them! I was scared after reading of all the side affects (I have never been on anti depressants before) but decided to grab the bull by the horns, today is day 6 of taking them and other than slight light headednes and feeling sick, I am, so far ok!
I wish you the best of luck and hope they work for you.
Take care,
Hobbes.

NoPoet
27-03-09, 11:59
I've probably bitched about citalopram's side effects more than anybody, but today will be my ninth dose and to be honest, on reflection I might have SCARED MYSELF into thinking my side effects were worse than they really are.

I wasn't sleeping too well BEFORE I started taking cit. I wasn't eating either. The tiredness caused by nearly 2 weeks' poor sleep occasionally gets me down, and I was waking with panic attacks before taking cit. I can't blame the medication for any of this, but I did anyway.

It definitely did increase my anxiety at first. I had a few hyperventilation moments and it was not nice at all. My first night taking citalopram was a nightmare. But in fairness I did feel crap with a panic attack when I went to bed so what do you expect?

It has given me the trembles, my tongue feels weird, my jaw is always clenched, my chest feels strange, but those are all non-serious and are manageable, if irritating. I have had some nausea and some headaches. Those are worse but still manageable.

Some of the side effects have actually started to abate. I don't need to urinate as much. Now my appetite seems to be returning. My morning anxiety is not quite so severe, even though it's still there.

Maybe in a few days' time some of my other symptoms will have disappeared. If I can make it through the storm, I will do everything in my power to help guide the rest of you too!

clarice
27-03-09, 12:18
Hi everyone Citolpram gave me dry mouth and went to bed all the time for the first month. I have been on these since August last year feeling so much better after years of anxiety. I found the side effects go after a while a nusiance I know. I felt worse at the start of treatment it took a good 3 months before I started on the road to recovery but I was in a bad state so keep your spirits up things get better. I felt I had a big boulder on my shoulder, now its a pebble stick with it at the end its worth it believe me good luck best wishes Clarice.

clarice
27-03-09, 12:22
Re Citolpram Oh I forgot vivid dreams too I dreamed Amy Winehouse and Cliff Richard were fighting how strange as I dont like either of these people LOL did talk in dreams to the departed which was not nasty there you go hope this helps Clarice.

UrbanMark
07-07-09, 20:31
Citalopram 20mg

Is THE best thing I've had for depression in twenty years. 10mg is not enough - ok to start the process but 20mg really gets you on the right track.
Forget the side effects in the first month or so - the ends definatley justifies the means!

Chris003
08-07-09, 03:20
I find Citalopram ok. However, they are AWFUL and very ADDICTIVE. In terms of being addictive, nobody wants to say yes, but they aren't like injections in the arms, quienig for relief. I mean withdrawal symptoms from Citaloprqam are AWFUL.

bcr
08-07-09, 22:45
I went on them because I had to have something to deal with what I was going through and circumstances I couldn't take time out from.

To start I was very tired and yawning. About a month of side effects.

I started taking them in the morning, about 4 months later the yawning returned so I switched to taking them at night which solved the problem.

I've come off them after 7-8 months and it has been the worst 4 weeks. Immediately I was very tired and yawning my head off. I had weird head spasm things. Two weeks after coming off them I had a huge low where I was over emotional and irrational. That eventually evened off but it's been a very unpleasant few weeks.

I don't regret taking them because of the situation I was in at the time. I probably wouldn't take them again, only if I felt it was absolutely necessary at the time. However the main thing to bear in mind is when you come off them give yourself the time and space to deal with it. If you have to go to work (as I do full time) then you will most likely want to spend all evenings and weekends sleeping for 3-4 weeks.

Marilyn27
09-09-09, 18:12
ive been on 20mg of celexa for a little over two years now. and i must say, if i DID get side effects from starting this drug, i didnt really notice because of the previous 2 other anti's i was first perscribed made me dare i say..crazy? massivly bad effects on me, this one was like a god send. lol

darklake
10-09-09, 09:21
I started taking citalopram now on my forth day and my anxiety levels are almost out of control.... is this just a bad side effect.

I do not think i have ever felt this bad.

nik.

suzy-sue
10-09-09, 09:51
Yes it is normal ,it can be awful at first but it will ease .You would have been better to start with 10mg and then after the side effects stopped increase to 20mg .Try to keep occupied and drink plenty of water .Taking your tablet with food will help .Take care and you will get support here if you need it .Luv Sue x:hugs:

darklake
10-09-09, 10:26
Thank-you Sue... I will take 10mg tonight and hope things will improve..

nik x

GordonB
17-01-13, 15:32
Hi, I am about to retire and after many years suffering with depresion my doctor prescribed 20mg Citalopram, I had the sleeplessness, lack of concentration and sexual problems at frst, but now I am stable.

I have turned from a depressed monster, who would bite anyones head off for no reason at all, into a quiet, reasonable person, who is nice to live with (my wife says so)

I now worry about coming off the medication, can anyone offer advice.

Gordon

Sparkle1984
17-01-13, 22:54
Hi Gordon, how long have you been on the medication for? I'm glad you're feeling better now.

Noddy
22-01-13, 23:32
Hey,

I think taking the meds is part of the overall solution, it helps me build up other strategies to cope. Currently i am doing meditation, yoga, regular exercise, drumming lessons (which is something i have wanted to do for years!) and counselling.
Last time i took meds i just relied on them and didnt do anything else and of course it didnt work, whereas this time i am being fairly proactive.

Having depression is just part of you, there is nothing wrong with you at all! You just need to accept that sometimes you can be depressed, its like i need to accept my anxiety and not think of it as an illness or something i need to fix. it cannot be fixed, it is there and will always be there so i need to live with it.

Good luck mate!