PDA

View Full Version : How do you accept dpdr?

viking111
30-11-16, 07:41
In order to cure DPDR I must accept DPDR and just live with it without it producing anxiety. But how can that be achieved?
I am constantly anxious most of the time, except some evenings. When I try to think positively, I get these negative thoughts that I will never recover and will stay like this forever. I also get really anxious when thinking about good old times when I did not feel this way. I also kind of blame myself for smoking weed since it did all this to me?
How do I change this pattern and start my road to recovery?

ana
30-11-16, 08:40
I feel exactly the same as you, I'm sad to say. I feel like I'm the one to blame for the state I'm in, and while this may be true because it's our feelings and our brain, our body and mind, it's not as simple as that. You're not just a product of your own free will, but of many environmental and biological factors. You can't deny the role of brain chemistry in our anxiety.
However, you could simply not make matters worse by using drugs.

My panic attacks manifest themselves as DP/DR and, just like you, I wonder how on earth will I ever recover and/or learn to just 'accept' my panic and anxiety. I've been asking myself this question for 15 years. Therapy is useful, so I'd suggest that, as is taking medication. Other than that, a recovery from panic is a complete mystery to me...

viking111
30-11-16, 10:57
Talked to a relative who had similar anxiety problems and he had recovered, although it took some time. He got me a psychologist.

ana
30-11-16, 14:32
It's comforting to hear that your relative has recovered - good on him. I hope the psychologist helps you. It's very liberating being able to talk about your issues with someone who is knowledgeable on the topic and knows how to help you.

viking111
30-11-16, 15:13
It's comforting to hear that your relative has recovered - good on him. I hope the psychologist helps you. It's very liberating being able to talk about your issues with someone who is knowledgeable on the topic and knows how to help you.

Have you been in this state non stop for 15 years or you got it first 15 years ago and have had occasional times when it's good and bad?

ana
30-11-16, 19:15
I've had anxiety non-stop for 15 years (actually, it will be 16 years in March next year). I have, however, had good and bad years. The best years of my life when the anxiety was the lowest was between 2006 and 2010. Over the years, I've had therapy (am now seeing someone else, a new therapist), have been on 7 different medications so far, and yet I'm still here. It may sound like a depressing story, but the fact of the matter is - I'm still here. :)

viking111
30-11-16, 19:29
I've had anxiety non-stop for 15 years (actually, it will be 16 years in March next year). I have, however, had good and bad years. The best years of my life when the anxiety was the lowest was between 2006 and 2010. Over the years, I've had therapy (am now seeing someone else, a new therapist), have been on 7 different medications so far, and yet I'm still here. It may sound like a depressing story, but the fact of the matter is - I'm still here. :)

Similar story for me, I've had anxiety problems ever since I started school and it was kind of non stop for me too while I was at school. Later, OCD and DPDR episodes started to appear but after like 5th grade I sorted out those problems and felt good until like 8th grade when I had an episode of depression, OCD and DPDR. I managed to get over it myself, up until this weed experience.
Once I talked to my parents and relatives, started feeling kind of better now, actually feeling the will to eat (could not eat a lot before as I had lots of anxiety).
Currently consuming B vitamins and herbal anti anxiety pills.

ana
30-11-16, 21:42
I'm pleased to hear you've started feeling a little better. It's priceless being able to talk to your parents and relatives, and have them understand and support you. Are you going to make an appointment with a therapist? If you managed to get over anxiety once, I'm sure you can do it again. :)

Lissa101
30-11-16, 22:17
You just wake up in the morning and go about your day as if it doesn't exist. When the negative and anxious thoughts creep in remind yourself that its merely an unpleasant symptom of anxiety and then move on.

I had this 24/7 for nearly a year, worst feeling imaginable, but it only got better when I started to ignore it and lose my fear of it.

Hanm88
30-11-16, 23:25
Thank you Lissa for your very beneficial comment, I'm going to start tomorrow exactly that way. I also feel exactly the same way as OP. EXACTLY. The little voice in my head keeps saying you are never going to go back to your carefree happy self because now you know this horrible dark side = panic.

NO MORE FEAR. ACCEPTANCE.

'CONTINUAL ACCEPTANCE FINISHES THE JOB ' - Claire Weekes

ana
01-12-16, 13:55
It definitely is worse when you fear the anxiety/panic, but I just can't seem to shake off my fear of it. Even if I could, I'd still not want to experience anxiety and panic attacks, and so I'd resist them, and that what you resist, persists, as we all know... :(

viking111
01-12-16, 18:48
Feeling lot better, might be herbal medications or vitamin B, or most likely positive thinking. Noticed that my thinking has become more positive.
To anyone suffering, it does get better!

ana
02-12-16, 17:29
I'm so pleased to hear you're getting better. Positive thinking seems to be the key.... Wish I could do it lol.

viking111
02-12-16, 18:29
I'm so pleased to hear you're getting better. Positive thinking seems to be the key.... Wish I could do it lol.
What helped me was talking openly about my feelings and also having a relative that has recovered, and that gave me hope. Ever since that I remeber about the hope which in turn has made me think more positively about future and generaly feel better.

ana
02-12-16, 20:03
I can only imagine how helpful it must be being able to talk about your feelings. I, on the other hand, only speak about my anxiety with my boyfriend and therapist. I'm pleased for you, though. :)

viking111
04-12-16, 20:26
Gonna see the therapist on tuesday.
Generaly feeling better, however I started noticing some memory problems and feelings like I can't feel what is present. I've read that these are normal for dpdr, but still kinda freaking out.

ana
05-12-16, 08:46
I also don't feel present in the present moment when I'm having dp/dr, and it is very unsettling. I'm seeing my therapist on Tuesday, too, lol. I hope it goes well.

viking111
06-12-16, 11:54
Talked to therapist today. He said that what I am describing is indeed dpdr and that i am using it as some sort of defence mechanism from anxiety and stress and that he will try to find the root cause of why is that happening, to be exact, why do I respond to anxiety in such a way.

---------- Post added at 11:54 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

Also, I read somewhere that severe Anxiety can cause multiple personality disorder and amnesia, is it true? Is there a posibility that I would get it?

ana
06-12-16, 12:25
To answer to the question you asked in your latest post: no. Anxiety cannot in any way cause multiple personality disorders, amnesia, psychosis, or any other mental or physical issue (other than physically manifesting through your symptoms), nor can it kill you or drive you insane. Insanity doesn't work that way.
Just a note on the symptoms: my therapist and I talked about it this morning, and I asked her why I always got dp/dr when I'm under a lot of pressure and anxious, and she said that different people reacted to stress in their own different ways. Some would get extreme headaches/stomachaches/dizziness, and others, like you (and I!) experience these mental phenomena. My therapist tells me that I use them as defence mechanisms, too, btw.

viking111
06-12-16, 17:53
Is it common that I feel bit more depersonalized after doing sports such as running? Decided to start daily running as I've heard it kind of helps anxiety in the long run.
Should I be doing sports or should I stop?

ana
06-12-16, 21:44
That might just be light-headnedness that's unrelated to anxiety. Could just be low blood pressure or simply exhaustion. I think sport definitely helps with stress and anxiety, plus it makes you feel happier and healthier. I work out 5 times a week, quite vigorously at times, and it's helped me feel a lot better.

viking111
07-12-16, 13:46
Also one weird thing I remember. Some 2 years ago I used this breathing machine that mixes air with salt water and is said to help breathing and clear lungs. After breathing that, I also had a DPDR episode that lasted for about 30 min. Sounds quite weird.

ana
07-12-16, 16:06
I doubt that's related to the anxiety attack. Could have just been coincidental. :)

viking111
07-12-16, 17:22
I doubt that's related to the anxiety attack. Could have just been coincidental. :)

Yeah I did not have any anxiety. Also I remeber when I was a kid and used to play all these chasing games dpdr would sometimes pop in for me, but I guess it is due to adrenaline.

ana
07-12-16, 21:53
Actually, I remember having the same sensations as a kid, but perhaps those were just physical triggers (adrenaline, shortness of breath, heart racing) for a mental issue that was to manifest though those same sensations later on in life. I think teaching your brain to differentiate between 'good' excitement (exercise) and 'bad' excitement (panic) is what will make you enjoy physical activity.

viking111
09-12-16, 14:15
Went to school today (haven't gone ever since this started) and I felt normal. DPDR actually disappeared for a sec when started talking to friends. It's actually better for me to be in social circumstances as I forget about dpdr.
Also I can't seem to accept the fact that this is just anxiety and get anxious from time to time. Anyone got any suggestions?

ana
09-12-16, 15:48
The fact that it goes away when you're with your friends is proof that it is only anxiety as, if it were something serious, it wouldn't go away no matter where you are and who you're with. :)
I do see what you mean, though, and I've been suffering with acceptance, too. Perhaps repeating it to yourself ('it's just anxiety; I'm ok') will eventually make the message sink in.

viking111
10-12-16, 09:46
I kinda get motivated for like 5 min after reading a positive recovery story and then believe that I can live happily even if in dpdr state, but then a bad thought pops in saying that you cannot be happy when there's anxiety present.

ana
10-12-16, 13:39
I know how you feel. Anxiety makes you feel angry, frustrated, upset with yourself, and very low and sad. The thing is, anxiety is a feeling, not your default mode. Even if it never goes from your life, so long as it's manageable, I'd say you can lead a happy existence with low to moderate anxiety.

viking111
10-12-16, 15:57
I know how you feel. Anxiety makes you feel angry, frustrated, upset with yourself, and very low and sad. The thing is, anxiety is a feeling, not your default mode. Even if it never goes from your life, so long as it's manageable, I'd say you can lead a happy existence with low to moderate anxiety.
Yea I kinda know. I've been living all my life with some anxiety, like being really anxious sometimes. What scares me is never getting out of his dpdr state when everythings weird and unfamiliar.
I still have good and bad days.

ana
10-12-16, 16:03
I think we all do. I've also been living all my life with some anxiety, sometimes good, sometimes bad, and my panic attacks are almost purely depersonalisation attacks. It's very unsettling, isn't it?
Have you thought about medication?

viking111
10-12-16, 21:39
I think we all do. I've also been living all my life with some anxiety, sometimes good, sometimes bad, and my panic attacks are almost purely depersonalisation attacks. It's very unsettling, isn't it?
Have you thought about medication?

I'll talk to therapist about it next time.
Also have you had dpdr non stop for 15 years straight? Or is it just episodes with on and off?

ana
11-12-16, 08:38
I've had some years where I've had little to no anxiety for longer periods of time, and back then, I could do the things I couldn't do otherwise (and can't do now), but I've never had a year or 6 months even with no panic. When I say 'panic', I mean dp/dr as that's how my panic attacks manifest.
There are a number of good medications out there, perhaps it's worth looking into going on anti-depressants, if your therapist suggests it.

viking111
11-12-16, 15:31
I've had some years where I've had little to no anxiety for longer periods of time, and back then, I could do the things I couldn't do otherwise (and can't do now), but I've never had a year or 6 months even with no panic. When I say 'panic', I mean dp/dr as that's how my panic attacks manifest.
There are a number of good medications out there, perhaps it's worth looking into going on anti-depressants, if your therapist suggests it.

My problem is that dpdr is here 24/7 after that weed panic attack.

ana
11-12-16, 20:07
I wouldn't know how weed affects the brain, but it may have just set something in the motion which would have become an issue anyway, i.e. anxiety?

viking111
11-12-16, 20:42
I wouldn't know how weed affects the brain, but it may have just set something in the motion which would have become an issue anyway, i.e. anxiety?
That was my third time smoking weed. First two times I went into dpdr state after smoking but I kinda was ok with it and didn't care about it and it passed. Third time was bad because I smoked too much and the effects became scary for me. I felt like my DPDR was 1000 times stronger than it used to be last time and I could not connect my brain to my vision and it all felt so weird. I freaked out so bad my friend had to take me home because I could not literary walk.
That frightened me a lot and that's why I kept being scared and that fueled my DPDR.
Anyways, my DPDR is not as bad as it was, however I still have a long way to go.

ana
12-12-16, 13:46
I'd suggest not smoking it any more. :)

viking111
12-12-16, 17:53
I'd suggest not smoking it any more. :)

Yea not planning on ever touching that thing again. Also can't consume alcohol too as it triggers DPDR too.
Went to therapist today (Got it rearranged to mondays). And he helped me realise the state i am in is due to childhood trauma. I had difficult family situation during early childhood which must have caused DPDR as my main response to stress. Also talked about medication, he said that it is best to refrain from it as it can show side effects but he will talk more deeply about it next time.

ana
12-12-16, 20:55
Any medication can give you side-effects, but that needn't be. However, I'm glad that you got to the root cause of the issue, and as difficult as it might be to talk about the trauma, as unpleasant as it might be at times, I'm sure your therapist will help you in the best way they know how. I'm pleased you got some answers anyway.

viking111
14-12-16, 19:45
Would something such as xanax help me get out of this episode? Like, I get it that it takes away your anxiety, but will it at some point stop your dpdr feelings and weird vision?
Like, could you just consume something like xanax for a month and have no anxiety at all, and DPDR hyperawareness and weird thoughts and vibes just pass or will xanax just make you chill but you will still have dpdr?

ana
14-12-16, 19:51
Xanax is a tranquilliser and just like all sedatives, it starts working after 30-60 minutes and its effect continue for a number of hours (up to 6 usually). Dp/dr happens because your anxiety levels are high, and so if you remove the anxiety, in theory, dp/dr should go, too. Whilst I'm no medical professional, I think taking something like Xanax short-term would help stop your dp/dr feelings. I still occasionally take Rivotril to help remove my dp/dr feelings.

viking111
14-12-16, 20:02
Xanax is a tranquilliser and just like all sedatives, it starts working after 30-60 minutes and its effect continue for a number of hours (up to 6 usually). Dp/dr happens because your anxiety levels are high, and so if you remove the anxiety, in theory, dp/dr should go, too. Whilst I'm no medical professional, I think taking something like Xanax short-term would help stop your dp/dr feelings. I still occasionally take Rivotril to help remove my dp/dr feelings.

Yea I will talk about it next monday. Also if you know, why is there chronic dpdr and usual dpdr? I saw these terms somewhere and they're quite confusing. Does chronic mean that someone can never fully recover or just that people with chronic dpdr always get dpdr when they're super anxious?

ana
15-12-16, 13:44
Hmm I genuinely don't know. I must admit, I've never heard of different kinds of dr/dp, but I don't like the sound of that word - chronic :scared15:. I know I get dp/dr when I'm really anxious, and occasionally get mini, short attacks.

viking111
15-12-16, 20:36
Hmm I genuinely don't know. I must admit, I've never heard of different kinds of dr/dp, but I don't like the sound of that word - chronic :scared15:. I know I get dp/dr when I'm really anxious, and occasionally get mini, short attacks.
Talked to one dude, chronic is actually term for it being your main anxiety defence. While anyone can get dpdr at some point of life, for normal people it passes quick while for people with anxiety problems it stays longer and passes only when adressed (accepted and then ignored.)
Anyways, seen an anxiety decrease compared to how bad it innitialy was. Gonna stay off the forums for some time and just carry on with life.

ana
15-12-16, 20:55
Oooh ok, well it makes sense for it to go when addressed. I'm very pleased to hear that your anxiety has decreased. I hope you continue to feel better and better. :)

viking111
16-12-16, 07:31
Oooh ok, well it makes sense for it to go when addressed. I'm very pleased to hear that your anxiety has decreased. I hope you continue to feel better and better. :)
Anxiety feels lot more manageable throughout the day, however I still feel kind sad from time to time thinking about good old times and so. There are even times when I don't have that hypervision thing and only have the sad and anxious feelings, but I am sure they will go away with medicine or just by themselves.

fishman65
16-12-16, 11:43
Yea I will talk about it next monday. Also if you know, why is there chronic dpdr and usual dpdr? I saw these terms somewhere and they're quite confusing. Does chronic mean that someone can never fully recover or just that people with chronic dpdr always get dpdr when they're super anxious?Hi guys, hope you don't mind me butting in here. The word 'chronic' means pertaining to time, especially in medical terms. So we could say we all have chronic anxiety, persisting over longer periods of time.

I usually find my own dp/dr comes on in less stressful situations, then when panic hits it seems to take priority over dp. I suppose it depends what anxiety symptom we find the most difficult to accept, in my case that's shaking/trembling usually.

ana
16-12-16, 12:50
Good point there, fishman! :) We're all chronic here lol.

viking111
16-12-16, 14:12
It's funny but I remember getting DPDR last year for laughing with friends at school too much. Seems kinda weird but it passed soon enough.
Also, right now I remember having this for long period of time back when I was a kid and first dealt with severe anxiety. I did not know what it was but I just stopped caring about it and it went away.
Kinda weird, but I'm sure I'll get over this period and try to fix my anxiety response for the future.

ana
16-12-16, 19:06
I remember having dp/dr as a kid, too, but it didn't use to scare me then. I guess the key is to not pay attention to it and to not fear it, but that's easier said than done, especially if you've spent years and years with this condition.

viking111
16-12-16, 19:48
I remember having dp/dr as a kid, too, but it didn't use to scare me then. I guess the key is to not pay attention to it and to not fear it, but that's easier said than done, especially if you've spent years and years with this condition.

Yea, the longer it goes, the harder it is to accept it because people usually blame themselves for not accepting it.

ana
17-12-16, 08:01
That's exactly how I feel! I blame myself for the majority if not all of my anxiety. I wish I could just accept it and move on from it, but the longer it goes, the harder it is, like you say.

viking111
17-12-16, 10:46
I've noticed that I have lost or lessened the hyperawareness part, like everythingn does not look so weird and fuzzy anymore unless my anxiety climbs up. What remains is just the feeling of being in a totaly new place, like having no emotional attachment to things you know, such as I percieve my room as something completely new even though I've lived here for years.

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Also, Maybe this is just health anxiety, but could teetg fillings with metcury cause more anxiety? People say these fillings don't do anything, but some say they can be concerning and bring anxiety.

viking111
19-12-16, 19:53
Had a meeting with therapist today. I was told that marijuana caused me to partially lose control over my emotions that led to some repressed or traumatic emotions from past to resurface that led to intense anxiety and DPDR as defence mechanism from all the anxiety. I might have even identified one traumatic thing, but I do know how to deal with it so I am sure I will be on the right way on dealing with it. I also noticed that I recover from anxious moments a lot faster.

ana
19-12-16, 20:09
Oh it's definitely good to know that you've got some answers from your therapist. At least now you know what's been happening to you. I'm pleased to hear you seem to be able to recover from anxious moments faster.
I'm not sure about the connection between Mercury fillings and anxiety, but I've heard they're generally bad for your health.

viking111
19-12-16, 20:16
Oh it's definitely good to know that you've got some answers from your therapist. At least now you know what's been happening to you. I'm pleased to hear you seem to be able to recover from anxious moments faster.
I'm not sure about the connection between Mercury fillings and anxiety, but I've heard they're generally bad for your health.

Yeah. at first it was pretty severe, once I felt my DPDR symptoms worsen, I entered something like a mini panic attack and felt so bad. Now, when I get more anxious, it somehow just goes away in some time.

ana
20-12-16, 11:46
Oh drp/dr provokes panic attacks for me, too. It's fantastic that you can deal with the anxiety better now. You should be proud of yourself. :)

viking111
20-12-16, 13:33
Oh drp/dr provokes panic attacks for me, too. It's fantastic that you can deal with the anxiety better now. You should be proud of yourself. :)
Yea, as I am quite religious I feel that confessing about some bad things I have done in the past should also help. Like sometimes I get anxious over my past amd bad things I have done in it and that could be a part of root cause for this anxiety.

ana
20-12-16, 13:40
Guilt is a very negative emotion which can cause anxiety. Hopefully the confession should lift some of that burden off your shoulders. If practising your religion helps, maybe dedicating yourself more to it could be something you do to occupy your time and keep your mind focused on something other than anxiety.

viking111
20-12-16, 13:45
Guilt is a very negative emotion which can cause anxiety. Hopefully the confession should lift some of that burden off your shoulders. If practising your religion helps, maybe dedicating yourself more to it could be something you do to occupy your time and keep your mind focused on something other than anxiety.

Yea, I was raised religiously but after all my problems began I started lose faith and became more depressed, however after I got over it, I felt like some magical power had indeed helped me to come out of hole so deep. Like I was sceptical but I somehow felt that faith did help me and that I need to change my life, quit all these bad habits. It is also interesting that this DPDR opened my eyes and kind of helped me to stop all that marijuana and smoking and made me see all my mistakes. I hope I get trough this and change myself in the process.

ana
20-12-16, 15:17
That sounds a very positive epiphany. They say that the most genuine faith is not one learnt but felt. If you feel that there is a higher power, then your faith is genuine. :)

viking111
22-12-16, 20:27
It's funny but the cure is really simple, thinking positively.
Like, I did not believe that but today I realised that's true. I felt severe DPDR this morning due to my OCD thoughts that popped in yesterday. And as we know - negative thinking = more dpdr because your brain gets more anxiety and gives you more DPDR symptoms.
Once I started thinking more positive thoughts and socialised, anxiety was gone and DPDR symptoms lowered.
It sounds easy and it really is, all it takes is to think positive and with time it will go away.
Anxiety makes you think lots of bad stuff, but it does pass.

ana
22-12-16, 21:37
I find thinking positively really difficult because of years and years of negative thinking. When anxiety strikes, my mind immediately goes to that bad place, and when I do try to make my thoughts more positive, it feels so unnatural and odd, so my mind dismisses those thoughts and goes back to thinking negatively.
Everything you say is true, though. Negative thinking raises our anxiety levels, and then we panic. Breaking the cycle of negativity seems to be the key to beating this Godawful condition.

viking111
24-12-16, 19:00
I find thinking positively really difficult because of years and years of negative thinking. When anxiety strikes, my mind immediately goes to that bad place, and when I do try to make my thoughts more positive, it feels so unnatural and odd, so my mind dismisses those thoughts and goes back to thinking negatively.
Everything you say is true, though. Negative thinking raises our anxiety levels, and then we panic. Breaking the cycle of negativity seems to be the key to beating this Godawful condition.

Yea, it is also really hard for me to think positively. I only get to think positively in evenings, when my anxiety is lower than in days. Also right now I am on a vacation in Switzerland but I feel that being in a new place makes my DPDR ten times worse.
Lots of distraction, like working all day long with no breaks helps some people I've read. After the school break, I'll try that technique, completely studying in order not to let my mind produce these negative thoughts.

ana
24-12-16, 20:01
You know, when I was at university, I was really working hard and studying a lot, unlike anything I had ever done before, and university years were my best years! It was a combination of a number of things, why I was better then, but giving my mind something to do, something creative and constructive, definitely reduced a lot of that anxiety. The flip side to that is that you can get very stressed out from all that pressure you're putting yourself under, and then your anxiety gets high again. It's therefore important to be careful and pace yourself.
Interesting how your anxiety is lower in the evenings. Mine goes through the roof then!

viking111
25-12-16, 13:28
Distraction seems to be the key. When I first had my bad DPDR episode during summer of 2015, I spent a whole week playing computer games non stop. I literary did not have time to think about DPDR so it passed, even though playing videogames nonstop wasn't the best idea, it did work for me.

Benisfked123
25-12-16, 15:03
In order to cure DPDR I must accept DPDR and just live with it without it producing anxiety. But how can that be achieved?
I am constantly anxious most of the time, except some evenings. When I try to think positively, I get these negative thoughts that I will never recover and will stay like this forever. I also get really anxious when thinking about good old times when I did not feel this way. I also kind of blame myself for smoking weed since it did all this to me?
How do I change this pattern and start my road to recovery?

My dp is from weed and it won't seem to go either, have you found anything that's helped you yet? If so what have you done ?

viking111
25-12-16, 15:10
My dp is from weed and it won't seem to go either, have you found anything that's helped you yet? If so what have you done ?

Weed does not directly give you DPDR. I was told that there is an underlying trauma and when you smoke weed, it gets triggered. And only way to get over this is accepting it and not fearing it at all. Like, you need to completely eliminate your fear towards DPDR and it will go. It is simply a defence mechanism for coping with anxiety and when you get scared from it, it gets fuel.

---------- Post added at 16:10 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

And again, what helped me was distraction, such as being in love and developing a relationship. Basically, do things you love and you will forget it.

Benisfked123
25-12-16, 15:20
Even when I'm not anxious it's there. Ny Dpdr is 24/7! Weirdly when I read that message I felt a relief and felt 'normal' then it came back and now I'm here :)

viking111
25-12-16, 15:48
Even when I'm not anxious it's there. Ny Dpdr is 24/7! Weirdly when I read that message I felt a relief and felt 'normal' then it came back and now I'm here :)

After you stop fearing it, it will still be there for some time until your brain chemicals get rebalanced. I've had many DPDR episodes and the latest one (exactelly one year ago) passed before I even noticed. It is 100% cureable.
My therapist also said that a trauma needs to be identified and processed which helps DPDR too. For me, the trauma was something about childhood I don't even remeber, so my therapist will help me process it.
To sum up, you need to give your brain some rest to allow chemicals to rebalance themselves. Weed did not cause us any damage, it just brought up some bad emotions and anxiety and our brains put on the defence mode known as DPDR. And if we don't fear it and forget about it, it will go away.

Benisfked123
25-12-16, 16:05
After you stop fearing it, it will still be there for some time until your brain chemicals get rebalanced. I've had many DPDR episodes and the latest one (exactelly one year ago) passed before I even noticed. It is 100% cureable.
My therapist also said that a trauma needs to be identified and processed which helps DPDR too. For me, the trauma was something about childhood I don't even remeber, so my therapist will help me process it.
To sum up, you need to give your brain some rest to allow chemicals to rebalance themselves. Weed did not cause us any damage, it just brought up some bad emotions and anxiety and our brains put on the defence mode known as DPDR. And if we don't fear it and forget about it, it will go away.

Ahh okay, my trauma is when I was high I had a major panic attack where I was convinced I was going to die. Ever since then I've experienced anxiety and DPDR. So I just got to identify my trauma and that its all anxiety and it will go?

viking111
25-12-16, 16:58
Ahh okay, my trauma is when I was high I had a major panic attack where I was convinced I was going to die. Ever since then I've experienced anxiety and DPDR. So I just got to identify my trauma and that its all anxiety and it will go?
Don't really know, but that wasn't the root cause for the panic attack. I had the same fear when I smoked. I felt like I would die and never return back to normal, but my friend with whom I smoked was totally fine. Don't know for you, but there could be some unresolved past issue, like a death of a loved one that hasn't been processed perhaps. Once I get to talk to my therapist more I'll tell you, but for now, it is best to try to ignore DPDR so that those feelings don't give you more anxiety which fuels DPDR. Also, for how long have you had this feeling?

Benisfked123
25-12-16, 17:52
Don't really know, but that wasn't the root cause for the panic attack. I had the same fear when I smoked. I felt like I would die and never return back to normal, but my friend with whom I smoked was totally fine. Don't know for you, but there could be some unresolved past issue, like a death of a loved one that hasn't been processed perhaps. Once I get to talk to my therapist more I'll tell you, but for now, it is best to try to ignore DPDR so that those feelings don't give you more anxiety which fuels DPDR. Also, for how long have you had this feeling?

About a month of DPDR. If it's trauma that causes it maybe its the fear of the anxiety symptoms? All this started since the panic attack so I'm not sure of it's cause.

viking111
25-12-16, 18:02
About a month of DPDR. If it's trauma that causes it maybe its the fear of the anxiety symptoms? All this started since the panic attack so I'm not sure of it's cause.

I think trauma could also be fear, and it is also for me. Like I don't fear it as much now as I did but it still troubles me to some extent.

viking111
28-12-16, 15:34
After visiting the therapist, I can say I've found some sort of a relief. He helped me identify the trauma behind DPDR. The reason for my DPDR was a childhood trauma - I was raised by my aunt because my parents had to work. And my aunt was dealing with some sort of depression and alcoholism due to the fact that her husband had died about 2 years before I was given to her for raising. At the time I was given to her to raise me, I was 8 month old. So everything was fine, but she was an alcoholic (she did not drink everyday, though often) and her weird behaviour(being drunk, tipsy) scared me a lot to the point where my anxiety was so unbearable, I as a child (I was around 3-5 years old when it happened.) started developing DPDR as my mechanism to disociate from problems I had at that time. Furthermore, this manifested to my OCD and my phobias ( such as being scared of darkness, mild socialphobia etc.) It is kind of weird that i only found out about them now, since I could not recall any of this before DPDR hit. I guess I had some sort of light ptsd or smth that caused me to forget these traumatic memories. Anyways, I identified the trauma which I believe is a step to recovery. I also no longer fear DPDR that much and try to accept it.

viking111
28-12-16, 21:28
Trauma processing seems to be the key of getting over DPDR. It means that you must re live your past trauma and accept the feelings DPDR tried to hide from you back then.
For me it is the story above which I had forgotten about until recently.
Anyone suffering, you should watch some Harris Harrington videos. They focus on the trauma and explains how DPDR works from that perspective.

viking111
29-12-16, 13:45
Had a really rough night with nightmares of my past and so on. I woke up feeling much less anxious and overall, my day was lot more positive. I had those few times where I completely snapped out of DPDR.
My symptoms have gone down significally, however I still got work to do.

viking111
15-01-17, 16:17
Almost two months since I hit this DPDR part. I can say that I've improved a lot since beggining. My derealization feeling has decreased quite a lot, however all that vision still frustrates me and is kind of the worst part of it. At least, my anxiety has gone back to normal levels (like I usually had.)
I know it takes a lot of time for DPDR to go away, as when it first hit hard (summer of 2015). It lasted basically for 3 months in episodical form. (Felt mild Derealization all the time and experienced some weird emotions.)

Josh1234
15-01-17, 16:44
you ignore it. literally, that's the way out of it.

viking111
18-01-17, 21:23
DPDR also seems to be heavily affiliated with self esteem and all that sense of self, which is also severely, maybe even the most severely damaged in me. I also have social anxiety and been kind of raised in isolation. All this has caused me many problems during my years of school where i was rejected by the normal person and sticked around with the so called nerd group. At first, I was jelous, but now at this point, I've become really intensively jelous even to the point where I hate normal people. Also getting rejected by many girls through the years has also deeply manifested to my self worth which in turn manifests to DPDR.
I feel like my DPDR is trying to disociate also from this social anxiety and jelousy towards normal people. Like, I simply feel kind of triggered when seeing people having a girlfriend and being normal and happy. It is kinda a feeling I like but hate at the same time, kind of like self loathing and thinking I am useless.
I believe this also strongly triggers DPDR because at times when I didn't have DPDR, DPDR would get triggered if I got somehow caught up thinking about this a lot and experiencing rejection for example.
I really have no idea how to deal with this kind of hate and jelousy and I do believe this does not help my DPDR.

Ariesa
24-01-17, 02:19
He's right on that part. The less you fear it, the less you panic the better it gets at accepting it. The first thing we cant do is victimize ourselves nor say it our faults. It's neither, it's just a state of being and a defense mechanism. Listening to calm music helps, yoga helps, meditation helps at least calm the body and mind for a time being but the main part is breathing. I know how it feels when you have a bad day, mine kick started by the intake of medicine that didn't sit right with my mind and stressed my body and mind more, on top of that being ill and unable to do anything doesn't make it any better. The confusion and anxiety crippled me. My parents think I am faking it but to be traumatized and have a defense mechanism such as this has made me cry consistently for a week. The only way to calm down at first. I found out, ON MY OWN, (Because my mother refused to let me have a therapist) crying helps message the inside of your stomach where most of the emotions, stress and everything happens. Now I am getting better by taking yoga classes, doing meditation, rating how bad each attack is and intercepting it with breathing techniques as soon as I feel it coming and accepting the after effect which is dp/dr. Also by simply accepting this is how my brain is perceiving the world for now because we simply just need rest, to slow ourselves down and to literally practice smelling the roses again. Being on our own and able to clearly think through such a disorienting feeling. A clean and organized Environment helps also, being in nature and taking organic approaches help. Medicine is not a guarantee help. it is up to you on how you want to rewire your brain and slowly come back to the real world. It's best to rewire thinking positive by telling yourself "This is simply an imbalance in the brain and body and it will pass" rating your attacks one to ten. having positive things to do to occupy you, like going and having fun, doing something you've never done before, travel sightsee. Dont let it stop you from living. trust you are here ont his earth for a reason. Otherwise the saying goes "If you dont have anything positive to think, then dont think at all, just be." and my friends it's best to just be and breath. Breathing is the essence of how we function, when having an attack you get less oxygen to the brain and more stress in the belly so learning to breath is the most basic step to getting less attacks and a more calmed body. The mind is like a computer, it needs to be reprogrammed and rewired to think positively and clearly through such disorienting feeling. Always have love and support around never just stick to two people or a depressing environment change things up. Add many more different faces and connections to your disorienting world, talk about it freely explore the different feelings it gives in that present moment and you'll slowly start to smile again and feel happy even though you feel it still there at times. I promise guys it gets better. Stay on the positive, fight the negative with all your might. I am doing my best, I just got done having an episode and to come home to a supporting family is the best thing I could ask for. Because I can scream, kick and cry and know that they'll be there to hug me and tell me it's okay. and YES I came home and kicked everything, I cried, I hit everything begging to know the answer behind this and seeing all your guys answers has made me feel immensely more positive about it. I didn't drown in the negative, I climbed out and I felt myself wake up, even if just a little or for a little while. It means there hope for a brighter better future. Just dont give up. Have your break downs, cry and scream through if you have to. Just make sure to have support. No negative people or surroundings. Even a moment of prayer helps.

viking111
24-01-17, 18:05
He's right on that part. The less you fear it, the less you panic the better it gets at accepting it. The first thing we cant do is victimize ourselves nor say it our faults. It's neither, it's just a state of being and a defense mechanism. Listening to calm music helps, yoga helps, meditation helps at least calm the body and mind for a time being but the main part is breathing. I know how it feels when you have a bad day, mine kick started by the intake of medicine that didn't sit right with my mind and stressed my body and mind more, on top of that being ill and unable to do anything doesn't make it any better. The confusion and anxiety crippled me. My parents think I am faking it but to be traumatized and have a defense mechanism such as this has made me cry consistently for a week. The only way to calm down at first. I found out, ON MY OWN, (Because my mother refused to let me have a therapist) crying helps message the inside of your stomach where most of the emotions, stress and everything happens. Now I am getting better by taking yoga classes, doing meditation, rating how bad each attack is and intercepting it with breathing techniques as soon as I feel it coming and accepting the after effect which is dp/dr. Also by simply accepting this is how my brain is perceiving the world for now because we simply just need rest, to slow ourselves down and to literally practice smelling the roses again. Being on our own and able to clearly think through such a disorienting feeling. A clean and organized Environment helps also, being in nature and taking organic approaches help. Medicine is not a guarantee help. it is up to you on how you want to rewire your brain and slowly come back to the real world. It's best to rewire thinking positive by telling yourself "This is simply an imbalance in the brain and body and it will pass" rating your attacks one to ten. having positive things to do to occupy you, like going and having fun, doing something you've never done before, travel sightsee. Dont let it stop you from living. trust you are here ont his earth for a reason. Otherwise the saying goes "If you dont have anything positive to think, then dont think at all, just be." and my friends it's best to just be and breath. Breathing is the essence of how we function, when having an attack you get less oxygen to the brain and more stress in the belly so learning to breath is the most basic step to getting less attacks and a more calmed body. The mind is like a computer, it needs to be reprogrammed and rewired to think positively and clearly through such disorienting feeling. Always have love and support around never just stick to two people or a depressing environment change things up. Add many more different faces and connections to your disorienting world, talk about it freely explore the different feelings it gives in that present moment and you'll slowly start to smile again and feel happy even though you feel it still there at times. I promise guys it gets better. Stay on the positive, fight the negative with all your might. I am doing my best, I just got done having an episode and to come home to a supporting family is the best thing I could ask for. Because I can scream, kick and cry and know that they'll be there to hug me and tell me it's okay. and YES I came home and kicked everything, I cried, I hit everything begging to know the answer behind this and seeing all your guys answers has made me feel immensely more positive about it. I didn't drown in the negative, I climbed out and I felt myself wake up, even if just a little or for a little while. It means there hope for a brighter better future. Just dont give up. Have your break downs, cry and scream through if you have to. Just make sure to have support. No negative people or surroundings. Even a moment of prayer helps.
Wow, thank you for the awesome advice. I am feeling lot better since it started (two months ago), but I still feel kinda off. I am seeing a therapist and I can say that it slowly does help me and that I've improved lot since it started.

viking111
29-01-17, 20:31
Recently hit 2 months of this terrible thing, however all my time hasn't been so terrible.
I've progressed a lot I can say. I no longer feel so terribly anxious like I did the first week where I was literary anxious every second and saw no escape from it. I also feel like my derealization and depersonalization has lessened a little bit and I no longer experience those scary and unpleasant vibes or feelings I used to. Existential thoughts are almost completely gone too. Right now I am just stuck with that weird fuzzy vision and feelings of no emotions. There are times when I feel better and feel worse, however it is much better than it was and I believe I am slowly progressing and getting better.
Also one more thing I wanted to ask to anyone who might know, should I continue exercising, such as running? For me, when I run, I start to feel like my symptoms are a lot stronger which could be due to fight or flight response being activated. Like, it feels bad but I am not scared of it, but I also don't know if I should continue exercising as it clearly also triggers this for me.